Houzz Logo Print
erinhshanley

Fireplace-- a doozy of a problem!

Okay, I have run into a bit of a renovation quandary. In the process of re-orienting an entrance in the bedroom, it seems the width of the door we just put in now runs right up against the temporary fireplace surround. (See attached pic.) We had intended to put in a new surround and mantle. It is a traditional house, so the plan was to put in a marble surround, and then some millwork and a mantle/shelf around the marble surround. (Your basic, traditional, Norman Rockwell fireplace look.) However, we will now have to either: (1) rethink our fireplace surround/millwork/mantle idea due to space issues (if so, what?), or (2) put in a more narrow door to allow space for a surround/mantle. The reason we used the current door is it is original to the house and solid wood. I'd like to keep the door, if at all possible, but I need some ideas on how to re-face the fireplace on a smaller scale! (Or, is it simply impossible/unadvisable with the current door width?) Help, please!!!!!!! :-/

コメント (4)

• PRO
    Braun Renovation Management
    9年前
    How wide is the door? The door may be original but it is a fair standard design and you should be able to purchase a new one that is more narrow. You don't want to remove to much of the mantel for safety purposes. Is the fireplace real or ventless. If it is ventless you could also remove it all together.
    erinhshanleyさんはBraun Renovation Managementさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Cindy Sherman, CKBD
    9年前
    To be clear this is the entrance into the bedroom area.. on the other side of the door is, say, your living room (or whatever)?
    If so, shortening the width of that door could cause an issue with getting furniture in/out. If this is the door to a bathroom within the master; than you could certainly go down in width.
    erinhshanleyさんはCindy Sherman, CKBDさんにお礼を言いました
  • erinhshanley
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    The door is 36" wide. Also, it doesn't show very well in the picture, but there is a 4" built-in surround around the opening of the fireplace, in addition to the current white trim. (If that makes sense.) I hadn't taken this into account. I wonder if we can do marble or tile over the existing 4" surround, and then start the millwork exactly where the trim currently is. (This means the mantle cannot extend over the millwork, or if it does, it would need to be cut around the door trim.)

We wanted to keep the fireplace. It's currently vented and wood-burning, but we planned to convert to gas logs.
  • erinhshanley
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    The master bathroom is on the other side of the door.