Houzz Logo Print
secondhalf_gw

Is it normal to pay in full for cabinets at the time of ordering?

secondhalf
11年前

Hi- can someone give me a reality check? We are ordering from a Brookhaven dealer (like this woman very much and her business seems reputable) and being told that payment is due in full at the time of the order. I'm nervous about paying for something in full with no recourse if there is an error or a problem at their plant. It seems to me as though this should be a situation where we put a deposit down of half, with the other half due on safe delivery. Am I off base?

コメント (42)

• gr8daygw
    11年前

if you do have to and this is normal for this company make sure you put it on your American Express (if possible) that will be your leverage later. Has made a world of difference to me getting things settled when all else failed. Good luck!

• badgergal
    11年前

My cabinet maker required 40% down and the rest was due when installed. (they were delivered and installed the same day).

• carybk
    11年前

Ours were half down when ordered, 25% when complete before installation, 25% after installation. I would not agree to 100% down at the front end. You can get cabinets lots of places.

• francoise47
    11年前

Our were 50% down with the order and 50% at delivery.

• peonybush
    11年前

I'm going to be in the minority on this one....nothing down and waited to be billed after installation. When I asked about a deposit they were like.."oh no, that's ok. We'll just bill you later". Seriously.
    Midwest mentality I think.

• Emilner
    11年前

I would never pay in full ahead of time.

• Emilner
    11年前

I would never pay in full ahead of time.

• cakelly1226
    11年前

We paid in full to get a special discount but had no issues. One cabinet arrived broken and was replaced as soon as it could be made to specs.

• allnewappliances
    11年前

We also bought Brookhaven kitchen cabinets (in NJ) about 1 1/2 years ago (has it been that long) and had to pay in full. We were very very reluctant to do that, but the place insisted that it was always done that way with them (and we could unfort only put down 5K on A/E for points). But they came highly recommended from a few people so we took a leap of faith and paid in full before they would order all of the cabinets.
    A few cabinets came in the wrong size and I changed my mind at the last minute about a few other fronts and sizes and they immediately fixed all the problems and even let me keep the incorrect ones without charging me for my decision changes. Our GC was able to use one of the cabinets in the bathroom as a vanity (which ended up saving me about 1K in buying a new custom one). We will also use the other 4 cabinets in our basement.

• pharaoh
    11年前

There are three stages:
    1. Advance
    2. Delivery
    3. Installation

You can split it equally 1/3rd each
    or
    50-25-25

The reason for waiting until after installation is that construction issues will show up then. Dont pay until they have been inspected and signed off or they are installed.

However, certain suppliers require payment in full. I would google their reputation and/or have the GC take on the liability for upfront payment.

• angie_diy
    11年前

Mine were: 1/3 upon order, 1/3 upon start of construction, and 1/3 upon delivery.

• suzanne_sl
    11年前

We went with HD. Paid in full upfront.

We did have an issue with one drawer face and InnerMost said, "Well, huh. That's weird. The new one's on the way." They sent us an entirely new drawer. We also had a broken toe kick under a 54" tall cabinet, which turns out to be not uncommon. (Taller than 54" or so they generally ship the toe kick separately for this reason and because it's really hard to get a cabinet upright inside the house that pretty much goes floor to ceiling.) The rep, who was here about the drawer face, was willing to replace the whole thing if we wanted, but that would have been silly - the damage was limited to just the toe kick. We repaired it ourselves with scrap wood and a bit of angle iron. Our repair took care of any function problem and I expect no one will see that toe kick again until these cabinets are replaced some day.

• aprilmack
    11年前

I originally ordered cabinets from a bog box store and paid in full for the cabinets. To make a long story short I ended up canceling that order and I found the most fabulous cabinet maker.

When I ordered the cabinets they wanted a down payment but didn't have a specific amount they wanted. When I asked what would be appropriate they asked for a little less than 30% of the total.

I wouldn't pay upfront unless you are completely sure about everything. As I've found, nothing is completely sure once the walls have been opened up.

• breezygirl
    11年前

Paying completely upfront would make me very nervous. Too many things can and do go wrong. I paid 50 percent upon order and the remainder when the cabs were installed to my satisfaction.

• hobokenkitchen
    11年前

We are paying in three chunks.
    Two are paid and I guess the balance is due soon as cabinets are being installed tomorrow.

• thrilledtobuild
    11年前

We paid in full when we ordered our custom cabinets. I didn't like it, but I loved the cabinets and It all worked out for us.

• naughtykitty
    11年前

I just ordered Brookhaven cabinets a few weeks ago. I paid %40-%50 at the time of order and I will have to pay the rest 10 days prior to installation. HTH

• slonewby
    11年前

yikes! I would never pay in full in advance! You have no recourse if there is damage or shoddy workmanship

• secondhalf
    質問の投稿者
    11年前

Thank you so much everyone....it's so helpful to get so many perspectives and I now know I'm not being unreasonable. I will follow upand let you know what happens.

• kompy
    11年前

Home Depot and Lowes require 100% payment in full at time of ordering. Not that I agree with these terms....but so many people put their faith in to the box stores. I just don't get it!

• Cateskitchen
    11年前

It is our policy to take a 50% deposit upfront and require payment in full prior to delivery. Not sure I would expect someone to pay in-full up front, especially since I do not have to pay for the cabinets up front. It may have to do with how they buy? I don't sell Brookhaven so I am unsure of their policies...

• hdg1027
    11年前

For product only, Yes, payment in full is normal. Any big box store would require it and most independent dealers also. An independent dealer may be willing to negotiate to some degree.
    Cateskitchen, although you do not pay for your cabinets upfront I'm pretty sure its because of a line of credit you have with your manufacturer. I'm sure you're still responsible for payment in full. Only requiring payment of 50% for material would not cover your liability if heaven forbid something would happen to your client or the property that the material is ordered for. (Although maybe you have insurance to cover your loses if the job doesn't materialize after placing order).
    For those claiming they only put 50% down on an installed remodel job. That 50% probably covered all material costs.

• jakuvall
    11年前

Since the downturn a lot of local dealers have gone to full payment up front for product.Installation contracts are diiferent. I know of one dealer who was burned badly on a job.
    I typically require 60% but have also gotten a 10 % retainer so the risk is smaller, still there. A failed project that was ordered would hurt badly but not quote kill me. I do worry about it sometimes. If it were to happen once I would be forced to change to 100%

I go over this all up front early, before accepting a retainer, as it is not negotiable. If it doesn't suit the client they are welcome to go elsewhere with little loss of time and no loss of money.

• raljan
    11年前

If my cabinetmaker wanted 100% up-front, I would have walked away. My deal was 50% down and 50% after installation, which I thought was reasonable.

• harry_wild
    11年前

Your dealer seems to be in need of cash possibly to payoff other obligations or employeees. I would not do a pay in full before the install. Maybe 25% if that! 10% is reasonable however. 100% is asking for trouble!

• hdg1027
    11年前

raljan and harry wild, again, if your paying 50% down on an installed job, you are in effect paying 100% of cost of product.
    The original post did'nt say anything about installation.
    I get the impression, although i could be wrong, that the request is for payment of cabinetry only.
    Paying 100% for product that is going to be constructed specifically for you, in design, wood species, stain, finish, moldings, drawer guides and hinges is not unreasonable.
    At the showroom I work for, If we are also going to be the G.C. 50% down to order product and another 25% down when construction begins. If you are just ordering product and you are using another G.C. that does not have a line of credit with us or you're a client that is going to be their own G.C. or a do-it yourself client 100% payment is standard.
    Have there been exceptions, sure, maybe a handful out of the hundreds of kithens and baths we've sold. Out of those its 80-90% down and the remainder due when we receive shipment at our showroom from the cabinet manufacturer.(we have had clients that have gone the route of being their G.C. that have underestimated by weeks and even months when they would ready to recieve delivery of their cabinets).
    That said, It's also are policy to explain up front what are payment policy is so we don't waist our time with someone like harry wild.
    However, I would like to ask harry, if he did find a dealer to work with his terms of 10-25%down. Shipment of cabinetry has been made to the dealer along with the bill that the manufacturer expects paid. And lets say, that during that 2-6 week lead time a big hail storm comes through Harrys neighborhood and his house sustains heavy damage to his roof, siding, windows, gutters and then finds out he was woefully under insured and the repairs were going to cost him thousands of out of pockets expenses (the same thousands or more he was going spend on his cabinetry). Or say, the house just burns down. Or floods. What if an unexpected major medical expense happens. What if, God forbid Harry dies.
    The Dealer is standing there with a bill from the cabinet manufaturer that is due now. He's on the hook for thousands of dollars. Harry, when can he expect payment from you?

• whallyden
    11年前

Our cab dealer offered a discount for full payment.

• kellienoelle
    11年前

We ordered our Kraftmaid cabinets from Lowes and paid 100% at time of order. We had absolutely no problems. There was a door front that I didn't like the grain of (not damaged, just ugly), I contacted the KD and a replacement was sent out without question. A week or so later, we noticed that we had received an incorrect number of pulls, same thing. When installing the pulls, our contractor drilled the holes unevenly, again, replacement sent right out. We were very pleased with their responsiveness, so it worked out for us.

• likewhatyoudo
    11年前

We bought medallion cabinets from Menards, paid in full at time of order. We had a issue with the custom range hood and they sent a replacement asap. We did pay with a credit card. If you trust the place I would say order and get it going, if you don't feel comfortable with the place you are working with then go somewhere else.

• woodenconcepts
    11年前

If you are purchasing pre-fabricated cabinets from a dealer that will in turn purchase the cabinets from the manufacturer, 100% of purchase price is pretty standard. I believe that Brookhaven would fall under that category. Any reputable custom cabinet builder should not require full payment up front. 50% down, 25% upon completion and 25% upon installation is a reasonable arrangement. The big box stores are good as far as getting a good price - IF you have a KD that actually knows what they are doing. Installation through big box stores is risky. Not only will will pay approximately 25% more than you would pay a skilled cabinet installer, you are also at the mercy of the "rotation" - meaning you get whatever installer is up next to be assigned an install. While there ARE competent installers working for some of the big box stores, I can say from experience that if you get one of them you should consider yourself to be lucky. Your installer can make or break the whole experience. Also, if they make a mistake it will void your warranty. That is why the big cabinet manufacturers don't provide installers. Ever.

• Cateskitchen
    11年前

HDG: You are correct. We do have a line of credit and in the event that some one backs out after the cabinets have been ordered we would still be responsible for full payment to our supplier and the 50% deposit would definitely leave us owing a substantial amount. You have made some very good points, I have never looked at it that way, I always just figure no one who plunks down 5-10K for a deposit is going to back out...

• PRO
    Cabinets To The Trade
    7年前

I own a custom cabinet business and sell only to TRADE member, I require

50% to order and balance before it ships. I also have in my contract that I will oversee the installation and make sure that any problems with cabinets is taken care of, if it is my mistake, I pay for it, if it is the clients mistake they pay for it. I oversee the measure, go over every detail with the client and contractor when ready to order. Kitchen planning and making sure that all the parts fit together is worth every step when it all comes together and is wonderful. Take time to plan and paying for custom with any item is not unusual for full amount before it comes into your home

• PRO
    Hankins & Associates, Inc. - Kitchens and Baths
    6年前

I am both a Kitchen Dealer and Cabinet Shop. There are no circumstances where I'd alter (based on 'cabinetry only') the 50/50 payment requirement. 100% up front? While I know this is the Home Centers M.O., I don't and I wouldn't. However, even with a 50% deposit ... IF the homeowner decided NOT to take delivery and/or failed to pay the balance ... the deposit amount received wouldn't cover the cost of cabinetry (be it from a Mfg), or the Labor and Materials to custom build here. I'd be financially in the hole. Even on an installed project, when the cabinetry is delivered, Full Payment FOR the Cabinetry is 100% due (no exceptions). Another consideration and something I learned from history. If we deliver cabinetry TO your home and we don't collect payment [say] until the installation is complete and something happens to the cabinetry, we are in tough shape. The (unpaid-for) cabinetry once there, is under total control of homeowner. Once fastened to the homes wall, (I've been instructed) now becomes part (a 'fixture') of the property. If it's not been paid for, it'll make for a tougher collection on my part. Another a-ha ... during a remodel some years ago (while with a different organization). The upstairs master bath was being remodeled by the homeowners contractor (unrelated to us whatsoever). We delivered the kitchen cabinetry and began the installation (though not intentional) without receiving full payment on the cabinetry. That evening a pipe upstairs broke, leaking water on their new (partially paid for) cabinetry. While no fault of ours and no fault of the homeowner, the homeowner was less inclined to pay the balance (due the day before) on their new (now damaged) cabinetry--which required 100% replacement of a few cabinets. It was a conundrum and we were at the mercy of someone else's insurance company which took time to sort out. So yes, deposit upon ordering, balance on delivery.

• lisadlu16
    6年前

We got Brookhaven last year and it was 50% at time of order and balance due before delivery.

• Katia Paulino
    2年前

So what happens if I buy cabinets from a dealer . I paid on full already but the manufacturer still pending delivery of a few pcs from my order? That is my current situation right now. I HAD already demo and installed base cabinets but im missing some wall pcs. Who is liable for this? I been without a kitchen for a month buying food for my whole family every day....

• PRO
    User
    2年前
    最終更新:2年前

Everyone is in the same boat. Your job and it’s delays are not at all unusual during the pandemic delays. It is what it is. Delays and short shipping are a normal part of remodeling.

• PRO
    Hankins & Associates, Inc. - Kitchens and Baths
    2年前

Katia, First...sorry you paid 100% in advance, that doesn't help your leverage. The dealer is who is responsible to you. Have they given you any update as to delivery dates? If the dealer isn't offering adequate communication, then call the mfg. and tell them you need answers, that the dealer isn't updating you. Keep pushing. Good luck.

• Katia Paulino
    2年前

the manufacturer keep changing the date. Every week is it will be next week.. and we are talking about a 3months order

• harry_wild
    2年前

Katie, you be fine if it from a big box store. If it is a small dependent contractor, I be concerned. If the manufacturer is in the U.S. and is a known manufacturer, you should be fine to if the manufacturer email you directly. Otherwise, it is concerning that you did 100% payment. Did you charge it to a major card company?

• PRO
  • PRO
    Cabinets To The Trade
    2年前

Every dealer does business differently. I always get 50 % deposit and balance before it ships.

The reason that is done is because once the cabinets are in your home it is hard to collect on the balance. Not because of problems with the cabinets but because a mechanical lean would be placed on the property to collect the balance if not paid. Cabinet manufactures and dealers were burned in 2008 with the housing crash. It is standard to have items paid for before they go into the property. If they are not paid for something is worked out with the builder or remodeler for payment. Cabinet dealers are credible with making sure the order is correct and installed the way it should be. Factories need to be paid and many dealers need to be paid up front to stay in business. I am sure you are fine with your order.

PR