Houzz Logo Print
amitandanj

Help with Kitchen Backsplash - Taj Mahal Quartz

amitandanj
9年前
Hi! We recently renovated our kitchen and installed Taj Mahal Quartz (loved the quartzite but decided to go with a safer maintenance option) with SW Dove White semi gloss finish cabinets & chrome hardware. We are looking for some backsplash options besides white subway tile. We don't want it to be too busy as pendant lights, furniture and décor pieces will add some vibrant color to the actual kitchen. Thanks in advance!

コメント (48)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前
    Classic White Kitchen · 詳細

Your floor is beautiful. It needs to be part of the show. I would find a back splash tile in the same tone as the counters. Let the floor and your accent pieces be the more important accents.
  • amitandanj
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. Neither of us really like black because it would make the space dark. We were looking at Calcutta gold, some crackled glaze tiles but couldn't seem to find a good color that would match, white subway. Our favorite so far is thassos mosaic with mother of pearl but it is very expensive - Transitional Kitchen by Bloomfield Design-Build Firms Showcase Kitchen & Bath
  • amitandanj
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Transitional Kitchen · 詳細
  • amitandanj
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I think we have the picture you shared in our idea book. Hubby really likes that 3X6 backsplash..i wasn't sure if it was going to clash with my countertop. Will have to revisit again.

Thanks - we really love our floor too! :)

Here is the before picture of the old kitchen
  • hair2660
    9年前
    Mother of pearl is beautiful!!!! It would blend. But do you like contrast? If so. Mix. With another stone as well With mother of pearl to cut the price.
    amitandanjさんはhair2660さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9年前
    No, I said back splash, not black. : > )
  • hair2660
    9年前
    I know
  • amitandanj
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    whoops..blame it on mom brain :) A tile place suggested glassos with mother of pearl to cut the cost of the thassos marble. We were not sure of that. Have you seen this done before?
  • Irene Morresey
    9年前
    Lovely, even with accents and furniture, it does need a bit of oomph, glass tiles like in pics, under cabinet lighting looks lovely with glass tiles
  • cyn029
    9年前
    Yout floors are beatiful! What type and brand of floors?
    amitandanjさんはcyn029さんにお礼を言いました
  • myperfectadvice
    9年前
    Red glass?
    I think you need a coloured one....
    And red seems to be in right now,!
    amitandanjさんはmyperfectadviceさんにお礼を言いました
  • Thomas O
    9年前
    What about a glass mosaic tile that incorporates brown (from floor), white (from cabinets) and another color like blue or red or something to give a little color to the room? picture...
    amitandanjさんはThomas Oさんにお礼を言いました
  • Maureen
    9年前
    It's such a classic kitchen, I would head towards Carrara marble but done in a lovely pattern vs subway. Maybe a fan shaped or herringbone. Some carrara has a bit of brown which would tie in really nicely with your floor.
    [houzz=
    Fish Scale Carrara White Marble Grand Fan Mosaic Tile Polished, 1 sheet · 詳細
    houzz=
    Calacatta Gold Calcutta Marble 1x3 Herringbone Mosaic Tile Honed, 1 sheet · 詳細
    ]
    amitandanjさんはMaureenさんにお礼を言いました
  • christy18
    9年前
    I like the idea of a colored backsplash, there are so many different glass tiles out there that have awesome colors!!
    amitandanjさんはchristy18さんにお礼を言いました
  • amitandanj
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thanks everyone for your input..really appreciate it!

@cyn029 - the flooring is Karndeean Winter Oak

@Maureen - yes, we really want to keep the classic white and are leaning towards marble. I am afraid of the discoloration that will begin to happen for the marble tiles placed behind the sink and behind the stove.
  • Maureen
    9年前
    I have no experience with marble, but a thought could be to add stainless steel just behind the stove, as per the transitional kitchen picture above. You may want to ask people who have marble behind the sink if they have run into any issues. Enjoy your kitchen!
  • sunnydrew
    9年前
    Why don't you bring home your top 3 contenders from your tile store and show us some possibilities.
    Your kitchen is beautiful and I think you could do a multitude of things with the backsplash.
  • Lee Weber
    9年前
    You already have visual movement in your counter top which should be a star of your design with the floor. Stick with simple whit subway tile. It will cost less, look great, and be impervious to wear and tear.
  • cutebabiesmom
    9年前
    I love your kitchen already. Big, bright and beautiful. Good luck.
  • hawksandowls
    9年前
    You are working with a beautiful space. I would suggest a sand-colored tile without a glossy finish so that it will blend with the cabinets/countertop. The satin finish reflects light differently than anything else in the space and will visually enlarge the room. You could use some accent tiles if you want some pizzaz. Also, a stained concrete backsplash would be beautiful and have a similar look.
  • PRO
    AFS Mosaics
    9年前
    please consider the custom mosaic backsplash work I create. http:/www.mosaicsbyariel.com.
  • whocareswhoiam
    8年前

what did you finally decide?

• amitandanj
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Hi everyone! We decided on a classic white kitchen with white subway tile! Here is the kitchen with the backsplash, under cabinet lights and installed hood. At some point we went to put in a light in the middle of the island and figure out color scheme to make it pop, but we are very happy with the simple choice! Thanks for all your input and suggestions.
  • bunnyllg
    8年前
    I too have Taj Mahal. I went with Horus "Crema" subway tile in this interesting pattern pictured. This tile is machine made, but has the look of hand thrown tile. I think it is simple.
  • amitandanj
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Here is the kitchen!
  • amitandanj
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    @bunny your quartzite is beautiful!!!! We went with the quartz replica but would have loved to have the quartzite if I wasn't so worried about the maintenance.
  • amitandanj
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Here is a better shot of the actual tile/lighting.
  • zazfuzzroc
    8年前

I like it, you did good. :) Very clean looking and any color will look nice in there! ;)

• Kandis Mendonsa
    8年前
    Your kitchen looks beautiful, I agree subway tile is everywhere, I would go more traditional, stay away from glass especially, too trendy, you may want to look at the brick veneers, they carry tones that would work well with your counter tops, your backsplash is permanent, gotta love it, you can add color and style with your accessories, good luck, you have made excellent choices so far, I'm sure you will continue, post your final picture.
  • rblupkin
    8年前

I have a small kitchen too. it's best to stay neutral and matching with subway tile. I have a 14 ft wall with 5 sockets/switches. (you have a lot of sockets, too.) Subway is the only choice. Add color with paint or accessories that are easy to change.

• Michele Nostramo Iglio
    7年前

@bunny Your kitchen is beautiful. I am doing a white kitchen with the same quartzite counter. Trying to select backsplash. Are your cabinets white or cream?

• bunnyllg
    7年前
    Cream with a coffee glaze.
  • sunnydrew
    7年前
    It looks very nice.
  • ritakwon
    7年前

Where did you find the Taj Mahal quartz? I can only find the new Taj Royale Caesar stone - which is similar , but not exactly what I am looking for.

• amitandanj
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    @ritakwon We used Pental Taj Mahal. Their website is pentalquartz.com. I would see the material in person as the website pictures don't do it justice. We've had guests who mistake it for marble. Looking back we're glad we went with it because quartzite (the natural stuff) would've stained very quick in our high use kitchen.
  • bunnyllg
    7年前
    We purchased it at Dente Stone in Caldwell NJ.
  • sunnydrew
    7年前
    Would you be kind enough to "shed some light" on the type of under cabinet lighting you used and how you like it? Maybe with a picture . That is on my list of projects.
    Thanks.
  • amitandanj
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    @sunnydrew - we used 1/2 inch LED under cabinet lights that are linkable. We used a total of 5.
  • cand1781
    7年前

Amitandanj-. How long have you had your pentalquartz? How has it held up over time? We love the Akoya and also need a sample of the Taj Mahal. Love the look but not sure about longevity/staining/ yellowing over time.

amitandanjさんはcand1781さんにお礼を言いました
  • amitandanj
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

@cand1781 - We've had it over a year and a half. Its held up very well. Everything wipes off easily. The exceptions are turmeric, red wine, and marinara...if those are left on too long it requires some extra rubbing to get the stain completely out, but it does get out. We have hardwater so there is some water spots near the sink which can be seen if you look at them at a certain angle. All in all a good product so far.

• PRO
    CMM Custom Homes
    7年前

What beautiful options you have here! Before you rule out the white subway tile, please consider the option below. These home owners used art found on their travels to personalize the wst. Good luck and have fun!

• Brady
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

I just realized this post is from like years ago. My bad! Well, to anyone who searches and ends up here, I will leave the following:

I have Taj Mahal quarzite (or something similar) and White Dove cabinets. Not sure if your quartz is a similar color to this, but I ended up doing medium gray glass tiles for contrast. If you like them I can dig up the manufacturer/color and whatnot.

ETA: The walls are Revere Pewter and the floors are dusty because this was during construction :)

• cand1781
    7年前

What color paint did you use in your kitchen? Or at least family....is that more of a beige or yellow/cream?

• amitandanj
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    @cand1781 - The paint on the walls is Swiss Coffee. In natural light it looks beige, when the recessed lights are on it has a yellowish / creamy tone. Post a pic of your kitchen once you're done, would love to see it!
  • MARIE FRANCO
    7年前
    Gorgeous! Swiss Coffee on the walls -- is it Ben Moore? It's so confusing that the different paint brands have colors of the same name.
  • amitandanj
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    @MARIE FRANCO - Sorry, we just saw your post right now. It was painted before we moved in but we saw Benjamin Moore paint cans in the garage so that's probably it.
  • gmamichele
    4年前

It looks really nice. We also have Taj Mahal for our island and countertops. Can you tell me where you purchased your backsplash.