Houzz Logo Print
afuller9583

Need help updating the kitchen in the house i just purchased

I have just purchased my first home and having some trouble gathering ideas what to do with the kitchen. I plan on expanding in the future so I wish to keep the current kitchen cabinets for now i will just have to work around them. The counter top is a MUST GO, it does not match at all. Also I would like to update the back splash. I am up for many ideas and i appreciate some help. Thanks!

コメント (5)

• jersey595
    9年前
    Maybe you could get a basic one or two color counter top with colorful walls and either a simple or matching backsplash. Or you could go with simple walls and a colorful counter top and a pretty backsplash. Either way I would say to add some color someplace cause it's kinda bland.
  • jhmarie
    9年前
    Will your expansion plans involve a total remodel of the kitchen? How far into the future? Are you looking for some budget solutions to tide you over. Do you like modern, cottage, traditional other?
  • afuller9583
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    yes the expansion will be a total remodel and i plan on making the kitchen bigger. but it will be around 5-7 years in the future. I'm not sure what my exact budget will be but i wanted to make necessary changes for the time needed without spending ridiculous about of money. My style is more traditional as well.
  • PRO
    Craft Art Elegant Surfaces
    9年前
    This layout is similar to yours and the before and after may inspire you! They chose our DIY wood countertops and went with our waterproof oil finish. ( http://store.craft-art.com for more info).

Be sure to think about just how much work you want to do. For example, do you want to paint the cabinets? change the hardware? Put a new facade on that column? Our designers recommend finding lots of pictures of kitchens you like and seeing what the top items you like about that kitchen are. Then you can see how you can make your space have that same feeling once you know how much work (or money!) you would like to put into it.

Best of luck. Be sure to share an after photo with us!

(photo featuring our Black Walnut edge grain DIY wood countertops courtesy of the great DIYer's (Chris and Julia) of ChrisLovesJulia.com)
  • jhmarie
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前
    Here are some possible budget ideas. A new laminate countertop. Paint cabinets white or cream or light blue or green. Use beadboard for backslash. Also, you could remove the upper cabinets, apply beadboard, or beadboard wallpaper and open shelving. Change out the hardware. You can remove panels in upper doors and replace with glass.

You can keep the cabinets wood if you prefer, however it is harder to come up with a backsplash that is inexpensive that would go with the wood and removing the tile presently there is probably going to leave you with a damaged wall which the beadboard would cover. Tin tiles might work.

Here are some examples from This Old House Website if you want to consider colorful painted cabinets: