Houzz Logo Print
klrademacher

Need help with kitchen floor!

klrademacher
9年前
最終更新:9年前
Hi. We are moving into a 73 year old cape cod home that has 4-6" random width pegged, white oak hardwood floors. We are having these floors refinished. The adjoining kitchen currently has old laminate flooring. The kitchen is pretty small with a 6X8 breakfast nook and 12x8 galley type area where the cabinets are located. We want to put new solid white oak in the kitchen, but aren't sure if we should try to match the random width pegged floor that is throughout the rest of the first level, just do 4" planks, do 4" installed at 45 degrees, match the stain, do a totally different stain in the kitchen, etc. Just have no idea what would look the best! Looking for help. Thank you!!! Oh, and just to add, we will be painting the kitchen cabinets white, putting in new quartz counter and stainless appliances.

コメント (27)

• PRO
    Canterbury Custom Homes LLC
    9年前
    I agree.

However, if they cant be matched go with a tile.
    klrademacherさんはCanterbury Custom Homes LLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • klrademacher
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thanks, the first flooring company suggested matching exactly, or doing just 4" planks. The second suggested installing new hardwood diagonally, which I couldn't quite picture in my mind how that would look. I want to stick with hardwood instead of tile, just to make the kitchen feel more cozy and warm, especially when I'm going to have white cabinets, stone counter, and tile backsplash. Thanks for your comments!
  • PRO
    The Men With Tools
    9年前
    Green Depot is correct. Matching the floor will help open up the small kitchen space and is a popular choice lately. One other thing you should consider is the height of the existing kitchen floor. Is it the same height or higher than the adjoining hardwood? Ripping out existing floors to match the height of the adjoining floor can be expensive and labor intensive. Good luck!
    klrademacherさんはThe Men With Toolsさんにお礼を言いました
  • klrademacher
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thanks onedaywoodfloors for you comment! The kitchen floor is higher than the adjoining wood floors. We intend to rip out the existing 2-3 layers of linoleum to make the floors closer to the same height. Maybe there's existing wood flooring under those layers? Not sure what 70 year old homes originally had in its kitchens. Any tips for ripping up existing linoleum? Thanks!
  • PRO
    The Men With Tools
    9年前
    Believe it or not, it is common to have a pine wood subfloor in homes 70+ years old, I wouldn't recommend using them as a finished floor though.

Unfortunately there aren't any easy tricks for ripping up multiple layers of flooring. It's going to be hard work and a slow process. Just be careful with the layers of linoleum, they contain asbestos.
  • lefty47
    9年前
    HI -- It is hard to match wood stains sooo - do a wood border around the room about a foot deep, then have the wood in the center (can be diagonal ) that maybe comes close to the other flooring or go lighter or darker . With doing a border it doesn't have to match and it looks like that kitchen floor was done that way for it's own. .
    klrademacherさんはlefty47さんにお礼を言いました
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9年前
    Please post pictures when you are finished
  • sabra900
    9年前
    Match the floors now you will not regret it later. We didn't in our 115 yo house and our neighbors did in their old house a few doors down....we're still kicking ourselves.
    klrademacherさんはsabra900さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9年前
    I was going to suggest a border as well, but still with matching the flooring random width and all..... maybe about 8" border where the two floors meet, maybe just by the threshold, then the rest diagonal in the kitchen. Buy RAW unfinished oak as close to the original as possible, then when you re-finish the other flooring, make everything one color..whether it be a stain or left natural in color. I just refinished my floors and had to replace some spots that were bad...just don't do the same mistake my hubby did which was buy red oak instead of white! :)
    klrademacherさんはShakuffさんにお礼を言いました
  • klrademacher
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thanks everyone for your comments. We plan on refinishing the adjoining floors at the same time as installing the new kitchen floor so I think we will have it all stained the same color. I think we will go with trying to match the kitchen as best we can to the other rooms, meaning 4-6" random width in the same direction as the adjoining rooms. The floor guy we contacted said he should be able to match it, so that's good! The only thing now is trying to get to kitchen floor to be the same height as the adjoining floors - I'd love for it to look seamless, but I don't know if that's possible. Could the contractor feather to two floors together, assuming we could get them to be the exact same height?
  • PRO
    The Men With Tools
    9年前
    Feathering is not an option. Your flooring guy will need to rip up the existing layers to get the proper height if you want a seamless look.

Another thing you should discuss with your flooring contractor is making sure he sources the correct species of wood and grade to match your new kitchen floor to the existing area. Without having a close match in materials it will make it difficult to achieve a perfect uniform look with finishing/staining alone. Good luck.
  • klrademacher
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Great, thanks for the advice. The contractor knew right away it was white oak floor, but he didn't mention anything about the grade. I will discuss with him.
  • PRO
    The Men With Tools
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前
    Here is an example of a project that we installed and finished to match an existing area. This customer wanted his stairs to match the prefinished flooring he already had in place. We identified that the existing floors were a #1 common red oak and sourced the same grade and species stair treads. After installation we custom mixed stain colors and applied samples until we achieved that exact match. Take a look.
  • klrademacher
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Oh wow!!! That looks beautiful! And a perfect match too! Nice job. I hope we can achieve something similar with ours!
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9年前
    I think it'll help a lot that you're refinishing the other flooring so you'll be able to stain all to match. They should look pretty similar in the end. :) Enjoy!
    klrademacherさんはShakuffさんにお礼を言いました
  • klrademacher
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Ok, so we started ripping up the old floor and there are two layers of vinyl/linoleum floor, then a layer of particle board on top of what appears to be two layers of wood floor. The first layer of wood floor is level with the adjoining wood floors, then another wood subfloor going in a different direction. I'm wondering if we could just refinish this floor? There is glue remnants from the particle board and also tiny little nail holes from where the board was additionally nailed. I will post a pic later today. Thoughts?
  • PRO
    The Men With Tools
    9年前
    You'd be surprised what we can accomplish when refinishing a floor. Post a couple of pictures and I'll give you my opinion.
  • klrademacher
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

So I totally forget to post after pics. Here you go! We ended up trying to match the kitchen floors with the rest of the house. Random width, pegged white oak hardwood. Our floor guy did the best he could, the biggest difference is that the grooves in the older flooring is black (from dirt, dust, etc.). The new floors will get that way with time I'm sure. We didn't do a stain, just satin poly.

• klrademacher
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Ok, so the photo posting feature isn't working grrrrrrrrr!

• klrademacher
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

FINALLY - Here are some "after" pics of the new hardwood floor and kitchen. See post from 10/15 for some details on what we decided to go with. We completely redid the kitchen. I can post more pics of that if anyone is interested. Thanks!

• klrademacher
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

• stephmal
    8年前
    Looks fantastic! Did you paint the existing cabinets or get new?
    klrademacherさんはstephmalさんにお礼を言いました
  • klrademacher
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Stephmal, we had the existing cabinets painted because they were solid maple and in really good shape, plus it was MUCH easier on the budget! It cost about $2k to have the cabinets painted. Here's a before and after showing the difference with the paint and then a before pic from when we bought the house before any renovations started.

• stephmal
    8年前
    Very nice! Love the transformation. I had my maple cabinets painted too!
    klrademacherさんはstephmalさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8年前

You find the neatest things lurking underneath 2 layers of vinyl! Oh, Look. Hardwood! Yah! Very nice. Your installer did a great job.

klrademacherさんはCancork Floor Inc.さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Green Depot
    8年前

Congrats! Turned out lovely.

klrademacherさんはGreen Depotさんにお礼を言いました