Houzz Logo Print
lisa_stofkogaglianese

How can I divide this island to conceal the sink?

It looks nice in the model, but the reality is that a sink will be surrounded by a drain rack, dish soap, a paper towel stand, sponges etc. I would like some sort of divider so as to hide all the sink stuff while maintaining a pleasing open aspect of the island. The material is corian.

コメント (21)

• PRO
    Gravitas
    9年前
    I'd raise the height of the bar seating area to 42" or so with a 12-18" section of counter. It looks like there is plenty of depth.
    Lisa Stofko GaglianeseさんはGravitasさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Washington Marble Works
    9年前
    As another option, you might consider added a soap dispenser that is mounted under the counter so that all you see is the pump. There are also a lot of accessories for sinks, like raised grids, that work perfectly for a dish drying rack!
    Lisa Stofko GaglianeseさんはWashington Marble Worksさんにお礼を言いました
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9年前
    Keep counter uncluttered and items under sink in cabinet, not on top. No ones does that, when sink in island.
    Lisa Stofko GaglianeseさんはNancy Travisinteriorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • Ann
    9年前
    I have the same set up and I keep a nice pottery dish soap container and a standing paper towel holder on the counter. Everything else is put away and it looks great. I wouldn't do a divider of any type.
    Lisa Stofko GaglianeseさんはAnnさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Funktional Space Interior Decorating
    9年前
    I like the suggestions of the others but if that's not the way you roll, a long skinny fruit bowl or three medium sized vases with flowers or leaves, would help camouflage some of the mess.
    Lisa Stofko GaglianeseさんはFunktional Space Interior Decoratingさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Haylett Homes
    9年前
    I would put a raised bar in front of the sink. 42 inch height works well, I would also bring the kitchen cabinetry around the in the the form of panels to match the doors and tie the whole thing together, budget allowing. Go to Haylett Homes to see picture under under Settlers Ridge Custom Home
  • PRO
    Funktional Space Interior Decorating
    9年前
    I would go with the soap dispenser mounter in to the island and I would hook it up with a dishwasher line in to a Costco size jar of soap!! Flowers something like this would work..
    Lisa Stofko GaglianeseさんはFunktional Space Interior Decoratingさんにお礼を言いました
  • housegal200
    9年前
    Yeah, these builders--they must not do dishes ever. Some of these things are just for flash and not thought out.

Are there cabinets on the kitchen facing side of the island? If so get a rollout Rev-a-Shelf and line it with one of those absorbent dish mats and put a small dish rack on it. Bed, Bath, and Beyond carries them. You could drop another small rack into your large sink. Install a paper towel holder elsewhere.
    Lisa Stofko Gaglianeseさんはhousegal200さんにお礼を言いました
  • leelee
    9年前
    Make a special effort to keep your beautiful new kitchen uncluttered. Put dirty dishes in the DW right away and hand wash and dry other items and get them put up. No need to keep a dish rack on the counter.
    Lisa Stofko Gaglianeseさんはleeleeさんにお礼を言いました
  • Maureen
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前
    Not sure if you would consider putting in a double sided sink. My kitchen is seen from the front door and when you add items into a rack in the second side they can't be seen. I also keep my scrubbing items there. Use a nice dispenser for your detergent vs the bottle and put paper towels on another counter in a corner. We place dishes into the dishwasher right away and it's forced us to keep a pretty neat kitchen, you fall into slowly and becomes a habit for everyone in the house. I would try those things before adding a divider.
    Lisa Stofko GaglianeseさんはMaureenさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前
    Lisa Stofko GaglianeseさんはACT ONE DESIGNSさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Boyce Lumber & Design Center
    9年前
    Absolutely agree about the raised bar area, you can opt for the same color of Corian or one that works with it to accent. You could even put something fun like crackle glass on the raised bar, wood, really just about anything! What it ultimately comes down to is how much you want to spend to hide that sink area - but a raised bar is a great option. Also, I LOVE those in-sink racks! Good luck!
    Lisa Stofko GaglianeseさんはBoyce Lumber & Design Centerさんにお礼を言いました
  • njmomma
    9年前
    Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · 詳細

Mediterranean Haven · 詳細
  • sznns
    9年前
    Keep in mind that if you put in a raised bar you will be loosing a lot of functional counter space. If you don't bake or cook a lot, that my not be an issue and be a fantastic option. I just knocked out my raised primarily for the counter space. Yes, it hid the mess but a deeper and larger sink can help with that if you can't get to the dishes right away. As for the soap, have it installed underneath or get an attractive dispenser. They make holders for sponges that go inside the sink as well. And, a drying mat can easily come out for when you wash dishes by hand.
    Lisa Stofko Gaglianeseさんはsznnsさんにお礼を言いました
  • Lisa Stofko Gaglianese
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thank you everyone for your helpful comments and suggestions. Much appreciated!
  • marilynellis
    9年前
    It's a shame to clutter up that beautiful space. Suggest you not do that and store supplies under the sink
    Lisa Stofko Gaglianeseさんはmarilynellisさんにお礼を言いました
  • lucidos
    9年前
    I suggest you put in a bar sink on the island and the standard sink on the counter between the fridge and the pantry. Best of both worlds for you then.
    Lisa Stofko Gaglianeseさんはlucidosさんにお礼を言いました
  • flopsycat1
    9年前
    Seems like a lot of folks opt for the sink-in-the-island concept. Just search for it on houzz, there are endless examples. I guess they just learn to keep unsightlies under the counter. It's another one of those trends that looks good on paper, but may not be so practical in reality.
    Lisa Stofko Gaglianeseさんはflopsycat1さんにお礼を言いました
  • mandy7wilson
    7年前

Hello Everyone,

The raised bar is an excellent idea. Clutter is not my issue but water is because I have teenagers that don't always pay attention. I wanted a decorative divider that would stop the water from getting under the mats.

Mandy

• Tanya
    7年前

I think you need a two level island. The sink a bit lower with the top level of the island camaflouging the lower. Also, I would use the dishwasher as my "drying rack" for those few dishes you hand wash - so that there is less clutter.