Houzz Logo Print
thorper14

Need help with kitchen layout

thorper14
9年前
We are building our dream home on 10 acres and after many iterations, we've almost finalized the floor plan. We've included many unusual requirements (ranch with all bedrooms together, laundry room near bedrooms vs. kitchen, etc.) and we've managed to get almost everything we want. However, the one area we are struggling with is the kitchen. I really want a sink at a window to enjoy the views of our property, but that seems to be creating the most trouble when trying to establish the rest of the layout while keeping the kitchen functional. I'm not ready to give up on the window sink yet, so I'm turning to Houzz for some advice.

Attached are two snippets of kitchen floor plans that we're considering, but they aren't quite right. The first has the sink at the window, however, I feel that the appliances are too far apart, making the kitchen less functional. The second has the sink in the island, which I don't love (yet). But this layout feels strange to me. I'd prefer the island be parallel to the great room, but I don't think the space allows for it. Note, in this layout, we'll likely remove the computer desk and change to a coffee bar space.

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions on how to make this our dream kitchen that includes a sink with a view, would be greatly appreciated!

コメント (5)

• delyanks
    9年前
    What if you had an angled island and put the sink on a 45? Ultimately in the second plan I'd move the dining room table where the couch is and push the living room over to the right. I'd take the dining room and make that wall flush with the rear wall and continue that as my counter space with a sink. If you want an island I'd make that one smaller and rotate it 90 degrees. This will also be cheaper to build than what you have.
    thorper14さんはdelyanksさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Maryland Residential Design & Construction, LLC
    9年前
    The dininig room to the rear is a much better layout. The sink at the island allows for views of the the rear property, the kids, and the family room area. Maybe do some taller windows or fixed doors in the dining area to increase the rear view. Most of all I would take the pantry off of that precious exterior wall space and reconfigure the mud room and powder room to fit the pantry in that area. In the area where the pantry was I would extend wall cabs to the corner and extend base cabs around the corner to on the rear wall. Add windows above the base cabinets on the rear wall where the pantry was...
    thorper14さんはMaryland Residential Design & Construction, LLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前
    My personal preference is having the dining table with as many windows as possible to take advantage of the views.
    thorper14さんはDytectureさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9年前
    I see both plans needing a good bit of work.

Most people don't spend much time at the sink -- do you? Do you cleanup as you cook, or pile everything up?

Powder room entrance should be off a short hall or from the mudroom, not opening into the public space.

How do you use the dining table? Dinner parties or family dining? Will you eat at the island or at the table. Do you watch TV while eating?

One plan has a large mudroom, the other does not.

A refrigerator needs counter space beside it.

Both seem too spread out, especially the first.

I could comment on many other things, but without knowing how you use the space and many other things, I'm just guessing.
    thorper14さんはPPF.さんにお礼を言いました
  • thorper14
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! We met with our designer last week and we finally have a plan that we think will work for us, which includes keeping the sink in the island and the dining table near all the windows. Thanks again!