Houzz Logo Print
maryjwhite

50's Floor to Ceiling Fireplace Update

The fireplace in my 1956 rambler is in need of an update but the large hearth seating and L-shaped opening have me a bit stumped. At the moment I'm leaning towards refacing the brick with stacked stone and adding a floating mantle. My husband really wants to keep this wood burning but wants glass doors installed. Thoughts?

コメント (70)

• er612
    9年前
    Here's a better angle:
    Rocky River Living · 詳細
    I like how the walls are kept light and bright. Have you considered raising your curtains so they skim the floor or replacing them with white/ivory so as not to compete with the stone?
  • PRO
    Green Depot
    9年前
    A simple coat of paint could tie the fireplace into the rest of the decor. It would give a nice background for any art/clock/faux antlers you decide to put up there. Keep the color palette harmonious.
  • Mary Jo White
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Er612 I like the wrap around mantel idea. It would help break up the large wall of brick nicely. My husband and I debated a long time about the curtain height. I think they should be hung at ceiling height as you suggest but he didn't think that was correct. Since he installed the rods I lost the debate. ;) I hadn't considered ivory curtains but I think it would be a great look.
  • cherylrot
    9年前
    I also have an L-shaped fireplace. Because I wanted to install a gas insert, I had a brick mason close off the side end and installed an insert. I then painted the whole brick from it's original red to a beautiful cream color. The bronze metal of the insert against the cream looks rich. I am very happy with the outcome.
  • er612
    9年前
    Yeah I agree the mantle would break up the brick but also tie things together. As far as the curtains, I suggested raising them to avoid the puddle effect at the bottom. Unless the ceilings are really tall, I find it weighs a room down and makes the ceiling appear shorter. I think the height of the curtain rod is fine. I would just hem the curtains or get new ones. I think a lighter color curtain would work nicely with the rest of the space, especially with the sleeker kitchen. White curtains, which you can find pretty cheap at Target and IKEA, would look great with your white trim. They would also provide a fresh backdrop for the piano. BTW - Great work so far! Your house is beautiful! I love the big window (and dog looking out). If you're considering painting the brick, wait! I'd hate for you to regret it. Plus it's nice keeping some things original (I like to blend old and new).
  • housegal200
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前
    The beefy dark mantles er612 posted would look great on your fireplace. If you're keeping the TV, it can go off to one side with a starburst mirror/clock on the other (there's one below from Overstock--measure to make sure there's space if TV stays up). Fill a tall wire basket (from a fireplace online store called Amara) with a lot of chunky logs beneath the TV to pull the eye away from the TV.
  • Sayra L.
    9年前
    Gosh! You have a case of the "neutrals". Girl, you need a dash of peacock blue, or orange. Like a pair of red shoes, you need something to draw your eye. Speaking on experience, ripping out brick is a nasty dirty mess. A quick budget fix: I would give the brick a good clean, and lose the TV. Update the hearth base, with some gorgeous slate. Check out the Brazilian black slate, it's very durable, and runs about $5 a sq ft. Add a rustic beam mantel...then warm it up, with a great piece of abstract art. Add accessories on the hearth to break stuff up. A potted plant makes a huge difference! One would go great on the hearth corner, look for pet friendly varieties :) Speaking on art-I'm a new fan of Bob Hunt's abstract pieces. Search for prints on Overstock.
  • Sayra L.
    9年前
    Here's a quick cheat! Overall I think you more accessories. Think about losing the art to the far right-add a mirror it would add more light to the room. Get a great kilim rug, and update the curtains. Pier 1 is your friend! They have great curtains.
  • Mary Jo White
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thanks for the visual S Adams! Love your ideas! A mirror would be great. The current artwork is something that had a great spot in a previous home and found its way here so it would cover a large screw previous owners put in the brick. This piece has moved around a lot but I'm liking the thought of a mirror in this space. It does need a brightener. The deep eaves of the house darken the space a lot despite the large windows.
  • PRO
    Blenard's Decor Limited
    9年前
    Here is an other idea for you
  • peggygriffith
    9年前
    It's funny, my son has a fixer upper house that he bought the 1st of the year. The house built in '74 has more of a mid century modern architecture. I had been thinking about asking for opinions on his fireplace on this site- very similar to the one posted on this. My original plan was to reface with large 12x24 ceramic tiles in grey, or reface with concrete/sheetrock with a smooth surface. He's currently using as a woodburning, but needs doors. Less expensive option is to use as gas (has the gas there). Thinking of the contemporary glass instead of fake logs. Because of other unexpected expenses in his fixer upper - thinking of just painting the brick a light grey (going with grey tones thru out the house). The hearth is kind of an awkward 3 inches off the floor - which is a trip hazard, so depending on the flooring we decide on, I will do the hearth in a contrasting color so it's more visible. I think the ideas here are good for your fireplace - I do believe you need to honor the 50's of the home in what you choose - like some of the ideas here. Please post what you end up doing!
  • dawnbc1
    9年前
    These are similar to yours. The most cost effective solution is to paint it, and as you can see by the painted white picture, it can look very modern. I just ripped out our wood burning and brick for a linear gas and quartz and I love it. I love it every time it's cold and I just push a button rather than head out to the garage and drag wood back through the house, dropping dirt and bark and spiders as I go ;)
  • dawnbc1
    9年前
    PS: You really need a rug and some pillows (textiles) to warm up your space and add interest. I like minimalism too but without those elements it can look too austere.
  • Macy Bradach
    9年前
    I don't know what your budget is, but L shaped inserts cost a lot of money ($3500+ depending on what you get). Just an FYI. We have a L shaped fireplace and have struggled with finding a less expensive alternative.
  • 43rd
    9年前
    Mary Jo, I have a question for you. In your first photos, I don't see any wires coming from the TV. How did you do that?

Did you carve out an area in the brick behind the TV? Where is the sound system, if any? I believe I noticed a speaker in the corner?

Thanks for your help. Can't wait to see what you decide for your fireplace.

CC
  • ravensmom13
    9年前
    Mary Jo............first of all.........DO NOT paint or re-surface that brick...yet.....LOL..........you really need to address "small changes" FIRST....live with it for quite a while after you make the "small changes"....you MAY find that it wasn't the color of the brick at all that was the problem...LOL....gorgeous room, and your furniture is just fine....but there is no COLOR!! I'm not suggesting you go crazy and go "bohemian" with colors in there, but the dark burgundy furniture ( which is lovely! ) does not "stand out"....
    1.) a rug ( as previously mentioned ) in a cream colored background with perhaps burgundy and tan and teal accents would tie it all in nicely...one large rectangular one to go from front of fireplace to just under the loveseat, and from under windows to just under sofa, would "warm up" the room nicely...

2.) .curtains in a cream tone would not "weigh down" the room so much and make it appear lighter in the day, and cozy and warm at night...

3.) In my opinion only, that fireplace screen needs to see the trash man pronto...LOL....glass bi-fold doors in black would "streamline" the whole look....

4.) In my opinion only, I would agree with previous poster about adding a padded cushion for seating on the fireplace ledge for when you host gatherings....however I would have it made to only cover the area to the left of the fireplace opening...danger of it getting too hot otherwise and starting a real fire OUTSIDE of the fireplace! or even cheaper still ( and easily changed out ) would be some square throw pillows in perhaps colors that are in whatever rug you decide on....pillows could "live" on sofa and loveseat, and then be placed on hearth when company needs extra seating areas!!

5.) Hard to tell from the pictures ( my eyes are bad and pics are dark ) but I would also "lose" the black "thing-y" under the TV on the ledge, and whatever is dark on floor just to right of curtains.....seems to me that area could use a chair....not one as "massive" as your leather pieces, but something with a low back, definitely a swivel-style ( so can also enjoy the fireplace and TV ) and perhaps with a "rounded" shape, and definitely in another of the colors of whatever rug you choose....or cream with a toss pillow in burgundy to unify the colors of the sofa and loveseat.....

6.) Last of all, I would get a sofa table to place behind the love seat....that would make it more of an "entryway" rather than looking like you're stepping directly into your living room ( which you are! LOL...just try to hide that fact! ) a nice green plant on top of the table would "cozy" it up, too....or perhaps a grouping of candles....

These are "small changes" that will not break the bank....and I think would do wonders to just "unify" and "cozy up" your wonderful space....Congratulations on your new home, and you've done a great job with it so far.....keep us all posted on your progress!!
  • wantsideas
    9年前
    I like your fireplace. It makes your home unique. I would get glass doors for it and move the TV if possible. I like the ideas listed above for a leather cushion for the hearth, adding a mantle and some colorful artwork. Good luck with it and I hope you post whatever you decide to go with.
  • ChristinA Reese
    9年前
    Hi! Well I feel your dilemma! Many great suggestions so far. Here are a few of mine as I am rebuilding a home from the ground up. Learning so much & hired interior decorator was my best move yet!
    Room is too dark. Place a long mirror on my right side, remove the art.
    Get rid of the surround & replace with sleek glass doors with Black trim. Consider painting the mantle black to match the TV & glass doors. Now u have some pop! Add a black wire basket on left corner of hearth to keep wood in & such. The curtains have to go! Sorry. Rethink the Window. Can u take a pix showing the window? Since the brick is tan use the tan in your color scheme.
    Lights/darks...Perhaps a nice throw rug something fun, like a shag or fur in a camel color. I saw black table I think? What color is your couch? Black, tan go great together, you have the nice white wall on the side where the window is. Tell me some of you & hubby's FAV colors. See how is this pix they tied the black white & tans together? Looks sharp & clean! Hope this helps. :)
  • ChristinA Reese
    9年前
    Forgot to mention depending on the color of your couch, but a pop of Orange would look FAB in the room! ;)
  • lazidazi
    9年前
    Cover the brick with slate. Remove the TV. Add a sleek modern fireplace insert [whether wood-burning or gas] to dramatically change the appearance plus gain heating efficiency.
  • juduinmn
    9年前
    I agree with a lot of these suggestions Keep the brick! Rug and accessories, and curtains & cushions would tie the space together and soften the feel. I would love to see a chunky mantel, one that floats across the whole front, making the TV appear to be resting on it. I would put a huge round clock to anchor the other side or a colorful piece of art work that could have a recess light shining down on it. Lastly, I would build open shelves to the right of the fireplace to tie in with the mantle...yet being able to see the brick behind it. The you have an another area to bring in a pop of color.
    I don't think you will have a problem bringing it all together, because you have beautiful taste and have done a superb job!
  • Tor Henning Flaatten
    9年前
    Our fireplace in Norway looked just like that ( only smaller dim.) yellowizhh bricks and a not so efficent open cornerfireplace. Dark floor and dark walls. A brickmason used a modern based white fiberplastemix (heavy work!) and mounted a modern cassette fireplace. No more draft and 6 times the heating power from the same firewood.
  • Delora Dickey
    9年前
    The brick is beautiful with clean lines - leave it alone. Add a glass insert in the fireplace and get rid of the free-standing screen. Add a mantel stained in the same shade as your wood-framed furniture (love the dining chairs - I have the same as bar stools). Now you both have what you want. Now, bring color and drama via items you put ON the mantel AND that amazing raised seating ledge.
  • PRO
    Powell Painting
    9年前
    There are lots of great ideas and I am sure your inspired to make the changes needed. I agree with leaving the brick alone....for now. Absolutely agree with the wrap around mantle.,

I can also say as a company we have clear coated brick and rock to enrich the colour. If you got the brick wet, this is the clear coat would look like.

Also on unpainted brick staining even if a solid colour is desired. An exterior latex or or hybrids is best. Benjamin Moore has a product, Arborcoat stain is fantastic for adhesion and durability.

Stain will soak into the brick and be more peel resistant. It also allows the brick texture to still show so the finish is lighter.

Good luck and please share the results!!

Tanja
  • Susan King
    9年前
    Lots of great suggestions! I like preserving the integrity of a space, and the fireplace is a huge part of that. I vote add area rug as shown above, wrap around mantle, accessories like a throw, and pillows for color, and table top decor, lighter drapes, lamps, and rearranging your furniture. Rearrange your furniture to create a conversation area, (maybe long sofa backed to window, end tables and lamps beside, and loveseat across from it, but away from the wall, coffee table centered... all appropriately accessorized would go a long way to making a fabulous room. Consider painting the stairwell railings to match the kitchen cabinet color, and I would also remove the shelf unit next to the piano, to allow the drapes to fall freely to the beautiful floor..While you are at it, remove the popcorn ceiling. Have fun, and please share your "After photos"
  • vacox
    9年前
    Mary Jo, I just found this thread; I read where you've decided not to reface or paint. I also have a house built around the same time, with a wall to ceiling brick fireplace. The brick is the same as our exterior brick. I wanted to reface or paint really badly, but my husband did not so we didn't. Now I am really glad I didn't. It's really part of the original bones of the house and I've realized that I like it! I love SAdams suggestion of a bright modern piece of artwork. I do really like the neutral, large rectangular piece hanging along the back.
  • kathyjohnstonkathy
    9年前
    Before you reface or paint take away everything that is there and start over. You need color and textiles to warm it up, a different screen and fireplace tools.

The ceramic vase idea might work but not that one as it doesn't have enough color, character or volume.

Do you have a chair you might try in the space next to the fireplace window junction? Face it out...

Personally, I think you have enough leather in the room so I would try textiles for pillows.
  • lessismoore
    9年前
    You've had a lots of opinions, so, what's one more?
    You mentioned that your furniture was from another, more traditional space. Would you be willing/able/interested in (simply) getting furnishings that work in your new more "modern" space? It could lighten things up considerably too, giving you an opportunity to add color in a intentional way. Your furniture is very nice (but a bit dark, a bit heavy, all together in the space). [houzz=
    My Houzz: Connecting Work and Play in South Australia · 詳細
    ]
    I would leave the fireplace as is, add in those leather cushions on the surround.
    I would even suggest a window treatment like this, simple panels.

[houzz=
    Modern Kitchen · 詳細
    ]
  • diyer59
    9年前
    Tell hubby to nix the idea of keeping it wood burning. First, having a fireplace is like having an big open window in your home. Second, and most importantly, wood smoke kills people. Anyone with lungs suffers, it's a fact: children have developing lungs, sets them up for asthma. Elderly with heart problems have heart attacks. And don't get me started on adults with serious lung problems--wood smoke killed a dear friend right in her own home.

Be smart, do away with wood burning fireplaces. We don't need more air pollution, we need less.
  • Kendra Harris
    9年前
    It's sooooooo nice to have a gas fireplace. Look for a new insert. They are quit efficient and where I am gas is quite cheap. We bought a tear down midcentury rancher, and have been renovating for 2 years. I have to say hands down my favourite thing we did is install a gas fireplace! Cosy, cosy. It heats our whole house in Canada!
  • PRO
    Studio 513
    9年前
    Here's a solution proposed to one of my clients who had 50's rambler we were updating...Wrap the brick with 5/8 drywall and integrate the firepace with the walls.
    This can be done quite easily by means of liberal amounts of subfloor adhesive on the back of the drywall, then using 1x or 2x cleats screwed thru the drywall into the brick. After the glue has set - give it 3 days - unscrew the cleats and tape over the screw holes. This will give you the opportuity for a very sleek layout especially with that wraparound mantle described above. My read of your kitchen etc is that you will appreciate how it works out. Also note that doing away with the hearth on a wood burning fireplace is a no-no both according to code and common sense.
  • peoplerpeople
    9年前
    I'm really glad you are keeping the brick fireplace and saving the integrity of your house. I like the simple, asymmetrical mantle idea best. Asymmetry is often more interesting than symmetry. Go for balance instead. It would be great to relocate the TV and hang a piece of art instead, but an asymmetrical mantle and a cushion will go a long way.
  • PRO
    360 Design
    9年前
    we wrap a lot of older fireplaces with our 3d fireproof product. by installing some of our LED lights we can create a completely new look that is seamless and amazing.
  • stevedenver
    9年前
    The room looks rather compact, so a finish that is simpler to the eye than stacked stone would work great. For the era of the home, Painting the brick or applying hardwood plywood paneling and a mantle that echoes the seating. It will also allow you to position the TV better and protect it from the drying heat of the fireplace.

There are great glass doors available.
  • chrissiekirk
    9年前
    Please don't paint the brick...I detest painted brick...brick wasn't meant to be painted! I love the brick and really think a good cleaning and seal would do wonders for it and would go with your furnishings. If able to do a mantel that went from the left of the fireplace and around the corner (in a dark wood) THAT would be amazing. Don't clutter up the area though...just a few nice pieces to perk it up and add your personality. I love everything you have done, kitchen is awesome and I say carry on and keep having fun with this renovation!
  • PRO
    HARPER LUMBER & BUILDING SUPPLY LLC
    9年前
    Had the same problems and a limited budget. We elected to cover in Eldorado stacked stone, put a floating mantle up, and keep the wood burning fire, just added a gas starter. Hated to cover it with doors (my husband wanted them too) so just kept my screen. Am so happy with it now!
  • debrajoyca
    9年前
    I think a floating mantel would look nice in a contrasting colour, if you find another spot for your tv.
  • goodewyfe
    9年前
    Is the brick as dark as it looks in the pictures? If so, is that the true color or does it need to be "power washed" (or whatever you call it when it is done indoors)? I was just thinking the brick might have darkened over the years from the use of the fireplace.

Regardless, I agree with most comments - keep the brick, eliminate the wood burning aspect of the fireplace, lighten things up in the room (ivory colored drapes, a rug with an ivory background with some darker color matching the furniture) and if you can't change the furniture, drape some ivory colored throws over the backs.
  • sartarehare
    9年前
    We have a similar looking fireplace in our downstairs family room and threw in a very mod wood insert. We're in Seattle so we can certainly use the heat. Anyhow, a reface might be nice, but I wouldn't paint it unless you don't plan on using the fireplace. Paint is not meant for those areas. I'm sure folks will argue with me (I had a 1927 house and we stripped the paint from the fireplace so that it looked awesome afterwards with the gas insert) but paint is not fire resistant and will bubble and blacken with use. Ask a contractor.
  • hondoll
    9年前
    I have a mid-century home with a fireplace similar to yours and I chose to go with the period design. I would suggest adding doors and designing the room around the fireplace. If you choose to modern it up, then I would say a floating mantel would look nice with some nice accessories. I can't see the entire room but depending on which way you decide to go you should add some color and/or pattern...and texture to provide some visual interest.
  • patatas
    9年前
    I like the suggestion to paint the brick. That is timeless, whereas in my humble opinion, it is not going to be long before stacked stone becomes described as "so nineties."
  • hondoll
    9年前
    @patatas...this is exactly why I decided to stick with the period design of my mid-century fireplace. It will always be 'dated' but in a good way. I have a mix of pieces from mid-century through modern in the room and it gives a current feel without having to do anything to the architectural 'highlight' of the home. It's all in how you design around it.
  • sartarehare
    9年前
    That's exactly what I do @hondoll. The modern insert is simple and clean lined to complement the period. Always works.
  • hondoll
    9年前
    @sartarehare I had considered an insert at one point. Hmm, I'm thinking again. :-)
  • perveiler
    9年前
    I would flip the sofa with the love seat. The coffee table should go in front of the sofa. The curtains should go to the ceiling, it will make the room look taller. I would also remove the tie backs. Consider painting the wall with window with a contrasting color and make it more of a focal point. I agree with previous post and would change the brick, but add a nice mantel. Also you need to paint the rail and spindles white. Beautiful home.
  • jenniferdietrich
    9年前
    Reface it with a stacked stone.
    If you have natural gas, install a ng fireplace.
    Glass doors on a wood burning unit always look dated
  • er612
    9年前
    Just realized you're in Minneapolis. Have you visited Room & Board's weekend outlet? R&B furniture would work well in your space, especially if you prefer leather. You can often find their furniture on Craigslist too. I like another commenter's suggestion of a Kilim rug. I'd match the mantle to your kitchen cabinets and paint your stair railing white to match the end posts.
  • er612
    9年前
    Saw this pic and thought of you. It looks like your TV is well mounted (cords hidden) so I wouldn't bother moving it. Embrace the asymmetry. This pic shows that it can work well. http://houzz.com/photos/1157722
  • Mary Jo White
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I've been tied up with travel and Thanksgiving so just getting back to all these great suggestions. To answer the questions about the tv, there is a nickel size hole in the mortar that the cords are fed through. Directly behind that section of the fireplace is a built in hutch of sorts in our office so our players and sound system are in that hutch. The speakers are wired through the attic. The big "black thing" by the curtain is the subwoofer. It would certainly be nice to leave the tv where it is because of the risk of it heating up if it were too close to the opening and the current ease of hiding the other devises. I'll have to post a pic tomorrow of the office - hutch is in an exposed brick wall on back side.

I just recently checked out R and B and loved their furniture options. I need to go back when I don't have little kids with me. It was super busy since it's only open on weekends. Definitely the right look and feel and the leather is easier to maintain with our Brittany spaniel who thinks he owns the place. ;)
  • Ann Wright
    9年前
    I have almost the exact same fireplace but more of a blonde brick, with two small concrete shelves that jut out diagonal from each other...and I hate it. I hate it so much. My husband hates it. There is a matching planter across from it. And the entire facade of the house is the same brick. This is the house we plan on growing old in and mid century is just not our style. As a house purist I am over run with guilt that I want to change the original details! The simple answer would be to sell but moving is not going to happen-we refuse to move anymore. We are on three acres, we love our location, and this house is solid. I keep hoping to come across the perfect idea that will combine our style whilst saving me the tremendous guilt I will feel if I completely alter the fireplace!