Houzz Logo Print
nataliebeith

What sort of plants?

nataliebeith
9年前
最終更新:9年前
I am looking for ideas for plants for my driveway. I want low maintenance with an Asian exotic feel. It will be in full sun most of the day and I live in a hot hmid environment. Any suggestions would be helpful.

コメント (17)

• nataliebeith
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thanks, how tall do golden canes grow and would they mark the fence?
  • PRO
    Harrison's Landscaping
    9年前
    On average they grow to around 2-3 meters high and shouldn't mark the fence.
  • nataliebeith
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    What about the Yukka family or pine tree family would you recommend something like this?
  • PRO
    Harrison's Landscaping
    9年前
    Yucca's have a tendency to grow a bit out of control, you may also experience problems with their roots. Pines would work however they won't give a tropical feel and they could create mess on the walls.
    nataliebeithさんはHarrison's Landscapingさんにお礼を言いました
  • nataliebeith
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Do you mean the roots get out of control?
  • nataliebeith
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    What about this type of plant
  • PRO
    Harrison's Landscaping
    9年前
    That looks like an Agave - they would also work however they won't give you the height, they'll grow to about 600mm high, and wide as opposed to tall. If you're after screening it's probably not the best option. Agave's are better suited to pots.
    nataliebeithさんはHarrison's Landscapingさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Home Staging Toowoomba
    9年前
    I think a clumping bamboo would be perfect.
  • georgia Martin
    9年前
    I think just nice green original ones would be nice
  • PRO
    Annie Cass Landscapes
    7年前

I'd go with bamboo.

• Kerrie Hughes
    7年前
    I have golden cane palms in a Brisbane taller than my 2 story house the base line spread is way to wide for that narrow garden bed. I wouldn't recommend them at all.
    Do you want to totally cover that fence?
    How tall do you want the plants to grow?
  • Kerrie Hughes
    7年前
    What about Bird of Paradise. Mass planted. They will grow snout 4-5 feet tall itch the flower spikes standing above that.
    They are as tuff as nails, love tropical conditions. Have an Asian contemporary feel about them. Are very sculptural. Interesting foliage and amazing flowers.
    You can plant Xanadu philodendrons between that will act like a sub layer and fill in the gaps with their own interesting leaf formations.
    On that front corner where your stack stone and letterbox are I would keep it low and simple for the posties access. Mini variegated lomandra as that will highlight the darkness of the wall.
    Try to get in as much good soil as you can before you plant as it looks like it's clay, if so dig in some gypsum.
    Great soil equals happy plant.
  • KK1000
    7年前
    Something like this maybe.
  • spmm
    7年前
    Golden cane and any type of unfettered bamboo are not recommended they get out of control very quickly in your climate and are very hard/expensive to remove and often encourage vermin.

Dracena, agave, cordyline - also your local council or shire should have a list of safe trees and shrubs specifc for your area which will grow well and not be a pest later.
  • LesleyH
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

Bamboo in pots. Clumping bamboo in saucer style pots makes dividing or control of root ball easy. Paint white wall behind another colour.

• PRO
    Annie Cass Landscapes
    7年前

Lesley, thank you for your reminder that bamboo needn't be invasive if sufficient thought is given to infrastructure. And I think it would look fabulous!