Houzz Logo Print
htht2014

Urgent, help with countertop decision!

htht2014
9年前
Long story short. I was only told yesterday that the countertop I picked for my bathroom, LG Rococo,will have a huge waste after cutting out what I need. The Pental Arctic Polished is cheaper. Do you think it will go well with the tiles and backsplash I choose for the Rococo?

コメント (33)

• htht2014
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    please help
  • Jolene
    9年前
    I think it goes and is pretty, but it does have a lot more movement than the first one.
  • flyr4fun
    9年前
    It looks like it will go fine, but don't let yourself be rushed into making a decision. You will be living with it every day so make sure you get what you want and not pushed into something else.
  • setauketli
    9年前
    Honestly there's a reason it's cheaper. It's a much more intense pattern and doesn't seem as calming and neutral as the more expensive choice. Is the money saved significant?
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9年前
    Why not see if they have some Carrara marble .
  • jh77
    9年前
    Arctic polish will go well but will be much more dramatic due to the contrast which is fine if you are ok with the difference. I think the Arctic polish will hide dirt better. The one question I ask myself with these sorts of decisions is if the price difference is sufficient that I won't mind the different look. After all this is something you will have to live with a long time. If you have any doubts I'd pay the extra amount for the counter you want. In the long run it will be worth it. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
  • htht2014
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thank you guys so much! Ridiculously, I don't even know how much I am saving. Will get the quote difference in the next two hours or so. My husband wants me to stick with the original choices. I am just not certain about what choice is a good choice.
  • jh77
    9年前
    One more thought. What color is the cabinet? If it is black I think the Arctic will look really sharp. If it is white, the strong black line in the Arctic might stand out too much if it doesn't tie to any other accent in the room.
  • htht2014
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Hi Patricia,

My contractor wants to have the countertop guy come in and make a templet tomorrow, demolish the bathroom on Monday. I do not really have much time to shop around. Will I be able to buy a small piece of marble that fits my counter size and not have too much waste?
  • htht2014
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    jh77, it's white shaker cabinet
  • PRO
  • D J
    9年前
    I would say stick with your first choice.
    Less harsh.
    Check out how much will be left.
    Can you put the rest in another bathroom or half bathroom?
    If the rest can fit somewhere else but your budget can't allow you to do it know, keep the rest of the slab for latter.
  • Natalie
    9年前
    Hi---I think it's pretty. However, I would omit the stone for the splash, as the counter has enough going on---you could always add interest by using a smoke or charcoal grout for the backsplash. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
  • htht2014
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thank you beer and Natalie. Natalie, we really like the stone assent so I think I will stick with Rococo.
  • PRO
    DirectBuy of Fort Worth
    9年前
    I love Roccoco from LG use the left over to dress up a side table or night stand..and I love your original tile selection.
  • htht2014
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thank you DirectBuy! I really loved my first choice as well! The floor tile is a bit darker than the photo shoes, closer to the gray pattern in the Rococo.
  • PRO
    DirectBuy of Fort Worth
    9年前
    Hope you sahre the finished photos. Sounds like it will be amazing
  • htht2014
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    My kitchen choices, also with white shaker cabinet.
  • htht2014
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I will for sure, thanks again DirectBuy.
  • Natalie
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前
    Beautiful materials for the kitchen too. Good for you sticking with your first choice. Hey, it's only money and if the hubby is in favor of the more costly counter, then why not? :) Keep us posted... Good Luck!
  • PRO
    Stone Improvement Inc.
    9年前
    I would go with the first choice. Because of the high mineral content in the Artic, it won't have a consistent polished sheen. If you do go with the Artic, I would recommend going with a honed sheen. It will tone down the drastic patterns in the stone and it won't show as much wear. Seal the stone at least one a year as well.
  • htht2014
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I thought quartz doesn't need to be sealed, no?
  • PRO
    Stone Improvement Inc.
    9年前
    It is a calcium based stone and whenever anything acidic is applied to the stone, the calcium naturally neutralizes the acid thus removing it from the stone and leaving an etch mark. Sealants help reduce the damage by filling pours in the stone where the acid would migrate and create more of the chemical reaction.
  • PRO
    Stone Improvement Inc.
    9年前
    Water based penetrating sealants are the way to go. They just need to be applied more often than a solvent based sealants.
  • Natalie
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前
    Never heard of having to seal quartz, as it's non-porous. I know they can fade/discolor over time from the sun, but that's good to know about the sealer...
  • grammasandy
    9年前
    Stick with your first choice. you will soon forget the $ difference, but if you decide you don't like the second choice after its in you will be reminded of that every time you look at it! Just a thought...
  • diyher
    9年前
    Glad you are going with the 1st choice :) I'm going with LG Minuet myself. I too wondered if there would be a large piece left over. If so, I was going to see how much and what else I could use it for. Maybe my laundry room next to our kitchen, or even our master bath. Would be curious if they let you buy the left over, then have them cut it later for you once you decide what to use it for?
  • htht2014
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Diyher, the leftover is yours if you pay for the whole slab.
  • PRO
    ASCO GRANITE COUNTERTOPS
    9年前
    Hi, you could check the Pental colors Tobacco and Serra, more subdued, see if they work, should be same price range as the Arctic.
  • htht2014
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thank you! I have decided to stick with my original plan. :-)
  • diyher
    9年前
    oh, didn't know we pay for the whole slab. 1st time doing countertops :)
  • Gloria Bickerstaff
    9年前
    I JUST GOT A QUOTE ON LG ROCOCO. I WANTED MARBLE BUT KNOW IT ISN'T PRACTICAL. LOVE THE MOVEMENT IN IT,