Houzz Logo Print
carinajone

Dark or Light wooden floor

carinajone
9年前
最終更新:9年前
We have just moved into a Victorian house, with minimal furniture and therefore a blank canvas for decoration. I have lots of dilemma.

1. We need to install wooden floors for the whole of the ground floor - hallway, living room and dining room. The lounge is painted grey (French Grey from Little Greene), with white wood trim, and white shutters. The dining room is red in all 4 walls , which we did not change, but would be happy to repaint 2 or 3 of the walls white if need be.

We've sanded the existing floorboards of one of our upstairs room, and did not stain it. It is an antique pine colour. I feel like something different for downstairs, and chose a darker wood to lay (it's sort of mid brown). There are large bay windows in the living room, and 2 windows in the dining room. I feel they can take a darker wood floor, however I am also worried about the dark floor 'sucking the light out of the place'. The back end of the hallway leads into the kitchen, which is bright and light, with light cream units and light stone floor.

2. The dining room deco was from the previous owner, we haven't got a dining table yet. Happy for suggestions for dining table options to go with the room. We didn't like the white as shown here, but would oak type of table be too dark if we go for dark wood floor?

The style I'm going for is traditional / contemporary mix I suppose. The grey and white with shutters in the living room is going to be quite contemporary already. I feel the light wood floor would make things too contemporary?

Any advice would help. Many thanks.

コメント (19)

• carinajone
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Also attach upstairs sanded floor
  • jpbarro
    9年前
    I'm having the same dilemma, our lounge is north east facing so not the brightest room in the house. I have taken up the carpet and there are wonderful floor boards which have a dark stain around the edge; from the days when you had a massive rug instead of fitted carpets. I have thought long and hard about what to do. Do I paint them white? Or sand them and varnish or do I go with the dark stain and a huge rug? I've decided on the latter. My colour scheme is chartreuse on the fire wall and a pale cream on the rest, a light rug and matching curtains. I think you need a contrast and dark colours can be muted with light soft furnishings etc.
    carinajoneさんはjpbarroさんにお礼を言いました
  • Tani H-S
    9年前
    Hi, we too have all the floor stain samples out and I must have bought about 8 different colours to try. I was adamant I wanted dark flooring after having a rich dark teak in our last house- but the room we had it in was South facing and had crisp white walls with a feature wall colour.
    The lounge (north facing and small) had lighter flooring and I think this would have been awful with dark flooring.

Our current house is a lot bigger and brighter but I'm still hesitant and worry that it will suck the light out. I'm experimenting with a medium oak stain instead which might be safer, but will be neutral. Ours are all floorboards though and we did a light oak stain on our Victorian bedroom floors before which looked better than the pine. This house - we are painting them all white in the bedrooms (bit nervous).

So re colour scheme - I think the dark floors would look great with very pale walls and keeping to one feature wall. If you plan on having more contemporary furniture (something plain and perhaps not browns) then this will look stunning with the dark floors.

I don't think lighter floors are any more contemporary than dark ones but lighter floors means that you have more flexibility with your colour schemes and furniture.
    carinajoneさんはTani H-Sさんにお礼を言いました
  • SJTZ
    9年前
    We have similar wall color to you and dark floors. I think it looks great together. In our similar dining room we have a black Woden table that looks just right.
    carinajoneさんはSJTZさんにお礼を言いました
  • Nick Ratcliffe
    9年前
    I'm trying to find some way of painting the floors but not with a solid colour but more like a lime wash that just tones down the wood but doesn't rob it of texture, rather like the old limewash originally on tudor cottages...
  • Tryphic
    9年前
    We have carbonised strand woven bamboo, not too dark but it looks really good. Much more elegant I think than a lighter look. It doesn't suck the light out at all.
    carinajoneさんはTryphicさんにお礼を言いました
  • carinajone
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    We have put the deposit down for the darker one of the 2. Fingers crossed. Somehow, this is the most difficult decision, as it cannot be changed easily. I will provide some photos when floor is done.
  • boundsgreener
    9年前
    What a beautiful house with wonderful features. Congratulations. Dining rooms can be lovely when they are dark and moody, which you'll get with red walls and dark floors. Definitely a wood table (that white that the last owners had is all wrong and also looks too small). I don't know what your style is, but I wouldn't get the same tone of wood as the floor stain as it'll all blend in together and look like a mass of brown. Take a (small) plank of the wood with you when you are looking at tables.

If they left you half a tin of that red paint, I'd do the radiator if I were you, because it'll stand out even more with the dark floors.

Oh, and I think that floor in your bedroom is absolutely gorgeous.
  • bruket
    9年前
    My advice, do not do dark floors, every little mark (rubber soft shoes etc) shows up, particularly when the sun hits the floor through a window. You constantly need to clean it. My brother and sister in law have just moved into their newly built house with dark floors, I asked them if they had made any design mistakes, yes, the dark floors.
  • Emma Page
    9年前
    Dark floors add a richness to a room. You can make cheap pine floorboards look like expensive oak by staining them. You may need to use a combination of wood stain colours in order to achieve the colour you want. This costs a fraction of what it would cost you to replace pine floorboards with oak. Finish with 3 coats of clear varnish for a fabulous finish. You'll need to ban high heels, chairs with sharp feet, and animals with sharp claws to maintain your beautiful finish. If your windows are big enough and you add enough lighting you don't need to worry about it making the room too dark.
  • carinajone
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Floor is coming next week. I will most definitely put the photos up :)
  • Nuri Iko
    9年前
    I love dark floorings!
  • PRO
    Woodpecker Flooring
    7年前

Hi Carina,

We'd definitely suggest a traditional oak flooring with a mix of golden/ashen tones. This sort of colour just goes so well with the eclectic look you're going for and is so easily paired with lots of colour schemes.

• PRO
    Equilibrando... Space Planning with Feng Shui
    7年前

I would definitely go for brighter floor. The more natural light your house has the better for your mood and your health. I like the picture posted by MPK Lofts Conversion & Construction Limited. You are right that this is difficult decision as it is not easy to change afterwards. I would go for bright structure of the house (floor and walls) and than add mood for each space playing with furnitures, accessories, artwork. Good luck! /Marcin

• PRO
    Feature Radiators
    7年前

I would suggest considering a cast iron radiator to give you a more traditional feel if you opt for the lighter floor

Etonian cast iron radiators · 詳細

Etonian cast iron radiators · 詳細

• PRO
    Creative Wood Kitchens
    7年前

Have a look at this project we completed last year.

Clare Range · 詳細

• PRO
    Woodfloors4u
    7年前

Here are some ideas for you Carina

https://www.woodfloors4u.co.uk/gallery-in-a-page-full/

Let us know if any of them interest you. We do also have a bespoke hand finishing service whereby we can achieve virtually any colour out there.

• PRO
    Floor Monster
    6年前

Hi there,

We have a couple of darker option, I believe when going for a dark flooring it tends to create a more warm and cosy feel. We have a couple of option in stock that may be something of interest, these options are engineered boards.

The first option we would have is the Pyrenees Smoked Oak, this is a stunning wide oak board. With the wider planks it creates depth to the room like no other board. On another note, it is also available inHerringbone style.

The second option would be our gorgeous Hand scraped Geneva oak, with the deep rich colour, it gives the room a fantastic rich feel.

The Third option we would have in stock would be our Oslo Oak, This board is relatively dark compared to the boards mentioned above.

Do you have an idea on the exact colour you would be looking for? Even a picture of something you have seen? We may have a product in stock to match exactly what your looking for.

If you do have any queries please do not hesitate to get in touch via email, Info@floormonster.co.uk or you can call us directly on 0141 887 5698.

Kind Regards,

Floor Monster Team