Houzz Logo Print
woodjay

Are laminate wood flooring & engineered flooring the same?

woodjay
9年前
I'm a bit confused between the terms laminate flooring (Aus) and engineered flooring (USA). Are they the same?

コメント (5)

• mldesign0401
    9年前
    They are referring to the same thing, actually they are called laminate and engineering in reference to the process in which they are made. Both are man made products using different methods in some cases, generally the substrate or base board the 'plank' is made from is a mdf board as it is structurally secure and is not effected by temperature changes the same way timber is. It has better thermal and insulative properties also.
    The top face or actual timber looking surface can either be a laminated product which is basically paper, and mimics floorboards etc, there are also flooring products that do use a thin veneer of timber for the finish and colour to be customized to suit the client.
    Generally speaking, both are refinished products ready to install.
    woodjayさんはmldesign0401さんにお礼を言いました
  • woodjay
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thank you for the information. Is one type more hard wearing than the other & which one looks the most like wood?
  • mldesign0401
    9年前
    Engineered flooring which has a veneer top layer looks more like wood as it is wood, think of a thin slice. It has the same properties and benefits of real timber as it has natural imperfections, unique colour and chAracteristics, and will come refinished from e supplier. You cannot sand these engineered products as you are in danger of sanding through to reveal the substrate. It is as hard wearing as the laminate as they both have a mdf substrate which stabilizes the end product.
    The laminate is often cheaper, and will look remarkably like timber, I have seen the
    Rocess they go through to get that result, although a trained eye will see a pattern in the woodgrain, the texture may not match the timber image etc, but they will have a larger range of colours available particularly the on trend ones. Such as the whitewash or weathered looking planks.
    Once again, these things will date quicker than the natural looking timber planks.
    I would go with the veneer engineered flooring for this reason.
    You are welcome for the advice.
  • mldesign0401
    9年前
    I believe both products are as durable as each other, each with their own pros and cons.
    In terms of product applications and limitations, it differs only in the aesthetic.
    Both products are available in varying thicknesses, 3-4mm and 7-9mm boards, the ticker the better they feel and sound underfoot. The thin boards give it away that it is a man made product. To some people, that translates to artificial.
    woodjayさんはmldesign0401さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    MELBOURNE OAK FLOORS by Floors Australia Pty Ltd
    8年前

Hi there

I thought I would jump in here a touch as you are on the right track but there are some glaring points that need to be cleared up for you before you go and purchase flooring.

Laminate flooring is a Hi Def image of Timber flooring/oak/Natural Species etc and then transposed using a heat method to a MDF or HDF core, then profiled with a click system for ease of installation, maintenance relocation and repair.

Good laminate flooring (Quikstep or Krono Swiss) can be very rewarding , look very much like natural timber, and be very durable against scratching and indentation.

Laminates nemesis is high saturation of water or moisture.

Good e budget solution for all living areas and rooms except toilets bathroom or laundrys.

Engineered boards are a veneer of Natural timber and are just as durable as the solid version of whatever species you choose.

Whether that be Spotted Gum, Jarrah or Oak.

Sorry but you CAN re sand engineered boards.

When re sanding occurs through a professional sander, the top .5mm is the depth of the product that you generally ever really need to remove.

Some engineered flooring has a 6mm wear layer/ veneer and that's more than if you purchased a solid 19mm raw timber floor.

Engineered boards are less likely "cup"(edge of the boards rising so that you can see a little lip) than a solid.

We would recommend that if you are considering a timber floor please consult a retailer that only handles timber and specializes in that medium.

Hope this helped