Houzz Logo Print
sferrian

Help with my stairs

sferrian
12年前
I am tearing out the carpet on my stairs but do not want to remove the oak railing because I don't think it would be as sturdy when reinstalled. I have black slate tile that I am thinking of using as stair tread and just bumping up against the oak tread. I also have a weathered wood looking floor tile that is in the living room and hallway that meets these stairs. Any thoughts or suggestions?

コメント (17)

• michigammemom
    12年前
    I would hesitate laying tile on your existing oak treads. Tile is typically installed with a rigid backer board to help eliminate cracking. A fresh updated carpet on your staircase would be beautiful.
    Old Greenwich Beach Cottage · 詳細
  • sferrian
    質問の投稿者
    12年前
    The oak tread does not run under the carpet. It is plain particle board under there. I wish it was oak tread all the way accross. That would solve my dillema. I am removing the carpet because it is to dirty with my large dogs coming in and out all the time.
  • PRO
    Stair Solution and More
    12年前
    Re-installing the handrail and spindles would not be a problem if the proper stair company does the install. Replacing your exisiting treads with solid oak treads and staining them to match would be a wonderful look. Upgrading to iron spindles would also be an option. Check our website for ideas www.stairsolution.com
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    12年前
    I would not put slate tile on the stairs, not the right material for that application. If you are looking for durability try a heavy weight sisal. There are many different colors and patterns available. This will work great with stair hardware for a nice finished look. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
  • PRO
    Greenleaf Design
    12年前
    Use seagrass. It's incredibly durable and hides a lot of dirt--not to mention it is classic and modern. You can have it bound in a contrast (choc. brown or black) to give it a crisp look and leave your railing as is. I have always had 2 big dogs, have seagrass in several rooms of my house & it's great. I use Carbona rug cleaner (get it in the drugstore) to spot clean when necessary. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    12年前
    最終更新:12年前
    Hi sferrian, here's a photo with tiles and oak staircase, note the handrail is installed on the stringer, rather than on the stair tread like you have there. So it is possible to lay tiles on staircases, but in your situation I would go with others and just replace the carpet with similar materials, unless you are prepared to pay for extra labor to do additional cut tiles on every step.

Good Luck.
  • houssaon
    12年前
    I would vote for a durable, low pile or woven carpet. You might find that the dogs are not too happy with the hard surface and the wood over time will show the wear of them bounding up the stairs. I feel that carpeting on stairs is safer too.
  • marketmaker
    12年前
    I just replaced wooden spindles with iron - very simple to do for a staircase company. I kept the newell posts intact. I did replace the carpeting with hardwood as well.
  • PRO
    Stair Solution and More
    12年前
    Whatever you do....don't PAINT your gorgeous oak!! Hardwoods are the crave now...once painted a new homeowner would be forced to replace and could drive down the selling ability of your home...food for thought!!
  • Beth
    12年前
    Here are some pics of my stair project. The landings are tile leftover from the downstairs tile job. The treads are low pile, commericial carpet. I wanted the ability to replace individual carpet treads if necessary. The risers are high gloss painted wood (or MDF) attached with screws and screw covers. Remove the riser, replace the carpet, reattach riser. I painted the spindles and am restaining the handrail darker (Im over that honey oak). I added all the wall trim/moulding. Big job but worth it.
  • michigammemom
    12年前
    This is ingenious! The screw covers on the risers are a cute design element. Your obvious effort really paid off.
  • 14thstreet
    12年前
    Of all tile to choose, do NOT use slate. Slate is naturally soft and will wear with traffic, so eventually the centers of your steps will look concave. I've seen slate used in the wrong spots in houses before and this happens in high traffic areas.

I vote for the new stair runner idea--love the jute and sisal suggestions also.
  • Jamieson
    12年前
    Wow! What a beautiful difference, you should be euphoric!
  • Petals Daye
    12年前
    We are currently house hunting with a fair sized budget. We see a number of people spend money on fix ups that don't really update their home in a positive way. And sorry but I shy away from homes with clunky railings like yours, they really date a home, even when painted. If re-sale is a consideration at all, I'd say update that element. Love the Jute and Sisal ideas for risers. If cost is an issue, painting in two tones is the most attractive solution.
  • jazzyjane58
    12年前
    I have oak railings and gum wood trim throughout my house and ppl love the look. I think it best to have your home the way you like it and hold out for a buyer with the same taste. It doesn't make sense to change your home to suit a buyer when you are living in it. You can't please everyone, so enjoy your home as you like it and forget about buyers - they will find one to their own tastes.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12年前
    Petals, there is nothing really wrong with the style of the newel
    spindles etc in sferians home. It is a common "spec" house element. What is wrong/dated is that it is oak and has yellowed. And it appears more so against the grey/beige of the runner. Panting it, and changing the runner would take care of the problem. It is my experience with clients looking to update a home, or even to move to a new one... that even the best/priciest of homes will have an element or two that doesn't a appeal. You either change the element to suit you, or you keep on looking for perfect,.....or you build to suit your tastes. Which btw...will require a lot more than a "fair sized" budget, as the homes you are likely to drool over will average at least 350.00 per square foot in a very average mid sized city. Forget NY , Chicago, San Fran etc...!!!