Houzz Logo Print
favoritedog

Need help with different size windows in same room

favoritedog
9年前
最終更新:9年前
As a result of combining two small rooms into one large room, the room now contains windows of two different sizes. The room goes from the front of the house to the back. The window on the front of the house is 4' x 3'. The windows on the side of the room and back wall are 3' x 3'. Is there any way to camouflage the smaller windows to make them appear the same size as the 4' x 3'? We don't want to replace any of the windows as they match the sides where they are on the outside of the house. Are there shutters made for this purpose?

コメント (9)

• apple_pie_order
    9年前
    Photos? Are the window sills all the same height from the floor?
  • apple_pie_order
    9年前
    Do you mean camouflage them on the inside or the outside?
  • favoritedog
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I will post photos in a little while. Window sills are not the same height from the floor. The top of the windowsill for the 4' x 3' window s 32" from the floor. The windowsill top for the 3' x 3' window is 44" from the floor. I would like to be able to camouflage them on the inside. Outside they match the other windows fine.
  • PRO
    August Architecture LLC
    9年前
    If you want to fool the eye or not bring as much attention to the fact that the windows are not the same size, one option could be to install matching curtains or draperies that are mounted at the same height and are the same width. I'm imagining the curtain rods being the same length and mounted at the same height from the ceiling (assuming you have the ceiling height). This would give the illusion that the windows are the same size, unless you really focused on the fact the sills are not at the same height (assuming that's the case). Hope this helps.
    favoritedogさんはAugust Architecture LLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • favoritedog
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    That is what I currently have. I have long panels that are pretty close to the ceiling and almost to the floor. And that looks fine when they are closed. It's when I open them that I'm not satisfied with. I was wondering if they make any type of shutters which mount over the trim and could go beyond the windowsill to give a faux appearance of a larger window. Other than having something custom made, does anyone know of something like I've described?
  • PRO
    August Architecture LLC
    9年前
    What you are suggesting is very possible, but probably not something you can buy ready to install without any modifications. Without actually seeing how far the sill extends into the room, my suggestion would be for you to find a good professional finish carpenter and tell him or her exactly what you want. They would then know what size standard shutters to buy and what necessary trim or/and fillers to add on the sides and bottom to make it work. Just keep in mind though that when the shutters are open, the light coming in through the shutter slots during the day will still reflect a different height in the sills. Good luck to you.
    favoritedogさんはAugust Architecture LLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • favoritedog
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    I did think about your last comment. I was thinking it would have to have shutters where only the upper slats would open.
  • favoritedog
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    The bottom slats would only be for looks, not operative.