Houzz Logo Print
agoslee

Dining Room Help

agoslee
9年前
I want to paint or wallpaper my dining room as well as hang drapes but am struggling with colors. At the moment it looks really boring. I am thinking of takig off the hutch top piece and putting the mirror above the console. Please help, I'm am stuck......

コメント (25)

• anitadavis
    9年前
    I think taking the top off the hutch and replacing it with the mirror is a good idea. Are you thinking of changing the paint color?
    agosleeさんはanitadavisさんにお礼を言いました
  • Maureen
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前
    Do you need the top for storage? If not, I would remove and look for a very large piece of artwork in various deep pastels. Paint color I would recommend is the wheat color that seems to be in your carpet. Consider two tone drapes, one color wheat and the other a color from the art. If having made, see 2nd picture - seam would be at the same level as edge of molding. houzz=
    Modern dining room · 詳細
    ]; [houzz=
    Library & TV Room · 詳細
    ]
  • agoslee
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Yes, I want to paint or wallpaper.
  • leelee
    9年前
    Take the top off the hutch and use it as a buffet. The shelf part really darkens the room and it will tend to look cluttered and busy.

Add a large painting with some color and interest over it.

Put a live palm or ficus in the corner to warm the room.
  • PRO
    RayLykins Art
    9年前
    Existing Paint color is too pink for the rug. Tone down the pink with new paint or wallpaper tone on tone over it. Then paint inside of shelving an accent color from elsewhere in house (got a green or teal used anywhere?), and add colorful art on either side of sideboard. You've got a classy start for design there!
  • leelee
    9年前
    No mirror, add art instead.
  • anitadavis
    9年前
    What about painting the ceiling? So dramatic!
  • MarleneM
    9年前
    Mirror is in good place right now because it's across from windows and would reflect outdoors and chandeliers. I agree with removing hutch and adding art above buffet. That would add a wow factor.
    Look at this paint and wallpaper collection from Sherwin Williams called liveable luxe. The Wool Skien might be a good choice.
    http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/hgtv-home-by-sherwin-williams/color-palettes/liveable-luxe/
    http://www.sherwin-williams.com/wcm/idc/groups/public/@swpublic/@sherwin-williams/@content/documents/webcontent/mdaw/mde5/~edisp/pdf-hgtv-liveableluxe.pdf
  • User
    9年前
    I would remove the hutch top. One possibility to consider for the walls would be going with a more dramatic color, perhaps something like a royal blue. Another possibility to consider, if going with a wallpaper, would be a metallic patterned wallpaper in a taupe, which would work with your mirror and lighting.
  • agoslee
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions!!!! I am more of a soothing color gal. I def don't want a brown or beige as I feel like with the rug and furniture there is enough brown. Def open to paint colors and drape combos. Also a lot of you mentioned art. Can you provide some websites if you know of any?
  • Maureen
    9年前
    Teal grasscloth would look wonderful with wheat colored linen drapes on a rod with crystal finials. There are some really good Quebec artists that you may find intresting. In website link (below) go to Artists then Painter. [houzz=
    Lovejoy Designs Interiors · 詳細
    ]; http://quebec.artistsincanada.com/artist/browse/painter-quebec/?category=5®ion=12
  • MarleneM
    9年前
    www.etsy.com is a great place to get an original piece of art.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9年前
    Maybe you should rethink the rug. It is too wide for the width of the table and too short for the length of it. Should b 4' wider and longer so the chairs don't fall off it when in use. You could rethink your color palette based on a new, and correctly sized rug.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9年前
    It appears that the wall color clashes with the fabric on the chairs and the area rug. Overall, the room needs some variance in color. I'm posting ideas for area rugs with a complimentary wall color to the right.

Top left: Anna Persian Rug
    Top right: Sherwin Williams First Star
    Bottom left: Nourison India Rug
    Bottom right: Farrow & Ball Lamp Room Gray

I would start with a new wall color and area rug that compliments the elegant chandelier and go from there toward art and other accents.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • sarainitaly
    9年前
    I like the mirror where it is, to reflect the window light. I also like the shelves on the hutch. (i love places to put things)

What about wallpapering the back of the hutch? Brings in texture, and you can go lighter, and display something pretty.

I agree with whoever above said the rug was too wide and short for your table. I think the room is pretty.
  • sarainitaly
    9年前
    Clean and simple is quite pretty. The room feels boring to you, perhaps, because it isn't staged, there is nothing on the shelves, or table, and no curtains.
    Traditional Dining Room · 詳細

Casual elegance · 詳細
  • dreamhomeinwkz
    9年前
    SarainItaly nailed it! I think the hutch is beautiful and provides lots of options for you, now & in the future to play up colors and to display things of STYLE (which can change easily and at a low cost). Changing the rug is key as well as well as what's on the table. A large white low ornate bowl filled with greenery and orchids that are tall and lacey with color would look GREAT and lighten up the table (and all the dark wood) and give some pop. You also have the ability to flank the hutch with paintings, mirrors which can change easily with your style - BEAUTIFUL ROOM!
  • agoslee
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Ok, so I am getting some clarity from all your suggestions!!!! I am thinking a soothing green or blue color walls. Any suggestions?
  • agoslee
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Also, will go with the art work suggestion I think. Not sure what type of rug would go with the style chandeliers I chose and it looks like the rig is to short. What is the measurements it should be with the table?
  • PRO
    CF Raines Interior Design
    9年前
    I think painting the walls a color maybe introduce a cool color like a grey blue on the upper walls. Everything seems too brown or beige. Your rug is a little short for the table, not sure you have it in your budget for a new rug but the ones shown above from Thos Baker would be really nice with the walls in one of those grey blue colors. Definitely soften up with fabric window treatments, maybe in a off white linen roman shade. I would remove the top of hutch and do artwork above cabinet to keep the lines clean and uncluttered. You could even paint the ceiling a lighter version of the whatever color you choose for the walls to create more intimacy and a little more dramatic feel.
  • cindyguent
    9年前
    Agoslee, please give dimensions of your table and room so someone can give you the proper size rug you need. Is your current rug square or rectangular? Also, might you consider removing leaf of table(if in) for everyday use if buying new carpet is not in budget?
  • leelee
    9年前
    Could you turn the rug in the other direction? It needs to be lengthwise rug to lengthwise table if it's not already--hard to tell on the screen.
  • agoslee
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Christi-I LOVE the second rug you recommended. Can you provide details of where I can find the price point and also the paint and make names? I have a pale gray in my family room so I don't want it to be the same color. Thanks so much!!! This is exactly what I was looking for. Would you do white or cream drapes?
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9年前
    Hi agoslee,

Glad to have posted what you were looking for.

The rug is Safavieh Wyndham Blue & Ivory. It can be purchased at:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Safavieh-Wyndham-Blue-Ivory-8-75-ft-x-12-ft-Area-Rug-WYD372A-9/204592543

http://www.rugstudio.com/safaviehwyndhamwyd372ablue-ivoryarearug.aspx

The paint color to the right of the rug is Sherwin Williams Tradewind.

The rug is described as being blue and ivory, but it looks blue and white on my screen. I would match the curtains to the the ivory (or white?) color in the rug once you've purchased it and can see it in person. Better to be sure before buying curtains!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker