Houzz Logo Print
deegilliam

How do you fix an exterior like this?

This house is for sale in a lovely area and has a workable floor plan and amenities. How on earth do you remedy the double-wide exterior?

コメント (10)

• PRO
    VizX Design Studios, LLC
    9年前
    Can you reposition the photo and repost it?
  • partim
    9年前
    Hope this works
  • partim
    9年前
    Midcentury modern time capsule house in Portland, Oregon · 詳細

I love how this one is painted. Go with a mid century modern vibe. Don[t try to get colonial. You have a modern house.
  • Dee Arrington
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Thanks so much, Partim! And great advice coming in. I like it!
  • partim
    9年前
    Many MCM homes have pergolas, across the whole house or part of it. If your budget stretches to it, it would look wonderful.

I love the mix of grey and natural wood in some of these.
    Midcentury Exterior · 詳細

Cloud Residence · 詳細

PBH Keith Heights · 詳細

Palm Springs · 詳細

Rural Mid-Century Modern · 詳細

Exterior, master bathroom added in zig-zag because of setbacks · 詳細
  • PRO
    Architects Magnus
    9年前
    Hi Dee - If you're interested in buying this property, search out a local architect that can provide you ideas based on your preferences. We provide that type of service for a small fee and it can be helpful advice when making decisions. BTW, love your profile picture! Best - HM
  • groveraxle
    9年前
  • Kivi
    9年前
    Wow ... That exterior... Ugh. As for this house being mcm or modern? It does not qualify as either IMO. Original poster was most accurate with double wide description.
    It definitely needs the hand of a skilled architect.
  • partim
    9年前
    Even with just paint, you can emphasize the low lean lines yet break up the length with a change in paint color. It cuts the length of the house in a good proportion. The bright door is a classic modern touch.

The arch above the window and the oval in the door should be de-emphasized if possible, since they are more traditional touches.

If budget permits, the addition of natural wood instead of one of the painted colors, would be attractive.

The existing porch, railings and steps are functional, and should be painted the same color as the house, using concrete or metal paint as appropriate. At some point, a covering over the porch, following the roofline, would be attractive. Often these modern homes have a narrow pergola across doorway and extending along the house. See the pictures above.

Beautiful home, just needs to pull together one look. I see it as modern because more traditional homes usually have a different roof line - and that's expensive to change.