Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Barn Doors - Yes or No?

Emily H
9年前
Barn doors seem to be all the rage. How do you feel about them? Do you love them or will you take a pass?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Master Bath · 詳細
No, Thanks.
Other - Tell us below!

コメント (212)

• summitsittin
    9年前
    We're building a batten board and stone farmhouse in Chester County PA and worked hard to incorporate barn doors into our design. Love them.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    9年前
    If you have the space for them, go !
  • reginakt
    9年前
    I like the look of them, but they don't seem really practical - there's always a gap and cannot be locked. I think I prefer the old fashioned pocket door.
  • PRO
    StainlessDoorHardware
    9年前
    Modern Barn Door hardware is a great way to add a little wow factor to almost any opening. Check out German made barn door hardware for an awesome price.

http://www.stainlessdoorhardware.com/modern-barn-door-hardware/
  • chrisspencer
    9年前
    I like them to but they are very trending and overdone.
  • Syia669
    9年前
    I actually would love to have one of this if I run into renovation in future.
  • summitsittin
    9年前

My family and I are hoping to move into our new house in the next two weeks. The home is on a dairy farm in rural Chester County PA, so we believe the rustic wood elements are appropriate.

We have not painted yet, obviously.

The doors were made from wood floors in the springhouse of my wife's family farm. My wife and I, along with her father and brother disassembled the springhouse by hand several years ago and stored all of the boards and beams for future reclamation. The farm was established in 1763 and this springhouse, which had a living/working quarters upstairs was built shortly thereafter, before 1800.

One of the beams, the one used for the mantle, is American chestnut which was all but eliminated from existence because of blight in the early 1900's -so it is very special to us.

The hangers and tracks are from an old carriage house in Philadelphia which was carefully disassembled so that the parts could be re-purposed and given new life as has been accomplished here.

• PRO
    American Barn and Wood
    9年前

Love barn doors. Great piece of history that doesn't take up much room. Can function as practical or decorative.

• Lorraine Skoglund
    8年前

Love em but WAY too over used. A trend that has reached it's half life.

• User
    8年前
    I love them, husband hates them. This is one where I compromised. He gives in on lots of stuff too!
  • PRO
    The Sliding Door Company
    8年前

Our clients have been raving about our barn doors, they are great for creating a WOW factor!

Barn Doors · 詳細

Barn Doors · 詳細

Barn Doors · 詳細

• 2012cvo
    8年前

We are in the process of building a rustic theme barn style home (80% complete) and have received many positive comments on our custom barn doors

• PRO
    Dogberry Collections
    8年前

Latitude Barn Door by Dogberry Collections · 詳細

Lowest price. Highest quality. Best value.

Many of our barn door products are available right here on Houzz. Email us at customerservice@dogberrycollections.com with any questions

• cchan0126
    8年前
    L,,kewkiuklluo
    Ok
    Uo
  • PRO
    Architectural Antiques
    8年前

So many nice things about a barn door. It saves space. It's easy to install. It's charming and it's on trend!

• PRO
    Lunada Consulting & Design, Inc.
    8年前

Absolutely love barn doors! The hardware & door materials are endless. Plus they become almost artwork on the walls of the interior space!

• User
    8年前

I love mine, we used them to make my small house wheelchair accessible.

• Bev
    8年前

I would love to have one in the basement to close off an old coal shoot room.

• PRO
    Father N SUN
    8年前

My time...used to feed that coal furnace, take the clinkers out for driveway aggregate, and later, on Natty Gas conversion, the coalroom (Paint it Black) became my bedroom escape "UP through the chute"...We lived in an old BARN!!!!!!

• Terry Williams
    7年前

I am using the idea of a barn door instead of a traditional hinged door to separate the master bedroom from the new master bath. I hate the idea of open bathrooms and to save space a barn door was the perfect alternative. Our new bathroom is a cross over of modern and traditional and will be white and light grey. So we want the door to be white and the hardware to be stainless steel, and maybe kind of funky. Or a little shabby chic. And that's been popular forever! So who really knows how long this will be around. But if you love the look there are a lot of ways to change them to coincide with new trends. Our contractor pouted when I told him I loved pocket doors, so this was the best alternative. A happy contractor is worth their weight in gold!

• 1945shadow
    7年前
    Having worked on a dairy farm, I think they are ugly and intrusive in a home.
  • PRO
    Mega Builders
    7年前

It really depends on the decor..

• PRO
    Modus Enterprises Ltd
    7年前

Was always apprehensive about using them due to gaps. Any good solution/ product that takes care of gaps?

• lindaart
    7年前

I know this sounds crazy, but I put velcro 'buttons' between the doors and they now stay in place.

• PRO
    Post Frame Accessories
    7年前

@Modus Enterprises - depending on the reasoning behind the desire to remove the gaps, a simple garage door type seal would work. It conceals the gap, but is flexible to allow the door to open/close without any noticeable rubbing. Otherwise, the gap shouldn't be much of an issue. The door panel itself should overlap the opening by at least 2" on each side, so any concern about "peeking through" is removed. Covering the gap really should only be needed for weathersealing or reducing light transmittance.

@lindaart - that is a creative solution! Did you use them to keep 2 doors together in the middle or was that to keep them from swaying in/away from the wall?

• lindaart
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

Post Frame Accessories: Thanks! I used just three little buttons, placed high on the edge between the doors separating my studio from the house. Our two little dogs discovered that with a little nudge, they could rock the doors a bit, get their noses into the resulting crack, and push the doors aside. Devils! The buttons were just enough to stop them.

• PRO
    Post Frame Accessories
    7年前

Oh my! that would be troublesome! If you find you need additional holding power, a simple hook & eye latch may be just what you need since it has a low profile and screws into the doors.

• lindaart
    7年前

For safety's sake, I find that troublesome - this way, the doors can easily be opened from either side - by a human!

• Laya Ellington
    7年前

Late coming to this discussion, but I think barn doors are so ugly, not to mention impractical. Unless you live in a farm house, where they could be very cute, they just seem trendy and painfully hipster.

• Norah Mahon
    7年前

We will be installing barn doors to cover under counter washer/dryer area which will be located just outside kitchen when we do remodel next month

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    7年前

I love them. Here is a barn door on a walk-in pantry for a kitchen we did last year.

Shiloh Cabinetry: Modern Country Kitchen - Xenia, OH · 詳細

• PRO
    it'sALLart
    6年前

Sorry, not a fan. I like the clean look of a regular door or a pocket door. The barn door craze has far too much visible hardware that gets dirty and isn't easy to clean. I think this fad is going to go the way of the shower tile horizontal stripe.

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    6年前

This poll was posted over 3 years ago, and barn doors are still going strong! I see them sticking around for quite a bit longer!

• PRO
    Michael Kieley Design Studio
    6年前

For very occasional use, especially where a pocket door is difficult to install, I use them. But, as a design accent, I think they are a passing fad, that will look out of date in ten to fifteen years.

• PRO
    it'sALLart
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

Gerety Building and Restoration writes: "This poll was posted over 3 years ago, and barn doors are still going strong! I see them sticking around for quite a bit longer"

Trends usually happen in decade-long or so peaks from what I can tell. The "dark floor trend" is nearing it's end and it started in 2006 or so, peaking in about 2011. Now the new trend is light floors and this will last about 10 years, this is coming out of Europe and is very strong there. Super-light-tone flooring was difficult to find in 2011 (or very expensive), now it's available through every distributor.

Light woods (paneling, flooring, kitchens) were hot in 1973 and lasted until about 1987 or so. Then things went medium and "all things cherry" for a decade or so and then very dark. Espresso furniture tones became hot, IMO, because of the Starbucks coffee craze in the west which spread like wildfire to the east.

I wonder if it will eventually all blend together and eclecticism will take over?

What I also wonder is this: If you have space for a barn door, why not simply use a pocket door? Less hardware showing, better fit to the door frame and you still get a wall to use for art if you want it. The barn door precludes having any decor - except the barn door! Not something I'd like to stare at, personally. I have not seen barn-door-as-painting yet, but I bet it's out there in some horrible form somewhere... Cheers!

• PRO
    darwinIam
    6年前

Design of doors, basically the same, hardware, panels and height vary with design of home as a given. Pocket doors/standard interior doors better on bedroom/bath areas

• chugachuga
    6年前

It's called a barn door. Leave it in the barn and install a pocket door.

• Theresa Dewey
    6年前

Loved them at first but they are getting really over done. Not the right choice for most design applications. Pocket doors are better.

• mharon
    6年前

We are very happy with our decision to enclose laundry area with barn doors.

• PRO
    it'sALLart
    6年前

Classiest barn doors I've ever seen, mharon!

• Bruce Crawford
    6年前

I like barn doors if the wall space accommodates. I am no fan of pocket doors. We had one in house we bought separating vanity from toilet & shower. Cursed thing would not stay on its track. When we did major add'n in '83-'84, I had it replaced w/ hinged door. Barn doors weren't popular then, but if they had been, the wall space wouldn't have permitted one. When we reno'd that bath earlier this year, I widened door from 24" to 28", as we're seniors & I wanted access if walking appliances req'd. That wall definitely wouldn't accommodate a 28" pocket door.

• PRO
    New York Hardware
    6年前

Barn door are more popular now than ever. Many styles of doors, track, rollers, and attractive pulls. info@nyhardware.com

• PRO
    CV & Associates, LLC
    5年前

Love them! We even went with nautical-but-nice color scheme for a Mexico beach get-away. (Check out our design blog post on this very subject HERE)

• PRO
    darwinIam
    5年前

Good dry wood and adequate hardware are most important

• ashmcbash
    5年前
    I like them, but a bathroom seems a less practical place for them. Like pocket doors, I would want them to be at an opening to a room where I plan to leave them open most of the time, but want to have the option of closing and don’t expect full sound privacy. I also want them in a place of high visibility to warrant the expense. Game rooms, home offices, TV rooms, pantries seem to be a good place for them.
  • Jeff Smith
    5年前

We went for contemporary, minimalist look. Had to have special hardware because largest one was about 300 lbs. Doors are "solid" clear Douglas Fir, Artisan Hardware with extra runner wheels on top to hold extra weight, and lag-screwed into studs.

• felizlady
    5年前
    I like them almost anywhere but a bathroom. They don’t generally fit tight against the door frame and don’t give privacy to the person in the bathroom. The only way you can have privacy is to make the door significantly wider than the door opening.
  • maggierateye
    5年前

I was keen on having a barn door between kitchen and befroom, but the kitchen layout changed, and there's no longer room on the wall to slide open. I'm fine with that. I guess I must be over barn doors.

• Gay Chiappetta
    昨年

I think they're hideous and will show up on one of those 'outdated trend' list very soon.