Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

Industrial look. Yes or no?

Are you a fan of the industrial style?

Vote and tell us below! If you live in an industrial styled space, post a photo of it!

Midtown Loft · 詳細
YES - I love the look.
NO - It's not comfy enough.

コメント (138)

• joannpb
    10年前
    Resident cat = automatic cozy!
  • judithahall
    10年前
    I like to "look" at pictures of "industrialized spaces" in homes, but I would never want them in my home. I find them are too impersonal, no matter how hard one tries to personalize them. I feel like I'm in a hollowed out warehouse in one of these spaces. I like the feeling of "home"; a space where people can gather intimately whether in the kitchen, great room or living room. I like the sound of conversation and laughing from another room and not hearing an echo along with it. I like to prepare a meal for friends and serve it family style in my kitchen or more formally in my dining room. In either space, we are gathered around a table in a soft space that makes one immediately feel right at home. I've only been in two industrial type homes and I've never felt anything like I described. I've felt exposed and cold.
  • parisgirl1970
    10年前
    If you've ever touched or leaned against an indoor exposed brick wall, it's freezing! (Unless it has direct sun light on it, and that's only in the a.m.) Stick around and you'll see an uninvited spiders come crawling out. I've had my 'entrance hall' -brick wall, patched, recemented, fumigated and painted and there's always that pesky little spider that wants to come back. Not saying you can't incorporate some of these industrial ideas into your own home, but the ones posted here end up just looking 'modern'. The large industrial living spaces here, appear to be like that of a 'car show room floor' to me. The floors alone would freeze my poor feet. Nope- not for me.
  • leloza
    10年前
    It looks great and feels open, easy to maintain- Great for bachelors.
  • Denice Tarsi
    10年前
    LOVE the loft combination of brick & industrial metals. Not a big fan of the severity of the retro chairs - they lack a balance of comfort to industrial edginess.
  • tdrotar
    10年前
    Ick! The brick wall is nice, but the rest needs to be humanized.
  • PRO
    Morgann Paull
    10年前
    For me it depends on the view. Had one that served as an office and 2nd residence. Really nice at night overlooking the city lights, verses my residence in the burbs.
  • PRO
    kellydesigns
    10年前
    We love the look but it needs to be done right..it can often be too cold and stark. I think that Restoration does well .It is a look everyone seems to want to copy, but do not always get right!
  • gottafly
    10年前
    In theory I like it. The problem is that it is frequently done so that it looks cold and uninviting.
  • PRO
    Mary Scott, Planning and Design
    10年前
    I like the juxtaposition of the two wingbacks. The space feels fresh open and filled with timeless, good design. The b/w striped rug is great.
  • joannpb
    10年前
    One might keep in mind that "industrial" need not be limited to the present century. I'm thinking, especially of a lovely loft space that was furnished with many leftovers from an old shoe factory. Aged wooden pieces with the patina of a hundred years of touch by human hands. That kind of warmth is hard to find.
  • PRO
    Galilee Lighting
    10年前
    最終更新:10年前
    The industrial look is interesting and young, but I think it belongs to artists studios, offices or other commercial spaces. when it comes to a residential space, I would prefer to see it more cozy, warm, elegant and neat, somehow it feels more inviting.
    and even in commercial spaces it has to be done properly, I recently went to a restaurant with an industrial look that made me feel like I have to be careful because the place felt as if it is still under construction...
  • J Petempich
    10年前
    最終更新:10年前
    I like it, but then again I am the one that is always trying to get people who have red brick wall fireplaces to go for an industrial look but haven't seen anyone do it yet. I love the utilitarian dejunked look and I am also a big fan of the CNN news room. I am hoping red brick will come back as the timeless material that has been used in the last 1,000+ yrs. Works well with dogs so I definitely like it.
  • pinkfisher
    10年前
    I like it but it reminds me of a work environment and when I go home, I don't want to be reminded of work, I look for something light, soft and comfortable and industrial is what it says it is. Having said that, I can appreciate the design aspect and 'home' is very individual.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    10年前
    I like it but not so comfy looking after a long day at the office.
  • PRO
    Via Design llc
    10年前
    Not meaning to be negative about this space – I love most everything. I would just add a bit more softness and acoustic enhancing touches, such as a wall textile. Also, another 'anchor' piece to simplify and give the eye a place to rest. It's a beautiful space which embraces the industrial style!
  • jazzijan
    10年前
    I have seen industrial-look pieces used well by good designers, but in general I don't find it as visually appealing and beautiful as I like for my home.
  • PRO
    H2 View
    10年前
    I think the brick, concrete, clean lines and all make this look very industrial. A hard look to pull off sometimes
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    10年前
    Love the look, but only if you have the money to redo it in just a few years when the look goes out!
  • PRO
    10年前
    Most of my furniture was designed 60 years ago and it looks as good today as it did when it was designed. If you choose well, and don't just follow trends then you can make minor adjustments without throwing everything out and starting all over. A Corbusier Lounge Chair, looks more beautiful each time I see it and it was designed in the 20's.
  • deltadesigner
    10年前
    Where is the "it depends" answer. For me, it is all in the execution of the design and decorating. I don't like this space but there are some that I have liked.
  • PRO
    User
    10年前
    ABSOLUTELY YES!! We love incorporating this look into any setting!! Residential or Commercial!! Here's a peak at what we can do for you!!
  • Erin Blalock
    10年前
    I love it! The only thing I would say that would not work for me, would be the exposed kitchen shelves. I would never have my dishes out for everything in the air to touch. I like the example in the video of Ryan0751's kitchen with the enclosed modern cabinets.
  • sunnyncloudy
    10年前
    I like the industrial style. In the kitchen and study rooms I'd definitly prefer. Also, if I'd have more than one living room, I'd decorate one of them pure industrial and welcome my friends there.
    I also like combining styles. Modern-Roustic, Retro-contemporary with the right dosages.
    With this respect if I'd had one room to decorate, I'd choose combine industrial with another styl.
    For example, in a cosy eclectic room there can be industrial chairs, fixtures and a coffe table. The balance shall be kept by matching more than 2 things.
  • Matt Christensen
    10年前
    I love it. But I also love, modern and contemporary and rustic. Seeing the different rooms on Houzz makes me appreciate style and decorating and construction even more.
  • Barb
    10年前
    Mizell & Moore I agree with you. It's getting the mix right that is the clue to industrial chic and high ceilings add to the feel.
  • Susan
    10年前
    I love the space in the photo, but I would decorate it differently for a warmer, more comfortable feeling. I like my house to look like a big, warm hug that invites people in. I do love the loft look, but with comfortable décor.
  • Kori Ratzlaff
    10年前
    Where did you get the white marble coffee table?
  • maarivekki
    10年前
    i simply love industrial style, I don't think it feels cold at all! But I do think it should not be created from scratch - that feels cold - but rather re-use re-purpose restore some existing feature in the house.
    Color and accompanying materials do much to "warm" the feel.
  • Ron
    10年前
    I love the look. I grew up in the inner city and explored the deserted, dilapidated, factories as a kid. Always wanted to do this but my home is in a developement just within city limits and the neighborhood was that built for city shipworkers (amazing considering it's as far away from the river you could get and still be in the city) and planned as an English cottage neighborhood repleat with winding sidewalks and gardens (Union Park Gardens, Wilmington, Delaware) and I think it might be out of character. Maybe I'll do it on my retirement home. I love it.
  • Rebecca Lloyd
    10年前
    I love industrial because it offers a casual I don't care look although it is the coolest look around. I've been looking for a place to work and live that is warehouse-eque I just haven't found one close enough to the beach for my liking. I have a strict 6 blocks radius to get the dog to the beach in the mornings, I wouldn't mind a coffee shop in the same radius either, yum!
  • PRO
    User
    10年前
    Yes honesty is a huge part of the appeal and exactly what today's generation wants.
    Roughly 1/2 of our clients are 20 and 30 somethings.
    Honest design with no wasted steps is what their after.
  • PRO
    Basin Custom
    10年前
    We love the industrial style so much! In fact that's where a lot of our design inspiration comes from!
  • jmardkha
    10年前
    I
  • PRO
    Hummingbird Designs
    10年前
    It's not my cup of tea ... Sorry
  • PRO
    Le Loft Interior Decoration
    9年前
    最終更新:9年前
    Industrial is cool. Bricks, concrete, metal, reclaimed wood are trendy. Just look at loft, bar and restaurant designs in gentrified areas of any town in the world. But it needs true products and artifacts, not replicas to bring real patina and history to it. Plus, US history is Industrial, take advantage of it!
  • PRO
    9年前
    There are many reasons the industrial "look" (which is more than a look) is a good thing. It usually comes from "infill" meaning repurposing once abandoned industrial commercial spaces. It is sustainable because no new building was required. It usually serves to bring back a community to the center of town or creates new meeting spaces. Whether they are creative spaces, or retail spaces they have an authenticity that can't be replicated. It allows designers to use new materials mixed with old materials and the synergy of the two usually result in a very positive feeling. I often think what the designers did with Castello Sfzorsco in Milan. They left the ancient, tattered walls and imposed new materials and modern aesthetics and it was stunning. So my vote if yes to the industrial look.
  • bungalowmo
    9年前
    Love the look, but the photo shown isn't the best rendition of this style I've seen.
  • PRO
    Coastal Decks
    9年前
    Love the look but not warm enough for my taste
  • joannpb
    9年前
    Industrial tends to blend beautifully with primitive.
  • PRO
    Basin Custom
    9年前

We are a custom furniture company specializing in industrial design. Check out our Houzz Portfolio here.

Barstools · 詳細

• PRO
    Chic Watts
    9年前

We are huge fans, and launched an industrial lighting company last July,

Large round industrial chandelier · 詳細

Industrial chandelier- Rustic Lighting · 詳細

Industrial Chandelier : 8 light drop · 詳細

Long Industrial Chandelier Lighting · 詳細

• PRO
    User
    9年前

We LOVE how the industrial look can be incorporated into almost any decor!
    We build from reclaimed salvaged rescued and found material from yesteryear including the industrial age! Here's some photos sent to us from our clients both residential and commercial. We are reworx and would love to make your vision a reality! Check out our houzz profile: http://www.houzz.com/pro/reworxct/__public

• cheriealford
    9年前
    I love the look but not for me. I have ventured into the industrial look decorating territory and then change my mind.

If I were single and had a loft condo, I think I could do it.
  • tdrotar
    7年前
    yech!
  • PRO
  • PRO
  • RedDogsCrafts
    5年前

YES!! But we're biased as we love to build industrial styled stuff ;)

https://www.etsy.com/shop/RedDogsCrafts

• J Williams
    5年前

a lot of the times this style is just ripped off from artists who repurposed things found in urban areas due to necessity/utility, some of the replicas I’ve seen for sale were things we used to find in back laneways and on abandoned industrial sites, people who coveted the look were basically a major force that caused artists to lose working spaces, then the new owners would go to the Brick to furnish their condo with faux “loft” decor

• PRO
    Andrea dionisio
    4年前

yesssssssssssssss