Houzz Logo Print
hilary1l

Backsplash Help

scatterbox
10年前
Need help on backsplash. Granite Color - Golden Lightening - picture attached. My style - contemporary/transitional (the house has some contemporary, some transitional) - not boring, not too busy - let the beauty of the material speak for itself.

コメント (53)

• PRO
    Menage Interiors
    10年前
    Beautiful stone! Agreed keep it simple and don't take anything away from the granite!
  • Samantha L
    10年前
    That's beautiful! Maybe a blue or green complement in the same family?
  • bubblyjock
    10年前
    最終更新:10年前
    How about throwing the contractor into a tailspin and ask for mirror tiles?
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/8-mirror-types-for-a-fantastic-kitchen-backsplash-stsetivw-vs~11283447
    and my favourite is:
    JacksonBuilt Custom Homes · 詳細
  • Lynnie
    10年前
    Both color and style are stunning. This is what I would love on my kitchen. I am drawn to golds, greens and aqua too.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10年前
    That is just a FABULOUS choice of granite! I would keep the backsplash simple and quiet to let the granite stand out. You could go white, but I actually think that will create too much contrast with the stone. I think gray is used, used, used, but in your case I think a very pale gray or gray/green tile could be a very nice choice because it will quietly pull those colors out of the granite. I found this photo, which is nice, but I would suggest a matching grout to keep the backsplash even more quiet.
    Chalet kitchen · 詳細

Ordinarily I don't like granite used as a backsplash, but I think with this stunning choice it might look good to use it behind the range. It would be nice to see it on the horizontal and then on the vertical. If you don't like the idea of just stone, you could picture frame it with tile.
    The Woodshop of Avon · 詳細

Whether you go with gray or white tile, you could also add a subtle listello tile into the pattern.
    Ballard Farmhouse · 詳細

Of course, subway tile is everywhere, and it would look lovely in your kitchen and lend itself to the very subtle Arts&Crafts/transitional look you have going. Another idea would be to just use pattern on pattern (i.e. two or three different sizes/orientations of tile but in the same glaze) to get an even more subtle look.
    Rustic Modern · 詳細

Don't dismiss other patterns out of hand. While I think this particular tile in this photo is much too curvey for your cabinets, a more simple arabesque pattern or something similar. I suggest this tile quite often - Sonoma Artisan - because you can pick your glaze colors and the percentage for each, and you can mix shiny, matte and crackle in VERY subtle color mixes (the Rhomboid tile is especially nice in a mix). This is a more handmade look, however, so you would have to like that over a more rectified tile. Their website does not do this tile justice AT ALL (the colors do not show up well) so I would urge you to find a showroom if you think it might work for you. Lots of subtle color, lots of pattern options.
    http://www.sonomatilemakers.com/brochures/STM_1.pdf
    scatterboxさんはKathryn Peltier Designさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10年前
    www.fireclaytile.com has some beautiful tiles which you might like.

Here is a solid backsplash with some deco tiles installed. This could work, too.
    http://www.fireclaytile.com/img/gallery/FireclayTile-Install-Debris%20Series,%20Kelp,%20Kitchen-4.jpg

This green tile might even work for you
    http://www.fireclaytile.com/images/made/img/gallery/Vitrail_FireclayTile_KitchenNorberry_Main_800_533.jpg
    scatterboxさんはKathryn Peltier Designさんにお礼を言いました
  • mcbriec
    10年前
    Gorgeous granite. I think a pale aqua blue/green crackle tile would be stunning.
  • mermaide
    10年前
    Glass tiles? Maybe a sea foam green
  • Coco
    10年前
    What about a dark wood panel? Nothing too busy, just something nice and sleek so it doesn't give your kitchen a rustic look.
  • Darzy
    10年前
    I can't believe I'm even suggesting this! The granite is stunning and almost any backsplash will compete. How about doing the granite counter with the same granite 4" backsplash and behind the stove? (Not normally a fan of small backsplash). That way you can paint the walls a beautiful complementary color (blue/aqua, green/yellow or a cream?). This will guarantee your "backsplash" will not go out of style.:) This photo backsplash could possibly be 5"??
    Orinda residence · 詳細
  • regina5697
    10年前
    Perhaps a natural brick backsplash would bring a timeless feel into the room... Not necessarily a traditional terra cotta brick, but a taupe shade. Love your granite choice!
  • regina5697
    10年前
    Your granite is so unique and I couldn't find an inspiration photo I was happy with, but try and picture your countertops in this setting
    http://houzz.com/photos/3427426
  • kehlief
    10年前
    I would agree with Darzy on this one. Only do a large back splash behind the stove and leave the rest relatively untouched. But if you absolutely must, here is an idea that doesn't clash too much
    La Costa · 詳細
  • kehlief
    10年前
    Woodland Residence Kitchen · 詳細
  • kehlief
    10年前
    of course you can't go wrong with classic subway tile
    South Tampa Custom Home · 詳細
    scatterboxさんはkehliefさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    scatterbox
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    I was thinking glass tile that is a little lighter in the green or gray blue, or one of those ceramics that looks like glass. I was also thinking if I can find it in a decent price range a larger tile i.e. 4x12 or even larger,
  • Darzy
    10年前
    This is my second option.....large glass subway....(not this color). The 4 x 12 size...
    Loft Cream Polished 4" X 12" Glass Subway Tiles · 詳細
  • bubblyjock
    10年前
    Trying to match a manmade green tile to the natural greens in the stone might be enough to tip you and the contractor over the edge, and look overworked (like too much dark eye-shadow): I like Darzy's idea of taking some strips of the granite on to the backsplash.
  • indianpatti
    10年前
    What about backpainted glass? You can pick a Sherwin Williams paint color .. there just has to be a few that would match perfectly with the green or the blue of the stone.
  • leelee
    10年前
    Here are some ideas that would compliment your striking granite. You're going to have lots of your granite on counters. Sometimes too much of a good thing is too much. Let the backsplash be different.
  • groveraxle
    10年前
    I would not do the little 4" backsplash. I think it gives any kitchen a choppy look. Indianpatti's backpainted glass would work, or a large format (really large) tile. I also think using one of the greens in the granite might be overpowering, so I would bring home a bazillion neutral samples and try them out. That is one fabulous granite; it needs to be the star.
    Waikiki Chic 2 · 詳細

McDermot Street · 詳細
  • leelee
    10年前
    Here's your granite with the colors above.
  • leelee
    10年前
    I sort of like the citron tiles above. They have a contrast to all the blue/aqua/green so your granite would stand our and not just become part of the B/S.
    You're going to need to bring samples home after granite is installed.
  • sunnydrew
    10年前
    The large glass tiles, 4 x 12 would be spectacular in green as shown above by groveraxle. The green has the dramatic punch while the pale blue is the more quiet, serene choice. Either of those would be absolutely beautiful with your granite. Rather than the staggered "subway" pattern, try having the tile installed in a stacked pattern like the green tile above. (have the grout match as exactly as possible to the glass color instead of just white or darker). It is cleaner and does not interfere with the granite pattern (which is really not possible to take away from the beauty of it). Please post the pictures when you are done. It will be a truly unique kitchen.
  • PRO
    Emerson Brothers Construction
    10年前
    What about classic subway tiles (flat or beveled). It would create a clean look without being too busy. The granite and the cabinets are beautiful. Good luck!
  • leelee
    10年前
    Consider the wall space. You have the large L shaped opening--the cabinets end on the left of it. Are you going to tile the whole left side of the L ? Where will you stop the tiles if you decide not to go to the ceiling?
  • PRO
    scatterbox
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    I agree with the larger tiles. or backpainted glass. In the stacked, rather than brick style. If anyone has some links to larger tiles. There are some ceramics that look like glass and links to larger glass tile.
  • Ann
    10年前
    It is beautiful and I would never suggest a short backsplash either, but I think Darzy is absolutely right with her first suggestion. The very plain glass tile idea in a perfect light blue green would be my second choice.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10年前
    I love that granite!! But, I would not use it with those cabinets...if you are definitely using it, use a full backsplash that will not compete.
  • indianpatti
    10年前
    Artistic Glass ... "opera glass" tiles are beautiful ... pic does it no justice. It comes in a 4 x 12 format. They have 2 different blues available as well as a beige:

Still voting for the backpainted glass ... in a lovely soft Sherwin Williams green :)
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10年前
    I used clear glass subway tile for a client. When installed, it turns a soft watery blue/green. Gorgeous. To get an idea of what I am suggesting, pick up a tile and turn it so you are looking at the edge. That is what happens to the glass when installed. The clear takes on color.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10年前
    iamjudy, I just came back on here to suggest a similar approach! I have clear glass backsplashes in my own kitchen (one piece, not tiles) and people have always asked what color the paint underneath them is - it's white. As iamjudy says, it comes off as just a hint of lovely green because of the green in the glass. I am not absolutely sure about this, but I think it would work, if you want to go with large pieces: they could possibly be installed using a Schlutter edge http://www.schluter.com/139.aspx (probably not the best link but I'm in kiind of a hurry...)

One more word of caution: your cabinets are quite traditional. To go with a more modern backsplash (i.e. glass tile) would look beautiful with them, but here is the caution: if you go TOO modern with both the material and the installation (i.e. pattern) I think there is going to be too much disconnect. A very large format glass tile stacked looks fantastic in the McDermot kitchen (groveraxle's post) but it is with very modern cabinets. I just don't think that will look right with your cabinets; I am afraid it might come off looking "cartoonish", for lack of a better word. A simple rule of thumb: for an eclectic look, use modern materials in traditional ways, or use traditional materials in modern ways. Of course, rules are always meant to be broken, and it depends to some degree on the style of the rest of the house, but I just wanted to give you some food for thought!
  • Sam Dewick
    10年前
    it would be kind of interesting to see this as the backsplash but it might not be your style
  • groveraxle
    10年前
    This company produces large format glass tiles. This link takes you to colors of their product line called Glass Hues: http://www.interstyle.ca/products/glasshues/glasshues-colors.html
  • groveraxle
    10年前
    And this company does backpainted glass tiles using Starphire (low iron) glass. Probably pricey, but I'm guessing less expensive than single piece backpainted glass: http://www.dreamwallscolorglass.com/gallery.html
  • mpoulsom
    10年前
    That granite is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would do the backsplash the brown of the veins running through your counter material...It looks like it's brown on my computer anyway. Either with paint or actual stained wood.
    The granite needs to be the art in your kitchen....no competition, but I don't think I would like white as a backsplssh personally in this particular case.
  • care1965
    10年前
    care/ i would do a bronzy metallic like the narrow veining! modern and stunning!
  • Ann
    10年前
    Ahhhh, these last two suggestions are interesting!
  • Darzy
    10年前
    iamjudy's "clear" glass suggestion sounds like the perfect solution! judy...what size do you recommend?
  • feeny
    10年前
    I think most people commenting agree that the granite needs to be the star in this kitchen. The only question is how to achieve that goal. I am not convinced that going with a colored tile backsplash, however subtle or minimalist, will keep the focus on the granite. So my instinct is either to pursue Darzy's solution (short backsplash in the same granite with simple white or colored wall behind and above it), or a back-painted glass backsplash (either solid or in tiles) with paint the same color as your cabinetry, or a ceramic tile backsplash in the same white as your cabinets with grout that matches the tiles. Basically, I want the backsplash to disappear so the granite is all that we look at.
  • mpoulsom
    10年前
    examples of wood backsplashes........of course if you wanted to do a wood grain that is a little more complicated than these examples you could. but I love all the color being on the actual countertop in your kitchen rather than in the backsplash.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10年前
    I would put glass tiles use the green in granite. Beautiful granite.
  • srgerova
    10年前
    I think a backsplash that is easy to clean without grout is always the way to go. We used a hammered Copper tin backsplash that matched our cork floor. What color will your floor be?
    There are hundreds of styles of tin backsplashes in many different colors. Easy to install, easy to clean, and inexpensive compared to tiles! Here is ours.
  • Darzy
    10年前
    There is another consideration I'm thinking. There are quite a few electrical outlets on the backsplash. A color backsplash will accentuate all of them no matter how you try to disguise or blend. So, I'm leaning the clear as iamjudy suggested, or a 5" backsplash.
  • PRO
    Karen Rothen Interior Design
    10年前
    Granite is fabulous! May I suggest a glass subway tile. I would stay away from a color and stick with a clear glass that would reflect the granite.

Karen Rothen
    Karen Rothen Interior Design
  • fos5
    10年前
    The granite is beautiful. Would stick to a blue/green that is in the granite for continuity, something that compliments the granite and does NOT compete with it. Can't wait to see the finished kitchen.
  • scatterboxさんはLynnieさんにお礼を言いました
  • dclostboy
    10年前
    These are from modwalls.com...not sure if I like bamboo or lemongrass better
    scatterboxさんはdclostboyさんにお礼を言いました
  • meggielh
    10年前
    Paint
  • shastacat
    10年前
    Your granite is a stunner, so let it be the star. How do yo feel about a simple dove grey looong subway tile, OR muted metallic, simple pattern tile. Under mounted cabinet lighting would be beautiful.