Houzz Logo Print
webuser_113411

3x6 or 2x8 gray subway for kitchen

I think I have found my dream tile, finally! It's a Mexican handpainted tile. Hoping to get it ordered today. I am just stuck on the size. I was sure I was doing 3x6 subway however the sample board I picked up at the store has 2x8 subway tiles which I think I really like too!
My kitchen is all white with Caesarstone Misty Carrera counters with traditional beaded inset cabinets and stainless steel appliances.

Thank you!!

コメント (37)

• PRO
    Rinehart Custom Homes
    10年前
    Beautiful Kitchen!! I like your tile choice-- either would be fine. I think that the 2x 8 have more of a brick look than a subway tile though. Can you post pics when it is completed? I would love to see the after!
    Iliana Georgopoulou NunnさんはRinehart Custom Homesさんにお礼を言いました
  • Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Thanks! I will definitely post more pictures when it's all completed!
  • PRO
    Maguire
    10年前
    Pretty kitchen! 2 x 8" is my vote. Great color.
    Iliana Georgopoulou NunnさんはMaguireさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    markdesign, llc
    10年前
    I agree with Maguire, 2" x 8"
    Iliana Georgopoulou Nunnさんはmarkdesign, llcさんにお礼を言いました
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Thank you both! What is the reason for picking the 2x8?
  • PRO
    markdesign, llc
    10年前
    More interesting and makes the space look larger in my opinion.
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Perfect as that's what I am trying to do. It's not the biggest of kitchens so anything that makes it look larger is great!
  • PRO
    Maguire
    10年前
    Yes, I agree with markdesign, more interesting, more linear, makes the space look larger.
    Such a pretty kitchen. I know I've said that already, but every detail, the nice window, cabinet hardware, lighting, I love what you've done. Are you thinking of replacing the floor? I noticed flooring samples in front of the bookcase.
  • PRO
    Blue Desert Interiors
    10年前
    I would choose the 2x8 also. I think your backsplash space is not that large. Therefore, it's better to be bolder so your design is clearer. It also makes a better contrast with the vertical aspect of the cabinet design. I can't see the whole window frame in your pictures, which tells me that you might not have thought about the window area. I would most definitely put the tile in there. Where to stop and start would still have to be decided on. Be very careful on how the tile wraps the corner as well. That's the diiference between an average and a great tile job.
    Iliana Georgopoulou NunnさんはBlue Desert Interiorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • feeny
    10年前
    Beautiful tile. Go with exactly the one you have in the sample.
    Iliana Georgopoulou Nunnさんはfeenyさんにお礼を言いました
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Thanks so much!! 2x8 it is!
    Maguire, we installed brand new wood effect tile, and even though it's SO practical I miss real hardwood. The sample on the floor is the flooring for our basement (earthwerks rapidclic) and I was toying with the idea of laying it on top because it's so thin. We decided against that and will just live with the tile for a while, and if we really hate it in a a year we might just rip it up and put hardwood. Which is crazy as the tile was expensive. Including the installation probably over $5,000
    Ugh you live and you learn. The color of the tile looks redder than the sample we saw for some reason.
  • PRO
    Maguire
    10年前
    I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with the wood look tile. It's beautiful, a rich, clean look. Good thought to live with it for awhile. Thanks for sharing your pretty kitchen with us. Best.
  • PRO
    markdesign, llc
    10年前
    yep, she did a good job!
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Thanks so much, it was tricky as I had to pick everything out before taking the kids across the world to stay with my parents while the whole house reno was going on! Drove me crazy but there is no way we could have lived in a building site for 3 months. SO hard picking everything in advance but I am happy with mostly everything :) Thank you for your help and kind comments!
  • lfenza
    10年前
    Your kitchen is beautiful. I love your floor.
    Iliana Georgopoulou Nunnさんはlfenzaさんにお礼を言いました
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Thanks so much!
  • clynch10
    10年前
    2x8! Can you tell me what brand and color? I am looking for something similar bit even larger format
    Iliana Georgopoulou Nunnさんはclynch10さんにお礼を言いました
  • dclostboy
    10年前
    The longer thinner 2x8 also echoes your shaker style cabinets...good choice
    Iliana Georgopoulou Nunnさんはdclostboyさんにお礼を言いました
  • catherinek708
    10年前
    LOVELY! Every detail is is both timely and timeless! Looks like you have a microwave drawer. Yes? How do you like it so far?
  • jcollins84
    8年前

Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn, I love that tile! Can you please tell me the brand/name/colour? Do you have a picture of the completed backsplash? Beautiful kitchen!

• User
    8年前

Hi I am also having the same dilemma! Wow my kitchen has similar style and I am also trying to decide between a 3x6 or 2x8 tile that is also hand made and dove grey! I'm really confused! Any help would be great . I have posted pics of the 2x8. There is also one of the 3x6 but unfortunately I only have one. My kitchen is very long so not sure if 3x6 is better. Many thanks!

• Barbara Almandarz
    8年前

It's a matter of your preference, but I like the 3 x 6 size and the lighter gray. Good luck!

• User
    8年前
    Thank you.
  • Lisa Tintner
    3年前

@Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn can you tell me the color and brand of this tile! I need this for my ktichen..

• PRO
    markdesign, llc
    3年前

@Lisa Tintner - Hi - this post is 7 years old so this same exact tile might not be available any longer. If you don't get a response back, tell me what city you live in and maybe I can recommend a few places to look. Good luck!

• Lisa Tintner
    3年前

@markdesign, llc I know. I saw it was old so I was just taking a chance. I am trying to pick a subway back splash either 3x6 2x8 or 3x12 And originally I was going to do this first one which was small subway tiles but I fear it will be too busy and drive me crazy

my contractor is coming Monday to finish my Backsplash sadly I have had a horrible time over the last three months with my remodel (first contractor did some bad work) and luckily a friend who is a contravote is coming to help me out so I have to make a decision quickly and find a product because he only has Monday and Tuesday to do it

The second grouping of 3 x 12 subway tile is what I’ve been able to find in stock and I like the one on the left it’s a Glossy wavy texture. I’m a little Nervous about the size and wavy texture. I know that Home Depot has a 3 x 6 and weathered gray by Jeffrey Court and I was thinking of going to try that one but I really do like this color because it matches my veins I also am trying to determine do I get a grout that matches Which is what they had on display and is the last picture here or do I get a little bit lighter gray or closer white or do I go the opposite and get a darker gray to match the darker veins in my countertop since my house is all gray and white I’m wondering if I should go for darker dimension

curious your thoughts??

• PRO
    markdesign, llc
    3年前

Always sorry to hear about someone having a bad experience. I'd go with a light grey but not too dark. That's the best choice if you are concerned about something being too busy.

• Lisa Tintner
    3年前

@markdesign, llc yes I’m going with this light grey one. Do you think 3x12 or 3x6 would be better given I have a smaller place ? Also I was just making coffee trying to determine do I do light grey almost white grout? Or do I go darker to pick up the darker veins??

you know what made this experience so bad is my moms cancer came back and I begged him to just finish and he never got anything done and when he did - it had to be redone anyway. Which prevents me from Seeing my mother when time is limited. Anyway. Thanks for Any insight you have. Here is a close up

• PRO
    markdesign, llc
    3年前

3 x 12 is a more updated look and I'd go with a light grey also.

• RedRyder
    3年前

3x12 will look great. I’m so sorry about your mom.

• Lisa Tintner
    3年前

@markdesign, llc @RedRyder thank you both for your response. So sorry to Get so specific but I already have the grout that is in this picture should I go a little lighter or keep it consistent so that it matches the tile I bought this grout that they had with the display - thus display is herringbone but I was gonna do the brick laid standard subway pattern. Thank you both for the kind words about my Mom

• Lisa Tintner
    3年前

This is the shinier tile tho and wavy that I got

• Lisa Tintner
    3年前

@markdesign, llc @RedRyder

For fun i wanted to share my before and afters I did this design stuff myself I normally am good with decisions but this backsplash was so overwhelming

• Lisa Tintner
    3年前

@markdesign, llc @RedRyder my grout options What do you think?, what would you pick?

• PRO
    markdesign, llc
    3年前

949 Silverado

• RedRyder
    3年前

“I love what you’ve done with the place! ”. Listen, most of us get paralyzed around backsplash decisions. It a common question on Houzz for a reason. I’m not a grout expert, but a light silver sounds right to me. Beth can probably tell you the exact right color.
    I’m able to do a lot of my own design around my house but get stuck with specific decisions too. I did not do the backsplash in my last house for a year after we remodeled 80% of it. I had no more decisions in me. Here, I use a designer to pull my vision together - and choose my grout!