Houzz Logo Print
jlc668

How to improve outside of house?

jlc668
10年前
Purchased house this summer. The previous owner painted it A dark brown. We want to do something to lighten it up. We have talked about painting the door and/or shutters. If so what color. Any other suggestions?

コメント (23)

• PRO
    User
    10年前
    The doors and shutters are light in this photo and I don't feel that is making a strong design statement. If you don't like the dark brown then update it when you can
    jlc668さんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • jlc668
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    jlc668
    The doors and shutters are a creamy white. We can't paint the entire house right now so looking for small stuff we can do
  • jlc668
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Another thought is white columns?
  • robea
    10年前
    you need porch accessories and plants and trim in a pop of color and maybe house a grey or olive
  • oneofeleven
    10年前
    jlc668 is right, columns would make a big difference. How about a stronger colour on the shutters and front door? Dark red or black maybe?
  • porchnights
    10年前
    I like the curb appeal of this house but needs a little boost. The shutters are too weak as is the front door,and the pillars need to be larger and painted the same ( white) as the trim.
  • PRO
    Alford's English Gardens Inc
    10年前
    Highlight the beautiful tree. Remove the ivy and shrub and add some iceberg roses to the planter along with some lavender and statice and other small perennials for a low water garden that is also low maintenance. Add some height to the other planter with some salvias lavenders and breath of heaven to bulk up the bed and attract some of Mother Nature into the garden. A small birdbath would be a focal point that is low cost and makes it fun to watch the local birds antics. Make a statement with some pots on the porch. Have an glass of tea and enjoy your new outdoor space!
  • Renee
    10年前
    It is hard to see from the angled shot - the tree is beautiful and I like the landscaping to the driveway side. I wonder if taking away the hedge around the tree and carrying the landscaping to the other side of the house front would brighten things up. It would also showcase the tree better.
  • abbyjean
    10年前
    最終更新:10年前
    Is it possible to remove the shutters without ruining the siding? They are just out of proportion with the windows. IF they need to stay, I am wondering about painting them black? I love black and brown and white together.
  • Renee
    10年前
    Alford beat me to the tree comment. I like the white. You could paint the thin columns white to match. Clean up the landscaping by removing the hedge and plant with some white flowered plants to pull in the trim color. You will be in business. It is a beautiful house with lots of charm.
  • housegal200
    10年前
    Here's a photo with house color quite similar to yours, but check out the turqoise door. They have taupe trim, not white. Also here's a link to a Google images page that comes up when you search: brown house, turquoise door. Your tree is the star!

http://www.google.com/search?q=brown+house+turquoise+front+door&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KxxWUsSkMbDh4AOOyIGoBg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1229&bih=645&dpr=1
  • housegal200
    10年前
    Me again. I'm with Abbyjean about possibly removing the shutters altogether. The full-length windows work well on their own without the skinny shutters. A brightly colored door would be just the bounce the house needs.
  • housegal200
    10年前
    Me again and again! I still think shutterless windows would look great. But if you really want shutters, paint them black as someone suggested upthread and which was done in the photo I attached. The black would harmonize with the roof and the window grids. If you go that route, move your black pot to the right of the door or get a big black planter and fill it with tall plants that can take the shade. Then the door would be the standout--turquoise, yellow, orange--whatever works for you.
  • cindyguent
    10年前
    The houre appears to be a mid tone brown, how about painting shutters VERY dark brown and I loved the idea someone else suggested of a shade of turquoise door. Some of the softer shades are gorgeous. Would probably like a creamy off white for accent around door and windows and on pillars. Can you beef up the framework around door to make it stand out more? Agree with removing shrub around tree. The house looks very charming so have fun making it YOURS!
  • dstemple1956
    10年前
    I agree with beefing up the porch posts. I would add trim around each one at top and bottom and put up some heavier molding around the door and painting the moldings to match the other trim color. Since you have a cover over your porch, you will need to use a light, bright color to make the door pop. Ditch the ugly hedge around the tree and balance the weight of the large tree with something heavier and/or taller in the opposite bed.
  • nmshea
    10年前
    You could encase the porch columns in a nice natural stone paver. Then paint the shutters deep brown, as someone else suggested. And perhaps a deep red ochre color for the door.
  • PRO
    Pebble Stone Coatings
    10年前
    A great option is Pebble Stone Coatings! With their all natural stone concrete overlay, any concrete surface can be brought to life. With a variety of colors and designs, they tailor a design that works best for you. At only $6.99 per sq/ft it is completely worth it. You most definitely get what you pay for! Visit the website at www.pebblestonecoatings.cm for more information!!
  • jlc668
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Here is what we ended up doing with the door! Now what do you all suggest?
  • housegal200
    10年前
    Agree with handyman. Colored door is looks great (even though I'm always in love with turqoise and chocolate.) Yes, remove the shutters--they take away from the nice smooth lines of the house and don't fit the style. Down the road fill out the columns. Think about 2-3 big colorful ceramic potted plants to the right of the door--red ones--or move over your planter to the right.
  • handymam
    10年前
    I would remove the bushes surrounding the tree as well.
  • southsound
    10年前
    I can't tell if you have already begun to remove the ivy from the tree trunk, but if you haven't, it should be removed or it will kill the tree. Clip each ivy "branch" near the bottom.