Houzz Logo Print
ethan_swords

Kitchen Reno - Island and Kitchen Table Placement

I bought this house recently and will be painting the walls white, getting white marble-esque quartz countertops, and likely keeping the wood stain on the cabinets - but feel free to give thoughts on that as well... I'm going for Mid-Century Modern. If I had a bigger budget, I'd get flat panel cabinet doors. Also, a table really will be needed in the kitchen as the dining room will be turned into a piano room.

I want to get an overhang on the island for two counter-height stools. The potential issue is with the current design, the table and chairs (which would be centered under a new pendant light in place of this old one shown here) might be too close to the stools and island.

I don't want an awkward space. Plus, I feel like (especailly if you look at the second pic) a table and chairs directly in front of stools and an island is a little wierd/cluttered anyway? If I moved the island back further towards the sliding glass door and didn't have so many doors on the opposite wall, I'd put the table against that corner, however that's not an option unless we closed off the opening to the dining room?? Could really use some help!

In Short: Where can I creatively make room for a table and chairs in this kitchen that has very little unused space? Moving the island is an option. Thank you!

コメント (9)

• latifolia
    昨年

Ditch the island and get a nice big table and chairs.

Ethan Swordsさんはlatifoliaさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    昨年

You need to post a to scale floor plan of the whole space all windows doorways and where those doorways lead every measurement clearly marked . Use graph paper it makes it easier to do to scale and easier for us too. Make sure to tell use where those 2 doors lead . How many seats do you need at the table . Are you canging the floor ? I need info. IMO the island would be better to be a peninsula , the stove needs a proper hood and the trip past the stove to the sink is IMO never ideal.

Ethan SwordsさんはPatricia Colwell Consultingさんにお礼を言いました
  • joycedjay
    昨年

It looks like you have room for a table under the light fixture by the slider.

Ethan Swordsさんはjoycedjayさんにお礼を言いました
  • Ethan Swords
    質問の投稿者
    昨年
    最終更新:昨年

I apologize for my lack of information! It may take me a bit (moving in this coming week so it's pure choas currently) but I'll see if I can come up with something like what you're asking for.

I can tell you there are 3 doors on that wall. First one in the back is to the landry room, second to the garage, and third is the pantry. Then the opening to the dining room (or what will be the piano room), then a door to the coat closet (don't ask why they put that there), then an opening to the living room and finally the sliding glass door to the deck out back.

I 100% plan on putting in new flooring (likely LVP) across the entire first floor, but have been told if I do it, I should do it all at once. Right now, I could probbaly only afford to do the areas that have the laminate down, (foyer, bathroom and kitchen) but I'd like the flooring to be seemless from room to room, so should probbaly wait until I can do it all.

Seat wise, I'd say at least 4, but 6 would be ideal. Thanks again!

• mcarroll16
    昨年

Rotate the island 90 degrees, so that one side is close enough to the range to add useful work space there. If the room is wide enough, have seating that backs towards the doors. If it's not, just skip it. You have a table right there.

Is the slanted wall a walk-in pantry? If so, you might consider removing that, to get some additional space on the back wall. It looks like your fridge opening is smaller than 36". That limits your fridge options. It would be great to be able to install a 36" wide fridge, and also move it down the wall to make more workspace on the right side of the range.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    昨年

if you're doing new flooring, then get a new island,

Or, turn your island and do an extended countertop in this direction. paint it this nice blue/gray color. add a pendant

OR, turn that one longway so you can have the countertop extended, perhaps do a table top on one end.

you could turn it, add leggs and do something like this. I'd paint it.

I have no idea why they installed that island in that direction. rotate it 90 degrees.

or, something like this

if you wanted to paint, you could have your kitchen look like this w/the longer island addition.

pick out some nice hardware.

as for painting the walls, we can't possibly say until we know what flooring youre getting, what countertop and what furniture you'll have in that room. You don't pick paint first.

(you could always do a neutral white on the walls if you like)

heck, I'd paint the cabs and do something like this

fill in the gap if you paint

but for colors that work w/the wood, here are some

• PRO
    Kimberlee Marie Interiors
    昨年

We have a few ideas which might work for your kitchen. You might look into rotating the island 90 degrees, or you could potentially make a bigger island like one you see below in our images from our portfolio.

Richmond Beach Remodel · 詳細

Kirkland Remodel · 詳細

Snohomish Remodel · 詳細

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    昨年

Kimberlee, I notice you're commenting on older posts. 2-3 months. (maybe try for something recent) It appears you're trying to advertise your services since all of your comments include your work, and your work only. Kind of spammy