Houzz Logo Print
ersmith10

Need Advice on Kitchen

ersmith10
昨年

I have an open floor plan at our lake house that has a huge stacked stone fireplace (with beiges, grays). We want to keep the fireplace as is if we can make the room work with it, as is the same stone that is on the exterior of the house. Fairly recently we redid the kitchen which is right across from the fireplace, and it just doesn't look pulled together. Kitchen cabinets are SW Elephant Ear, countertops are white quartz, and walls are Agreeable Gray. The room is north facing so gets a ton of light that causes all of the colors in the room to look different throughout the day (notice how upper vs lower cabinets look as if they are different colors). I'm considering replacing the countertops with something that better compliments the fireplace. Have thought about a black honed granite but I'm just not sure that is the way to go. The backsplash definitely has to be replaced (it's a shiny taupe that looks awful in the sunlight). But I am open to any and all suggestions.

コメント (18)

• PRO
    Jill Nelson Design Service
    昨年

I think what isn’t working is the green cabinet color and the backsplash. The countertop is a neutral warm white which goes well with rest of the room. I like the green as a stand alone, it was a good thought, but it just isn’t working. Consider a warm gray one white instead. Lighter colors will change less throughout the day in this north facing room.

ersmith10さんはJill Nelson Design Serviceさんにお礼を言いました
  • herbflavor
    昨年
    最終更新:昨年

if its not too much trouble I'd pull the backsplash and place a white ceramic subway. I would probably put on satin nickel or polished nickel hardware...maybe pewter. Not too many changes are needed.

ersmith10さんはherbflavorさんにお礼を言いました
  • ersmith10
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Thank you both.

Jill, do you have a warm gray to recommend? The cab color is SW Elephant Ear which is a warm gray/taupe, but you are right that it is probably too dark (although it looks great at night). And are you also as Herbflavor suggesting a white backsplash?

• ersmith10
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Thank you Housegal. My husband really wants to replace the countertops with something a little darker, so replacing the counters are definitely an option. When you say to choose the lightest warm color from the fireplace, do you mean the lightest beige/tan or the lightest gray? The cabinets are SW Elephant Ear.

• housegal200
    昨年

Since your cabinets and wall paint are on the cool side, then add warmth by choosing a pale shade of the gold/beige stone.

ersmith10さんはhousegal200さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    昨年

I recently saw at Lowes very nice granite to go with green cabinets. Check it please. You have to see it in person.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/allen-roth-A-R-Granite-Fantasy-Brown-Kitchen-Countertop-Sample/1002830616

ersmith10さんはCelery. Visualization, Rendering imagesさんにお礼を言いました
  • ersmith10
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Thank you Celery. Here is another photo of the cabinets - they are more greige than green (but look green when sunlight is coming directly in). But the Fantasy Brown might just work. I'll definitely check it out, thank you.

• housegal200
    昨年

I guess it depends on whether you want to emphasize the greenish hue the cabinets get in certain light or echo the golden stone fireplace across the room. Get plenty of decent-sized samples to try out in natural daylight and artificial light.

ersmith10さんはhousegal200さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    昨年

I'd prob lose the gray on the walls.

the cooler blue/grays seem to clash a bit w/the warmer tones on the fireplace.

(you could always limewash or mortarwash the stone to really brighten up that space. I'd also bring in some greenery, maybe some texture items, and at least one brighter color)

have you read about wall colors for north facing rooms?

some good info here:

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/north-east-south-west-which-paint-colour-is-the-best/

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/can-i-paint-my-north-facing-room-a-gray/

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/ask-kylie-can-i-paint-my-north-facing-room-white-or-off-white/

as for the countertop, if he really wants a darker top, look at Silestone Eternal Charcoal in the suede finish

Then do something like Cloe or Portmore tiles for the splash.

ersmith10さんはBeth H. :さんにお礼を言いました
  • ersmith10
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Beth, thanks so much! I know the wall color is wrong - was trying to avoid repainting right now if possible. But when we do, I was thinking BM Edgecomb Gray which is really more beige than gray. I've read a lot of Kylie's blogs but will look at the ones you've listed!

I've thought about the Soapstone, so glad you think that might work. My husband would love black!!! Would you then do black hardware or something else?

Will limewashing or mortar washing result in a whitish stone? Do painters typically provide this service (I am so not a DIYer).

You've given some great advice, appreciate it. One other thing if you don't mind. What about the mantel decor? I was thinking I don't need a thing there - not even the mantel. Just leave the stone. But would love your thoughts on that as well :)

• dan1888
    昨年

I'm in the minority, it seems so far. I'd replace the fireplace stone. Something with thicknesses. similar to the lintel and larger. That tone is acceptable. I like the mantle.

ersmith10さんはdan1888さんにお礼を言いました
  • Lexy Smith
    昨年

Fantasy Brown is a marble, not a granite. Unfortunately, many people have learned that only after they spent $$$ to have it installed. Make sure you can live with etching, scratches, and possible staining before you commit to it,

ersmith10さんはLexy Smithさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    昨年

limewash or a mortar wash are not difficult.

Some type of specialty person who is familiar with those products could do it.

Romabio or regular mortar is what's used. (you can google how to DIY just for grins)

I'd prob remove some of the mantle items, and maybe redo the shelves right next to it. it seems a bit 'crowded' and overly brown. you need some lighter items, maybe some diff art.

I'm not suggesting your copy all of this, just showing you what lighter, more neutral accessories do to the stone. (I hate this mantle and would just do a wood beam. I also don't care for these candlestick. I think one or two art pieces and taller vase w/stems is fine. for the hearth, maybe a basket w/a throw or some other greenery)

other mantle decor ideas just to give you an idea

I like the wood, but too many small items. choose a few, not 10!

on a limewash you'd get someting like this. you can go lighter or heavier.

this was romabio

this is a mortar wash

just to show you how it could look: (romabio limewash)

see how the cooler blue tones all work w/the stone?

(of course you could always lose the blue color in the room and go w/a warmer rug

or, try something like this, but bring in some other lighter elements.

so, I tried to photoshop using the black jute and some other elements that lean a bit warmer

I gave you a warmer wood beam mantle w/warmer accents and larger art. (the shelves off to the right would also need to be lightened up a bit)

a vase w/leaf stems (you could do a potted plant too), a basket w/neutral throws/pillows, some other textured items

try some leather lumbar pillows on those gray chairs to offset the gray tone.

if you copied these colors, it would also work w/your kitchen cabinet colors

some other paint colors that work well w/the stone, or w/your cabinets (gave you more neutral art w/the reddish brown mantle) I like swiss coffee if you want light. Kendall charcoal is nice if you want an accent somewhere.

I love this glass vase w/the tall green. you have some height, so don't be afraid to do something taller. even more of a vertical art piece would look nice

Gave you some other choices too

(but if you decide to lighten up the stone, I wouldn't worry about trying to match the tone. any of the netural colors will look great)

This was a regular brick fp. they did a heavier wash on it, brought in a beautiful warm wood mantle, and surrounded it w/texture and neutral tones.

This kick wall really looks blue/gray. I'd paint that something else.

here's the Silestone charcoal again. suede finish. I actually have this same quartz (but in the Serena color) on my own countertops.

leather or honed black granite is also an option.

even this palette would work w/the kitchen and the fireplace.

• ersmith10
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Beth, I can't thank you enough for your great advice and your time pulling all of this together! I love your suggestions and will work through all. I won't take up any more of your time here, but may I hire you for additional help if needed? Thanks again!

• ersmith10
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

What about this?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    昨年

I like that. maybe frame it in a black, or dark wood stain, and put a mat around it. It helps define the edges so that it doesn't 'blur' into the stonework.

something like this.

Or do a black or bronze mat w/a dark wood frame or buff frame.

• ersmith10
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Looks much better, thank you!