Houzz Logo Print
webuser_631459960

Console Tables - Stay or Go?

A G
昨年

I have a design dilemma.
Do the console tables flanking the fireplace
stay or go?
If they stay, how do I accessorize them?
If they go, what goes in its place? A chair
with small drink table?
Thanks for your input!

コメント (48)

• einportlandor
    昨年

In my non-pro, amatuer opinion either go with the tables or the paintings, not both.

• Yvonne Martin
    昨年

More photos of the room would help. For example, could you use more seating in the room, which might be provided by chairs under the paintings?

• A G
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Furniture is on order that’s why there’s no photos. I have a navy sofa, navy and white acrylic swivel chairs and two other upholstered chairs ordered. I’m wanting a minimalistic look. Navy and white rug, mixed metal accents…. Maybe I post question once all furniture has arrived? But, no, I won’t need seating but could move two chairs in place of consoles. I like consoles, husband does not. We are at a loss as to how to accessorize.

• A G
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

This is coffee table (not accessories or surrounding furniture) and two of the four chairs

• A G
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Sofa and rug

• shirlpp
    昨年

Something is not right. The consoles, artwork and TV are flanking the fireplace making it look really small.

• A G
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Two of these chairs in a navy and white fabric.

• lizziesma
    昨年

I find your fireplace stunning but would have placed the tv elsewhere. My pesbrain says its over-symetry-ized. Guess cor me the tables would go.

• A G
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Funny you ask… we switched tables today but can easily turn them around.

• Shasta
    昨年

I think the color of the consoles is wrong for your room. I also would do something different on each side, employing different shapes. Like this:

• everdebz
    昨年

Minimalism - not too much, not too many accessories....?

• A G
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Need accessories ideas please 😊

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    昨年

At least get to different paintings this looks like a store display and honestly I would wait until all the furniture is in place then decide on what goes on the consoles I sure like them better than a bunch of shelves filled with stuff that should not be displayed .

• Kay p
    昨年

I like the console tables a lot. Nice baskets underneath for storage. Some pottery and plants on top.
    Remove paintings

• HouzzUser-159283846
    昨年

The console tables look great. The matching art is not working for me

• decoenthusiaste
    昨年

Minimalist doesn't have to mean rectangular, as in windows, TV, firebox, consoles, rug, art and FP itself. It all looks too blocky to me and the art is way too large, and repetitious. I would soften with at least one plant, perhaps a chair and lamp or drink table opposite.

Miami Shores Makeover · 詳細

• Maureen
    昨年
    最終更新:昨年

The first thing I noticed was that the sides feel unbalanced due to tables bejng off kilter from windows/art. Suggest shorter length tables (same size as the art), or even skip tables and then lower art just a touch. Love your choices, by the way.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    昨年

The paintings have to go. the consoles can stay, just need styled.

I might paint those walls, or wallpaper.

add floating shelves

• Ac Lb
    昨年

Love them

• K R
    昨年

I think the tables are too clunky for that space - they’re beautiful tables but they look jammed in. I also think the matching artwork is too busy. I would definitely do a more minimalist vibe here. Deco enthusiasts has the right idea for that space.

• tfitz1006
    昨年

I agree with most of what people have said above, esp. Deco. I love those tables and I like the artwork, but maybe not where they are placed? I would get all your furniture in - looks like you've made some great picks. Then see about the artwork, perhaps somewhere else in your house. I can't believe I'm saying this b/c I don't love huge TVs, but I think yours is too small. Could you spring for one of those TVs that look like art? My daughters have them and they are really nice.

• PRO
    May Construction, Inc.
    昨年

I like the modern open concept shelves. However modern is about simplicity so i would keep what items you put into those shelves to a minimum.

• M Riz
    昨年

Swap the tables so the metal is on the outside and find art that co-ordinate or complements each other, two of the same exact pieces scream mass produced and cheap, and kind of the lazy way (sorry). Im also not against mounting a tv over a FP, but your FP is too small to support (figuratively) the TV, especially without a mantel.

• lucky998877
    昨年

Could you relocate the paintings to an entry wall etc? Please post a picture without the paintings...they are the real problem here.

• A G
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

If I turned art horizontally would that help? Or turn one upside down? The art helps tie in the dark FP with the rest of the light colored home. I’ll try to send pics without art.
    I appreciate all of the feedback. Definitely some things to try

• decoenthusiaste
    昨年

The art is too large for the wall space you have, it is too close to the windows, and the subject matter is identical with just a slight color variation, which makes it quite boring, IMO. If you want art there, go for a pair that are designed to be seen together but not identical. If those two windows do not face the street side of the house, consider taller, skinnier art that actually covers them and is about as wide as they are. Or simply remove the windows and do built-ins up the entire wall on either side.

Modern Living Room for ADULTS! · 詳細

Client House · 詳細

• Kathy G
    昨年

I love the tables but they feel too large. Same with the art - really large for that space, I like the idea of art there but less matchy and thinner than the windows. I would consider matching benches flanking the fireplace. I would get a larger TV. and try adding a plant on one side of the fireplace (against the brick) and something different on the other side for balance (basket, etc.) bc the fireplace also looks small within the brick.

good luck!

I added a (bad photoshop) sample of what I mean...

• everdebz
    昨年

You have a ceiling light fixture, yes? But you could try items on just one side. [They wanted lamps]

• everdebz
    昨年

If you're adding a few furniture pieces, 2 consoles might be 'too much'...

this room has the family's life on display with tripod/telescope thing, and not a traditional look.

• everdebz
    昨年

I can picture one side with: 2 pieces of art or wall sculpture below window, the same basic rectangles as the window. On other side, console with minimal.

• elcieg
    昨年

Go.

Try floor lamps and chairs, no art.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    昨年

Im just trying stuff, sea grass wallpaper.

• Olychick
    昨年

If the tables are flipped so the panel strip is on the outside, I think they look great and are a nice relief from the usual bookcases.

I really like the idea of floating shelves above them; maybe try one of the paintings on the fireplace and place the tv, on an adjustable arm, over one of the console tables with floating shelves on the opposite side. Maybe a floating shelf on the tv side, too, if there is room. Don't junk them up with a bunch of stuff, but a few well placed items and a few books.

If that doesn't work for you, I totally agree about replacing the art. Too large, too similar to each other and everything is too symmetrical and angular.

• everdebz
    昨年

RL's is a focal wall, and nice direction just imo.

Something a bit 'off' about 2 large art pieces, and a fp on the small side, I think the art is too large. Idea:

Oval Shape Metal Wall Planter with Attached Hanger, Set of 2, Gold · 詳細

• RedRyder
    昨年

I’m not a pro, but I would take away everything for now. You said “minimal” is your goal. Once your furniture arrives, rethink that wall. Maybe just complementary artwork on either side that are a better size. But for now, just take everything away. It will be more visually restful and you can rethink the space.

• hu818472722
    昨年

It looks to me that the scale/size of your console tables are too large for the size of the windows directly above them. The art pieces look oversized as well because you do not have an equal amount of wall space on either side of them.

• A G
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

I think the picture is misleading. The art is perfectly centered to the wall. Appreciate your input

• Tara
    昨年

Do you NEED those tables to hold anything? If you don't have a function for them already in mind, don't use them. Isn't that what minimalist is all about? Don't accessorize just because they're there. Maybe use one of the paintings and take away the console, and use the other painting somewhere else in the house. Use a similar styled taller shelving unit in the other niche and make it into a bar area. I see you already have wine glasses on one - go all out with that.

• A G
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

I know I said minimalist style. I really don’t know what to call it. Other than I don’t like a lot of clutter. I like clean lines. Maybe contemporary traditional is my style. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Shasta
    昨年

Is this the kind of look you want? Without the green vases and clutter?

• A G
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Love this!

• everdebz
    昨年

Kathy's yesterday - take a look in case you missed it anyone - lower items [benches which seem ok to have?] fit the scale better, of small fireplace box. Her art is smaller too.

• A G
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Im glad you had me go back and look. Yes, I do like that a lot.

• ratherbeatthebeach
    昨年

I love the console tables, just swap them as others suggested. I think you need some curves, shine, and wood for contrast. I would do a really large curved vase on one side. And a large mirror with an irregularly shaped frame on the other.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    昨年

im inclined to agree to wait for the furniture so we can all see the whole room. maybe post the whole room now we have no idea what the whole space feels like.

• Pam Hansen
    昨年

I LOVE THE WAY IT LOOKS, JUST ADD SOME BOOKS OR POTTERY

• felizlady
    昨年

The tables are fine. The fit the space. I find the almost-twin paintings jarring. They don’t appear to be centered in their respective spaces, either. The open storage below would tend to get messy or cluttered without matching container boxes to unify the look. The rug appears to be the wrong color for the space.