Houzz Logo Print
kathleenn02

Staircase trim help

We are building a house and the trim on the stairs looks odd to me. I'm not sure what to suggest to the builder or if I should say anything at all. Does it look weird to anyone? I'm sure when it is painted it will look better but it looks funny, right?!

コメント (15)

• kathleenn02
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

• kathleenn02
    質問の投稿者
    2年前
    最終更新:2年前

• mvcanada
    2年前

Yes it definitely looks funny but I'm a bit confused.

These look like basement stairs, yes? Are they going to have carpet on them or some other finish over top of this very rough wood?

One of the reasons the trim looks wrong is because it is not the same height as the stringers (the edge pieces of the actual stairs that are running on an angle along the edge). If the trim pieces met and matched the height of the stringer and then went straight across at that height, it would look better.

And on what appears to be the bottom step.....the stringer stops short of the last step which is odd as well. Once again the rest of the trim should match the stringer in height but continue straight where they meet rather than angled like the stringer.

This is one option although I don't care for the choppiness on this trim.

trim around stairs - Google Search · 詳細

This is a nicer option. Build up the stringers along the side and finish with a trim. I wouldn't choose this trim that they've chosen but it likely matches the baseboards otherwise.

trim around stairs - Google Search · 詳細

A smaller trim like the one shown makes a nicer finish than the larger baseboard.

• kathleenn02
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Not in the basement and they will have hardwood floors when finished. It's a new build so floors haven't been done. The trim is throughout the rest of the house so I'd hate to ask them to change it. But I don't like the way this looks. I'd like to have an idea of what needs to be done when I talk to the builder. Sound like I know what I'm talking about😘

All I know is it looks funny

• kathleenn02
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

The grey board in the last pic would be the same as skirt?

• PRO
    PPF.
    2年前

The grey board in the last pic would be the same as skirt?

Yes -- same material. Base molding goes next to the floor.

Your winders are a bit different than what I show. It's best if you can be there and work directly with the carpenter. Get him to cut some pieces of OSB or other material and tack them in place so you can approve before he replaces what's there.

• palimpsest
    2年前

In the other post:

• millworkman
    2年前

"and they will have hardwood floors when finished. It's a new build so floors haven't been done."

Baseboard typically sit on top of flooring and not installed before treads.

• kculbers
    2年前

I had a new oak staircase and bannister installed a few years ago by an experienced carpenter who specializes in staircases. Your trim work looks a bit odd to me.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2年前

Unfortuntely your winders appear to have a serious code violation; the trim is the least of your problems. They need to be reframed and that may eat some run. Sure, inspection may give your builder a pass, but that's not going to keep someone from being seriously injured:

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2年前

And get some nosing on those treads too please.

• PRO
    Cawood Architecture, PLLC
    2年前

One of the challenges with stairs is that only a few trim carpenters understand how to ease/curve the top edge of a skirt board, and try to trim with straight pieces. Its a bit of a time consuming process, and the pressure to finish quickly coupled with the lack of training means that you get the original carpenters solution.

• 3onthetree
    2年前

It all needs redone, completely. With the short stringers/skirt boards, it looks like they had 2 short stair runs ready-made but they weren't long enough, so they pieced together the middle winder section to connect the 2 runs (which is illegal per Joseph's drawing for winders anyway).

See how one of the OSB risers is in front of the tread? This is one reason, besides the skirting falling short, that it looks piecemeal to me. I would check the riser heights, they can not be more than 3/8" difference, but at minimum should all be exactly the same. And putting the finish tread on top of this particular riser that is in front of the "sub-tread" will cause squeaking.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2年前

kathleenn02:

Your builder and his stair sub are going to whine and cry about changing this like two grounded teenagers who got sent to their rooms, however, like those grounded teenagers, there is a very important lesson to be learned here.

Lots of times the code seems silly; this is not one of those times. Your builder wouldn't leave a live electrical wire dangling; this is every bit as dangerous and irresponsible.

Remember the first time you got huggin'-porcelain-hard-liquor drunk and vowed "Never again!"? Well that is the song you've got to get that stair sub to sing. Like your teenager, he'll thank you in a few years.

PR