Houzz Logo Print
christine_hyun3137

Crown moulding too close to the top of the window trim?

Chris 802
2年前

Our builder is doing trim mock-ups for us right now. The style of the house is modern barn on the exterior, but we are not going hyper modern on everything inside because we like a mix.

Does this crown moulding look too close to the top of the window trim, or is this normal? The wall is 10 ft tall, baseboard is 8”, current crown is 6.5”.

Thanks!

コメント (18)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2年前

I am not familiar with "modern barn", but if you "like a mix" you're heading in that direction.

Chris 802さんはMark Bischak, Architectさんにお礼を言いました
  • Anna Devane
    2年前

I also am not familiar with that term but looking at the window trim I would say the crown is too overpowering.

Chris 802さんはAnna Devaneさんにお礼を言いました
  • Timi M
    2年前

Suggest narrower crown molding.

Chris 802さんはTimi Mさんにお礼を言いました
  • KW PNW Z8
    2年前

I think there’s meant to be a ratio of crown size to baseboard size - large baseboard / large crown & of course ceiling height factors in too. That 6.5” crown doesn’t seem too wide with the 8” base & generous window trim too but it does strike me as very plain. I can’t see any fluting / bevel or embellishment except that it does have a slight curve. Maybe you could think about window treatments you might want to install - if they’re not inside mounted on windows, will there be room between window top molding & crown? I’d want to see what 5” crown looks like too.

Chris 802さんはKW PNW Z8さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Cawood Architecture, PLLC
    2年前

I would suggest, if budget allows, to use two pieces of trim-a smaller cove moulding (3" or so) with a simple square trim aligned with the top of the window backband-its an elegant look that gives height and substance without excessive weight-I am attaching a very heavy example, but something far simpler could match your look and be less typical solution, without drastically larger expense.

Chris 802さんはCawood Architecture, PLLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • J Sk
    2年前
    最終更新:2年前

I agree with @Anna Devane, that the the crown looks too "heavy" next to window casing.

Chris 802さんはJ Skさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    PPF.
    2年前

This shows a 3" crown, and a window with a stool and apron.

With a 10' ceiling, I guessed your window head height is 9'.

Chris 802さんはPPF.さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2年前

Crown mold, decolatage, and chandeliers are never too big.

Chris 802さんはJoseph Corlett, LLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • cpartist
    2年前

Is that door 9' tall?

Also why is the window not flush with the wall?

Chris 802さんはcpartistさんにお礼を言いました
  • strategery
    2年前

Barn & Crown. That's a mix, but it sounds like a great pub.

BTW, you can easily add that crown later after you see the barn completed.

Chris 802さんはstrategeryさんにお礼を言いました
  • Chris 802
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Thank you all for your input! We are asking to go lighter on the crowns.

This is an example of what our builders call modern barn (not our house, just an example of the style we've been seeing).

Most rooms won't receive a crown except those with no other treatment on ceilings or walls at all.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2年前

We find the height of base and crown that are most pleasing to the eye are the ones derived from classical proportions. For a 10' ceiling height, we would use 6 3/4" base and single-member cove or crown with a vertical projection of 4"

Marianne Cusato's book "Getting Your House Right" is an excellent reference for moulding sizes--and lot's of other stuff, too.

Chris 802さんはCharles Ross Homesさんにお礼を言いました
  • res2architect
    2年前

Formal classical crown molding is neither modern nor associated with barns. And this molding is a cove and much too large for the ceiling height.

Chris 802さんはres2architectさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2年前

"Formal classical crown molding is neither modern nor associated with barns."

Agreed. Nor was it a typical feature of American farm houses except those of the elite.

Chris 802さんはCharles Ross Homesさんにお礼を言いました
  • Angel 18432
    2年前

Yes, too top heavy.

• Chris 802
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Thank you all! We will go much lighter if we use them and in most rooms, not use crowns at all.

An example of a home both rustic and (gasp) still crowns in some rooms…sometimes thinking outside the box doesn’t hurt.

• Karen
    2年前

I think you are safe in your decision to back off on the crown. I think what is throwing me is the high window headers don’t put enough separation between the crown and windows tops.

Chris 802さんはKarenさんにお礼を言いました
PR