Houzz Logo Print
su3naluvjakey

Help needed immediately (trim and wall colors)!

su3naluvjakey
2年前
最終更新:2年前

We recently purchased a 1925 Tudor home. It was updated through out the years and in relatively good condition. I am not a big fan of the wood trims & beans on the ceiling but they are original. Many (including my husband) suggested we keep them.

Here are the issues. Some of the windows in the house are new (real wood) while others are not (painted white windows). The house has a lot of characters, but it's a small house with too many colors already (we haven't even moved it yet). There are three rooms that have the ceiling wood beans. The rest don't. I am thinking to leave the beans in the kitchen and family breakfast room because the built in cabinets are connected to them (to the right of the picture you can see the cabinets).

The living room, however, is more of a space on its own. The windows and ceilings and trims all have different wood colors, and the previous owner added a new fireplace. It's beautiful, but the color and tone has nothing to do with this room. I am thinking to leave the inside of the all the new windows in it's original colors (there are 4 in the room, but the picture only shows 2), but paint all the crown molding, beans, and floor trims off-white and complete the room with a wall color that will go well with the fireplace. What are your thoughts?

We already started skimming the walls in the house but we will have to make decisions about the rest very soon. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

コメント (15)

• arcy_gw
    2年前

Before you start slapping paint about you need a clear vision of your goal. Do you intend to embrace the home's heritage or modernize it into a 2021 updated milk toast same as the neighbors dwelling. I think you and husband need to agree before you begin. Once you paint the wood you won't ever go back.

su3naluvjakeyさんはarcy_gwさんにお礼を言いました
  • houssaon
    2年前

As far as the room you posted goes, that woodwork is an attractive detail. It would be a real shame to paint the trim.

• jjam
    2年前

Please don't paint the trim. I'm usually in favor of that but not in your home. Find a good white/off white that you like and use it throughout on the walls. Once you do that, your color palette will be simplified and the house will feel more unified and more spacious. At least do that first and then decide. The trim is gorgeous, definitely an architectural feature consistent with the age and style of your home, and worth saving wherever you have it. Good Luck!

• roarah
    2年前

I think doing a wall color or wall paper other than cream would transform this room into a show stopper.

Craftsman Family Home | Ocean Park · 詳細

Isn’t this lovely! The wood is a star and this same space with painted trim would be so much less!

su3naluvjakeyさんはroarahさんにお礼を言いました
  • rustynail
    2年前

That’s a lovely room. I wouldn’t paint the trim or beams.

• Rachel Lee
    2年前

I am also usually in the “paint it” camp, but in this room, I would not. I would redo the fireplace to reflect the historical era of the home, leave the wood alone, and find a warm historically appropriate paint color.

• su3naluvjakey
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Thank you so much everyone!

I am very new to this type of home but loves the look from the outside. I dont really know what to do with the interiors so my instinct was to do what I am used to.

So glad I asked!

@Rachel Lee: The fireplace was a new addtion (only done this year) and probably cost a fortune. Not sure if I would replace again. Any suggestions on what else I could do intead?

• su3naluvjakey
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

@ roarah: Your house is so beautiful. I wish I had the same kind of vision you have! I basically have no idea what to do at this point, and my husband is worse. If you dont mind me asking, leaving the woodwork alone, what kind of colors would you suggest for the walls and the window treatment?

• HouzzUser-187528210
    2年前

If you choose not to paint the wood I think a wallpaper would look magnificent!
    I’d do light neutral shades. Roller shades, Roman shades....

• apple_pie_order
    2年前

When a house is nearly 100 years old, the colors of wood trim and flooring reflect years of history. For a more unified color scheme, change the walls, not the trim. You can carry the same colors throughout the house.

• roarah
    2年前

Oh that is not my house. Sadly a previous owner painted all my woodwork in my 1920 storybook. I spent a year stripping all my doors but quit before getting to the trim when I started my family. your before house is my after dream inspiration.

I love crisp whites, blues and even green painted walls with dark wood. Often people use creams and tans but I do find yellow or brown undertones with wood trim dreary instead of stunning. If using a wall paper simple linen window treatments are lovely. Also blue grass cloth would be beautiful in your room! But if using plain paint i love printed curtains and they suit the era of your home.

I used a blue/ green paint and went with a printed linen fabric in my sunroom with mahagony doors and a dark tongue and grove ceiling. when the curtains are drawn it almost works like wall paper. There is a 25 pound cat sleeping behind the curtains right now and that is why the right looks crooked.

If you click on image you can see the paint color and dark wood ceiling

• Rachel Lee
    2年前

Look up “1920’s fireplace designs”.

• PRO
    Courtney Thomas Design
    2年前

Here we have a few homes that we designed for clients with wood beams. We think looking at them might help you with this particular dilemma.

Oh So Spanish House · 詳細

Oh So Spanish House · 詳細

La Canada Blvd Residence: Living Room · 詳細

Altadena Modern Farmhouse: Living Room · 詳細

Chevy Chase Renovation: Living Room · 詳細

• cat_ky
    2年前

I am also in the do not paint those beams, windows or trim. Its beautiful, and it makes the room. Too bad, they didnt match the fireplace mantle to the beams, and trim. I am not so fond of the yellow walls, so I would be painting walls.

PR