Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Better shower option: narrower and longer, or square?

artemis78
2年前
最終更新:2年前

We are weighing two different bathroom design options that require different shower dimensions, and curious about thoughts on shower size. This bathroom is going into an existing space that is very tightly constrained, so we don't have room to increase these dimensions.

Option A has a shower with an interior dimension of 32" x 48" (27" x 47" at base) with an 18" vanity.

Option B has a shower with an interior dimension of 36" x 36" (31" x 35" at base) with a 24" vanity.

We have used showers of both sizes so know that they are both fine, if tight, and we don't have a strong preference between the two. Both meet our local codes. Which is preferable, though? (The two plans have some other pros and cons in addition to the vanity size that we are balancing alongside the shower dimensions, but it would be helpful to know if people other than us have strong opinions in favor of one or the other, since we don't!)

コメント (4)

• Mrs Pete
    2年前

Option B has a shower with an interior dimension of 36" x 36" (31" x 35" at base) with a 24" vanity.

If these are your only options, I'd go with this one. A 24" vanity is not really acceptable ... an 18" vanity really is not worthwhile at all. Thoughts:

- Since the bases are smaller, I'm assuming you're using a shower pan. Overall I prefer shower pans, but with the dimensions being so small, I'd go with a tiled floor. This means you wouldn't lose those few precious inches around the base /your walls would be squared off at the base.

- If you're this tight on space, I'd go with a pedestal sink (for visual space).

- With no storage in the sink, go with a DEEP medicine cabinet.

- You don't mention the toilet, but with so little space, I'd consider a wall-mounted version, which is a space saver.

• artemis78
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Thanks--we are planning a tiled shower floor, but dimensions are similar to what they would be for a shower pan. (I am curious to know why you prefer shower pans, too--we could also do that but thought the tile would be better to use aesthetically.) There will be a recessed medicine cabinet over the sink, and I am toying with a recessed tall cabinet between the studs on one wall too. Won't be deep, but we are not looking to store too much here--the house's primary bathroom is a short walk away and has good storage. If we do the longer shower, we will use a wall-mount toilet (only way to make the width work). With the square shower, we have room for a standard toilet. (The tradeoff for that design is that we lose an adjacent office area--although it will be tiny even with the narrower shower, and may not be worth trying to save. We plan to tape it out later this month before making the final decision.)

• PRO
    Pearl Remodeling
    2年前

Option B works! Check out our bathroom projects to get some inspiration on shower layouts and vanity sizes. https://www.pearlremodeling.com/home-improvement/bathroom-remodeling/

• Lyn Nielson
    2年前

no need for a shower pan if you tile properly.

I would go with the larger shower.

If possible, I would get the largest recessed medicine cabinet available with a mirror on the interior, too.

Sounds like you have the rest under control.

PR