Houzz Logo Print
jolene_mcmann6

Going crazy over this kitchen!

Advice welcomed!! We downsized to this 1980s townhome, and I’m realizing that I’m terrible at this. The first 2 pictures are from when we bought it and the last pic shows the color we painted and the furniture. All I’ve been able to decide on is the paint color, mostly because I wanted to see if I could not paint the cabinets. The door leads to the laundry room and out to the backyard. I have no idea if I should gut it or salvage something.

コメント (39)

• arcy_gw
    3年前

Is it possible to take the after picture with the same lights on as the before and from the exact same perspective so we are comparing apples to apples. I have no idea what the after picture is compared to the first two. As far as what else...that's a totally personal decision. Do you have an idea board, kitchens you love? We need more to go on.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3年前

I need a to scale floor plan and is taht the only eating space in the home?I agree the bottom pic is not in anyway related to your actual space for us to see and why all the stuff on a bookshelf. That tells me you need storage and lots of it so IMO a redo of the kitchen . A to scale plan with all measurements clearly marked windows and doorways marked any plumbing that can’t be moved marked and some idea of budget

• Jolene Mcmann
    3年前

The last picture is the same part of the kitchen as the second to last picture, just a slightly different angle. That is a vintage hutch filled with Pyrex dishes (that I just haphazard stuck in there to get the boxes out of the house). Yes, that is the only place to eat in the kitchen.

• Jolene Mcmann
    3年前

I would like to of course save as much money as possible. I can replace counters, backsplash, lighting, sink, appliances. I think I’ll try and keep the cabinets and refinish and keep the floor, I need to be careful about not pricing us out of the market too, in terms of resale. We are coastal and I‘d like to reflect that I’m the decor. Oh, and Charleston coastal.

• rosiembog
    3年前
    最終更新:3年前

Dear Jolene! Your kitchen looks highly functional according to the principle of "ice,water,stone,fire".

Absolutely love the vintage hutch and contents.I too have vintage Pyrex and see it is becoming a hot collectible.

I use mine a lot.

Do you have room for a larger table by the hutch,maybe one with fold down sides?

I feel you do not need to overhaul anything,except to maybe adjust wall paint colors.

• PRO
    User
    3年前

There’s a lot to keep here, and some small changes can make a big difference. Start with measuring out everything in a floor plan. Measurements are needed to explore any design possibilities, in any room. That’s how you not buy the sofa that is too big for your space! And how you figure out the room for a table or island. I’d also recommend joining the Kitchen Cabinet Painting Experts group on Facebook. You can learn how to stretch your budget pretty far by DIYing the color change, if that ends up being the direction chosen. Good luck!

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    3年前

Post a picture of the new wall color against the cabinets with the same lights on. I love the pale blue/green but do you like it against the cabinets?

• crcollins1_gw
    3年前

How long have you lived there? I'd wait at least six months to a year before committing to any significant changes. It looks like a functional kitchen, but you'll only know after using it for a while if it will work for you. If you were to paint the cabinets, then decide the layout needs changing, you've wasted a lot of money. Put away your things, get in there and use it. Start a list and a savings account! :)

• Lisa Phillips
    3年前

I can see why you're going crazy with this! There is nothing that stands out as obviously needing to be replaced, but the colors are not harmonious and are not anything near the coastal style you like. I also love coastal colors and like to save money. If it was me I would bite the bullet and paint the cabinets your favorite coastal color (I like the blues and greens) Of all the things you could do, this would make the biggest impact. I would then do the backsplash and treat yourself to a new sink and faucet if budget allows. I actually think your existing countertop would look fine with this and possibly not need changing. A note on the backsplash. It has always seemed crazy to me that it is traditional to use grouted tile in an area that is subject to constant food splashing! A seamless, non-staining, easily washable material makes so much more sense to me. In a recent issue of Better Homes and Gardens I saw an awesome high-end kitchen that used washable wallpaper for the backsplash. This might be something to consider. You could have some fun with it and and choose a pattern that would help make your kitchen feel even more coastal....

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    3年前

I agree with Wednesday. If you have to have an eating area in the kitchen, that hutch is taking up too much valuable space. Looking at the light fixture and the windows, it appears that this has been designed for a table squared up under the light.

You said you are downsizing in this new place - perhaps it’s time to make some hard decisions.

• smiling
    3年前

Have you considered running some strings of rope lights just behind the crown molding on top of the upper cabinets,(LEDs stay cooler), and displaying the less frequently used pieces of your great Pyrex collection up there?

It could free up some space in the hutch, yet allow you to still enjoy the pieces every day. You could use inexpensive dollar store pieces to raise them just up to the height of the molding so the entirety of each piece was visible.

• justbeckyg
    3年前

It is difficult to definite with advice without seeing the outer window wall, I am guessing there is very little wall between the window & entry door. I would recommend painting the cabinets soft white to update them and add handles/knobs to dress them up. Also, before painting, remove the crown and add a flat filler on top of the cabinets & re install the crown against the ceiling. Light colored counters and backsplash, along with the white cabinets will make the room more open and bright. If you can't replace the floor you can get a patterned rug to bring in color. If you do decide to gut it & start over I would suggest switching places with the stove and sink/dishwasher. The room seems too small for the hutch, if you can rethink it's location it would be better. If it has to stay there then you really need to remove at least 60% of what's out in the open, it's way too packed. Good luck. hope that helps.

• ginasmitasin
    3年前

I’d paint the cabinets to match your already existing trim, mount the window cover higher or get something with a slimmer profile (you are losing 25% of your light). Pick the cabinet or the table and chairs... it feels too crowded with both or if you have another place to eat a small settee and coffee table at an angle may be nice.

• Judy Bath
    3年前

Paint the cabinets or have someone paint them and get a counter depth fridge for more room. Also get rid of the hutch so you have more room to eat in and be in the kitchen. Live with it for awhile and then tear it out as the layout is cumbersome and closed off and there is no natural light.

• Ingrid Riseley
    3年前

Replace the refrigerator with a counter depth fridge. It will take the focus off the refrigerator; right now, it is the first thing you see as you enter the kitchen, and everything else will become void. Create a new focal point or make the kitchen stand out as a whole. Your hutch is lovely, but replace it with a bench and perhaps a farmers table with chairs on the other side, it will open up your space but make it cozy and places you under the light.

• Dixie
    3年前

I would recommend finding a designer that specializes in kitchens. If you have the funds to gut your kitchen, you have the funds to hire a designer. We did, when we finally decided to gut our family vacation cabin. I would have never come up with the design she did for us, and our whole family loves the finished product! She saved us thousands of dollars in mistakes that we would probably have made, and if I had it to do over, I’d hire her again! Good luck!

• hollywaterfall
    3年前

Refinishing the cabinets feels less expensive than changing the floor and counter, but that is another option. However, if you are going for a more neutral palette with gray/white then those orangey cabinets need to go.

• PRO
    Brm Mac
    3年前

Get that refrigerator off that wall, it limits your options for going bigger. but always choose counter depth. How many refrig doors can open to that wall (open all the way) not many. I've done a dozen of these remodels. Check load bearing walls when deciding on a full gut. Opening a doorway for more open feel to other areas or full wall removal. Consider running same flooring throughout your space and bringing those cabinet all the way to the ceiling for an overall larger feeling space. If you remove a wall, can an island be supported? Wiring, plumbing, etc. You have some work ahead of you. Make an inspiration board, photos, wishes, finishes budget etc. Planning 80 percent, work 20. Do it right the first time, you have a lot of planning to do. Houzz is a great start for building that inspiration board.

• nolanirvana
    3年前

I agree with posters who said to get a counter depth fridge. We did that in our vacation home. I also advise living with the kitchen 6 months to a year before doing any drastic changes. Since you mentioned resale, it would be wise to discuss with local realtors what things will increase value the most. Since it looks like you need more storage, I would look into replacing the upper cabinets to go up to the ceiling. If you can afford it hire a kitchen designer.

• coladin
    3年前

First thing i would decide is what color the appliances should be. I think either black or silver appliances , personally I would change the stove to stainless steel to match the fridge and dishwasher. Then, a new, modern, light fixture. Last, redo the floor. I would leave the rest for a few months to figure out what next. I don’t like the floor pattern and painting cabinets or any other investment won’t work until you fix the floor. I think those three things to do will completely change the look!

• Mary Wiggenhorn
    3年前

My 82 year old sister painted her kitchen cabinets with chalk paint and was delighted with the end result and the ease of application. (Since she lives alone, she skipped the wax finish).

• wednesday morning
    3年前

It seems that this kitchen may be good for some type of an island that would serve as both a work surface and maybe a couple of stools to sit at.

If you have a dining area otherwise, that round table may be the best candidate for removal.

Like another poster said, downsizing often means making changes in how we live in our house.

I do love your pyrex in the hutch, though. It would be my personal option to keep that. It looks like you could use some additional working space and an island would serve both for work and for eating.

Otherwise you kitchen looks in good shape.

I know that is a real estate photo shoot , but it sure could use some under cabinet lighting when you get around to doing what ever it is that you decide to do.

• djandtommy
    3年前

Gosh, there are some wonderful suggestions here. I do agree with living there for awhile before you make changes as that will help you see how the area works for you. Relish the diagonally placed floor tile as it makes the space look bigger usually. To make the kitchen work better in the meantime, you can usually add shelves to your cabinets so that your particular kitchen items fit better. That assumes your cabinets have adjustable shelves and most upper cabinets can use an extra shelf which makes for less stacking of items also. If you are semi-handy it is cheap and if you have them made for you, it is reasonable usually. Look at that pantry closet with a critical eye too so that you can organize it to make it easy to use. Add quality hooks or shelves or storage on the door that makes you happy as well as serves your needs. Take your time to figure it out as your kitchen is clean with cabinets that look in great condition and it looks like there is a significant middle area which is wonderful. Figure out all the good points and what needs changing. You don't want to rip out an improvement to fix drains that don't work right. Improved lighting is one of my favorite improvements in our recent remodel. We had improved what we had over the years, but now have undercabinet LEDs and LED can lights in addition. Those were not that expensive but make a huge difference. I even have some where I wave to turn the lights on under the cabinets - magical.

• Heather Sato
    3年前

Something to consider: The doorway that open sideways into the eating nook, what is that? Is that a closet / pantry? The swing of that door really eats up valuable space in your eating nook. Depending on your budget, and storage needs, consider either moving the access to this space (door) to the hallway, next to the other two doors shown, or open up the space to the kitchen/eating nook. Then you could slide the hutch that way, (away from the window) and open up the eating nook a little.

Also, consider replacing the upper cabinets with ones that go all the way to the ceiling. More storage, less space for dust and grease to collect. You could paint the lower cabinets to match, or coordinate with, whatever you put up top. Best of luck!

• Mark Cochran
    3年前

Hi Jolene,

If you're trying to cut costs but want a refresh, I was wondering if you might choose a paint or stain that matches the hue in your counters and floor. Then you could paint the walls and ceiling the colors you like - including the back splash with something that's washable. As others have mentioned, it takes time living in a space to figure out how you want it to work and what colors to choose.

Good luck with everything! I think you've got a great baseline to work with!

Mark

• HouzzUser-80454591
    3年前

Definitely get rid of the black in the kitchen to lighten it up and make it look larger. I would start with the frig and get a counter depth frig (current frig size overwhelms the kitchen)). Then get a stainless steel range. You might consider looking into how to store things above the cabinets (maybe glass door cabinets to show off your pyrex collection? or just a place to store things to get them out of the way?) (replacing the cabinets with ones which go to the ceiling can be expensive). Less expensive things to do: definitely put in an updated light fixture above the sink, install lights under the cabinets, and replace the overhead kitchen light with canned lights. I would consider adding some color or interest to the backsplash to take the focus away from the floor. (e.g. light blue/green and clear glass tiles). The cabinets look fine and are a pretty light color - no need to reface or paint unless you really want to. I'd also not replace the floor if you don't have the money but yes I agree with others that the floor is too busy so it makes the room look smaller. If you replace the floor go with something with tiny grout lines or a homogenous wood look. Have fun making it a kitchen you enjoy!

• ginasmitasin
    3年前

Great idea Heather.

• HouzzUser-478104510
    3年前

As far as I can tell, you haven't mentioned how long you've been in this new place. It seems to me that might make a difference. Whether it's interiors or landscaping, I always recommend seeing how things are for a full round of seasons before making changes not essential for safety or function. I, too, have lived in the coastal Southeast and know the light will be different, as will the heat load on your window and -- to some extent -- the view outside, at different times of the year. Your room will feel and look different as those change and you should know those things before investing your money, work and time into a re-do as significant as a kitchen makeover. If you can, take your time to see how the kitchen works for you as-is, how it relates to the rest of your home and how it works with seasonal changes.

• HouzzUser-786049761
    3年前

A counter depth French door refrigerator will help with traffic flow through the laundry room door and updating the stove/dishwasher would help with future resale. Painting cabinets white would be a good choice also. Newer self-leveling paints make DIY more doable these days. I have a Chilewich rug that is 10 years old and looks like new, super sturdy, great for kitchens and fun coastal colors. I agree that choosing a few favorite pieces to display above your cupboards would free up valuable real estate in your dining area, substituting your hutch (too big) with a cute upholstered small scale dining bench could give you more flexibility to entertain more than 2 people in your space and make it more cozy. Love your paint color, a very good start!

• User
    3年前

if you're considering updating the counters, then I do think the cabinets need a change. the first thing I'd do is price out how much it would cost to have the doors replaced vs. the cost of having them professionally painted. that same wood in a shaker style would instantly be an improvement.

if you can't afford that, honestly, I'd go ahead and paint. normally I recommend against that (particularly if they're really good quality and in good shape). but if they're builder grade, then go for it. it would be a big improvement.

• Missi (4b IA)
    3年前

Do you use the things in the hutch in the eating area? If you don't, and they're just pretties to display, maybe if you could extend the cabinets to the ceiling you could do glass fronts and display them up there, free up some space in the eating area?

• PRO
    Design Directives, LLC
    3年前

We might start by updating the appliances. We might suggest trying appliances in stainless steel.

Modern Napa: Kitchen · 詳細

• User
    3年前

I would replace your present dining arrangement with banquett seating under the window and sw the poss of the hutch and artworks to make space for that. You could do a built in banquette but finding a simple backed-bench or armless settee should be easy

Coronado Settee, Chocolate/Sand · 詳細

I like the color you chose and I would paint all the upper cabinets that color and then see what you’d like to do next. Maybe paint the lower cabinets the same color or a different color. Maybe the wood looks fine. Maybe you want a different stove.

if your huge fridge is useful, keep it and find something large, charming and/or useful to put on top of it (write off those rear cabinets as useful storage)

At some point I’d probably like a rug in there,

Morse Area Rug in Pale Blue/Camel/Mustard/Saffron/White/Lavender · 詳細

but maybe not. They can be more trouble than they are worth in a kitchen

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    3年前
    1. I’m super jealous of your Pyrex 😊

2. Another person here recently built upper shelves above the cabinets that extend to the ceiling. You can leave them open maybe and display the Pyrex there?

• Laura
    3年前

Wow, your cabinets are in great shape! When we bought our built-in-1994 house six years ago, the cabinets were in atrocious condition. We gutted the entire kitchen for a number of reasons, one being that the cabinets were not salvageable, so we just went for it.

Cabinets are so pricey. If I were you, I’d keep the cabinets and paint them a nice coastal blue color and add new hardware. You can pull those right into the present day with the right paint and pulls. Heirloom Traditions paint is great to work with and holds up well. Their Facebook group is helpful.

I’d swap the fridge for a counter depth one and replace the stove /hood so it goes with the other appliances. I’d change out the countertops, sink, and faucet. And I’d keep the tile to save money but change the grout color.

You really do have nice space and great cabinets to work with! This will be a fun project!

• Laura
    3年前

Also, if you can remove the cabinet above the sink and replace with a floating shelf, it would open the space up!

• Michele Darden
    3年前

I think a lot of this will depend on how you use and live in the space. Do you also have a dining room and do you eat in both? Do you host others for dinner, or is the two-seater adequate? If this were my kitchen, I would not want to take up the limited counter space for a coffee maker, so may want to have a piece in the eating area that could serve as a console that would serve as a coffee station also providing storage at a lower height. If the door in the corner is not a pantry do you need pantry space? If no dining room, do you need space to store serving pieces/linens?

• Elizabeth
    3年前

Painting the cabinets (a nice coastal blue/green would be beautiful and would tie in with the existing floor) would be number one thing on my priority list. I think that would make everything else much more liveable, and you could then replace appliances/backsplash/etc over time.

PR