Houzz Logo Print
fionac24

Kitchen Layout..please help! x

Fiona P
3年前

Hello All, is anyone able to help me, I feel I'm going mad...I'm moving into my new home and the whole house needs renovating. We are removing a wall to make a kitchen diner and have bifold doors. I'm stuck on the kitchen layout. I didn't realise how little space I would have, so think my sink should go in my island, looking out of the bifold doors. Would anyone kindly take a look and see if the layout looks ok. I don't have anyone to ask here, husband absolutely not interested as long as it has his american fridge freezer in, so any input would be really appreciated....thank you x

コメント (14)

• Daisy England
    3年前
    最終更新:3年前

It’s difficult to look at the image as it keeps twisting around when I’m trying to look at it from my iPad.

Have you got your corner correct where the microwave is in the wall unit? Can’t read it easily but looks as though it doesn’t work out.

Would you be better off with the larder unit at the end to save breaking up the run of worktop?

Personally I’m not a lover of an American style fridge freezer as it always looks to me as if they take over the kitchen. An integrated one suits far better.

I‘ve always thought a 500 drawer pack is fairly useless as it is narrow. An ideal drawer pack size that’ll cater for sufficient storage is 800mm.

It is nice to take advantage of the position of bi fold doors when you have an island in the kitchen. Not sure about sink and dishwasher in it though. Are there any other windows in the space?

• Zoe Kelly
    3年前

Hi Fiona, honestly at a first glance the island looks too big for the space - I was thinking it might be better swung 90 degrees, though from the measurements maybe the drawing is just not very to scale! (Eg the distance between the island and the cabinets is actually 1100 on both sides). I would be tempted to draw it up in an online kitchen planner (IKEA and diy kitchens both have free ones, regardless of where you’re getting kitchen from) as that will give you a 3D view and help better visualise the space!

• Fiona P
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

No other windows..I'm beginning to think I've bought a dud! i will draw it up on the ikea kitchen planner and repost! thank you both so much for looking at my terrible drawing xxx

• Carolina
    3年前

I’d ask Karen from OnePlan, she is a space planner and knows all about kitchen design too. With an American style FF, you probably have to take the swing of the doors into account too. A kitchen is a big investment, best get it right. OnePlan is in the pro section here.

• PRO
    Hannah Hopkins Interiors
    3年前

Hi Fiona, congratulations on your new home! Looking at your kitchen plan I would maybe consider switching the island round so your sink sits in front of the rangemaster (this will be a lot more practical) and at least people sitting at the island will then not having their backs to the garden. My concern is the small space leading to the wc as this looks very tight. I think this part needs a re-think in order to help it flow better. You also need to make sure you have considered end panels and fillers otherwise the units will not fit!

I have over 3 years experience in kitchen design and I can put a scaled 2d plan together for the entire space along with 3d images to give you a better idea how the whole space will look and how it will all flow. Please do get in touch if you would like further information on this :) Hannah x

• PRO
    VORBILD Architecture
    3年前

Fiona P - Thank you for sharing this. I like the layout - you have a good distance between the island and other units. If you wanted to move the sink off the island, you would need to destroy the symmetry of the kitchen - but I suppose I would explore swapping the sink and the hob potentially, and then having a ceiling extractor or perhaps one of these pop out extractors. Is the style more contemporary or traditional?

• Fiona P
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thank you all, it is a more traditional style house so it is a shame that I don't have room for a sink (even along the wall) and I had thought that opening the room up would give me more space (a larger kitchen diner) but actually it gives me a smaller kitchen as I have less walls! i have tried talking my husband out of the American fridge freezer but he isn't budging....I started my ikea kitchen planner tonight (thanks so much for that suggestion) and just getting to grips with it! xx

• Fiona P
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

And thank you Vorbild for the suggestion of swapping the sink with the hob - I will draw a plan with this is and have an undercounter oven, to see how this looks x

• Charlotte McDougall
    3年前

Have you thought about putting the kitchen on the opposite wall? You could then have a longer run of units and a longer island.

• Fiona P
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Hi Charlotte, I did think of that but I was worried about where I would place the settee, tv and small dining table in the other part (where the current kitchen is) xx

• PRO
    OnePlan
    3年前

Hi Fiona - Hobs on islands are fine - just be mindful where you put seating - ie not behind the hob or too close to sides. ( to avoid splash burns )

Thanks for the mention Carolina ! Fiona and I spoke a while back I seem to recall . It too suggested moving the kitchen to the other section ... watching with interest !

• Fiona P
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

hi Karen, yes you did say to move the kitchen to the other wall, in fact, in our brief chat you were marvellous...i probably need one of yourdesign days and tackle the whole house! xxx

• Carolina
    3年前
    最終更新:3年前

Lol, that might be a challenge too far, even for Karen: a whole house in a day. But you could always try :-)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    3年前

Be quick if you want it in January ! It’s filling up already !!