Houzz Logo Print
webuser_145277632

New home foundation pour in winter

Hello! I will soon be a first time homeowner. They plan on pouring our basement soon, in the coming couple weeks I assume. However, it’s December almost and December is cold in CO. Here’s what I’ve learned so far.

1) will need to use additives such as calcium chloride. This will also rust rebar so must make sure no steel is used in the concrete

2) must use insulated blankets or a heated structure to cure concrete properly to a minimum of 500psi

What should I be asking the builder?

I assume I ask what additive is used to accelerate curing. If they’ll use blankets or a heated structure. How do they test to confirm 500psi has been achieved? Do they plan to use rebar or some metal to help reinforce?

Are these questions appropriate and are there additional questions I should ask regarding this process? It’s my first home and I want to make sure I don’t have any issues because of a hurried task and corners cut, etc.

Looking forward to building my new home learning about home ownership!

コメント (7)

• PRO
    IRP Architects Pty Ltd
    3年前

Hi Mike,

It’s exciting that you’re getting your first home! Typically, builders will be more than capable of ensuring all of these requirements are fulfilled. If you are concerned, however, these are most if not all the concerns you should be looking after: http://www.texconreadymix.com/top-16-mistakes-people-make-installing-concrete/

Hope this helps you and let me know if there is anything else you require!

• cobalty2004
    3年前

This is a fear of mine as well. I am in SW Ohio.

My basement is dug, footers are to be poured this week. I'm not keen on concrete w/o rebar, I will ask my builder today.

• millworkman
    3年前

If he has built other homes in the region I would trust his judgment on the foundation. After all this is only the start and you are entrusting him with hundreds of thousands of dollars of your money. If you cannot trust him on the foundation you will have a long road to hoe.

• anj_p
    3年前

Ok. Structural engineer here. Concrete is poured all the time in winter and in zero cases do we just omit rebar because it might corrode. Please do not insist that he remove rebar from your foundation because you did some googling.

• Mike Thompson
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Doesn’t seem like there are any other suggestions for questions to ask. I understand everyone is mostly on board with just trusting blindly and letting them go. I’m an engineer so I’m constantly asking why things are done a certain way and 100% believe in trust but verify. My nature has me always questioning things. I appreciate the input and attempts to build confidence. I think I’ll still ask some of these questions and the builder can answer or has his subcontractors answer them. I’m a curious person by nature.

• User
    3年前

Are you a licensed engineer? I used to live in an area where garbage collectors were called sanitation engineers.

Did you use forums to become an “engineer”.

• millworkman
    3年前

You can ask your builder how he handles this type of weather. Some concrete guys use calcium chloride, some use other chemical additives, some will use straw some will use blankets. I would not be be concerned about calcium chloride causing the rebar to rot as that will not be an issue. No one is saying to blindly follow the builder but he does this for a living and if you do not trust him find someone else now.

Mike Thompsonさんはmillworkmanさんにお礼を言いました
PR