Houzz Logo Print
toxcrusadr

How to Add a Floor Drain to a Second Floor Laundry Room?

toxcrusadr
3年前
最終更新:3年前

I had a minor flood from an overflowing sink in my laundry room and would like to add a floor drain to that room. The floor was vinyl sheet laminate and it plus the underlayment has been removed, down to OSB subfloor. There is a basement underneath with suspended ceiling which is handy for accessing all the utilities.

We're looking at what floor to replace with and were considering vinyl plank. However, it seems that a floor drain would require a slight tilt in the floor so it will drain, or at least a depression around the drain, which would be difficult or impossible to lay rigid vinyl plank onto.

I would also like to more or less waterproof around the molding when it goes back down, so water can't seep under the walls to adjacent rooms.

So I have three questions: 1) What do I have to do to make it drain before putting down floor covering, and 2) what kind of flooring would be best? Finally, 3) Can molding be caulked in place, and how does that affect floor choices?

コメント (4)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3年前

You'll spend more money installing the drain than you will replacing the floor the next time the sink overflows.

• Seabornman
    3年前

Im going to do the same thing in my house. I figure with snap-together flooring and caulked perimeter, most of the water will make it to the drain, even though floor is level. The difference in my installation is that I'm putting a drain that is open direct to a crawl space, so if water flows, it just splashes on the concrete below. If you want a real drain, you'll have to install a trap, and of course, connect to the nearest available drain pipe. The trap will dry out if it doesn't get water, then you'll wonder "what's that smell?".

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3年前

As Joe said no drain needed unless the laundry room is on the 2nd floor you will install the pan with it.

The pipe can burst anywhere if a toilet overflows you not gonna start putting floor drains into the bathroom.

Here is an example it happened to one of my customers, the nut on the toilet bowl cracked on the 2nd floor while they were away, flooded the entire house (2 floors +finished basement) 100k in damage.

I can give you a few more horror stories when the metal dishwasher hose bursts on it's own without the appliance being in running mode.

The moral of the story is and it's everyone should keep in mind that when going away to shut the main water valve off near the meter and never run dishwashers or washers when you going out and no one will be home.

Most importantly check the water lines under the sinks from time to time, being in this business you come across base cabinets when people keep stuffing stuff under there and at times the lines get damaged or kinked, etc and it's only a matter of time before they burst.

Good luck

• PRO
    IRP Architects Pty Ltd
    3年前

It could be expensive as has been mentioned. If you would still like to do it, however, I would recommend the following.

Add tiles that climb the base of the walls 3-5cm sealed with the caulk so that water will not cause damage the lower walls if water builds up. Then you could add a floor waste towards the entrance of the room so that in the case of a build up it can avoid leaving the room and damaging the rest of the house even if the room doesn't have slanted flooring; water would still build up in the laundry room without the slant though, so you would want tiles or a strong water resistant floor base.

Let me know how you feel about this.

PR