Houzz Logo Print
ec_md

Boring brown bathroom help

ec_md
3年前

Looking to update this very, very brown bathroom. I was hoping to do something with paint, changing fixtures, etc but now I’m worried it won’t look right with the brown tile in the shower. Suggestions?

コメント (19)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3年前
    最終更新:3年前

How much money do you want to spend. IMO the darl brow cabinet needs to go for sure I need to see the whole space including the floor for any more help IMO you do need a modern toilet too but that is it until I can see the whole space.

• katinparadise
    3年前

I would start by painting in an off white that leans beige. Maybe SW Neutral Ground. Then change the mirror for one with a brushed nickel frame and paint the cabinet over the toilet in a lighter color to brighten it up. Do you have a palm tree print because you're somewhere subtropical?

• Lisa McLeod
    3年前

Painting a cream color, remove medicine chest, replace with one shelves, chalk paint the mirror a beigy color, new colorful art, you will be shocked, it will feel totally different.

• Cheryl Smith
    3年前

I really like blues with dark brown and would paint the walls and ceiling a blue or a couple shades of blues. (The blue in your tissue box is nice) Get new towels and accessories. Look for art with some of your chosen color in it. Blue sky...sea. Or chose another color you like. Purple? Green? the tile you have is really neutral you don't have to continue with just brown in the room. Those things a real cheap and easy to do. But I also really hate pedestal sinks and would look for a new vanity.

• Design Girl
    3年前

Is the large shower tile brown or greenish. Looks a bit green to me.

• shirlpp
    3年前

The brown cabinet and brown framed artwork can be removed. Artwork with a bit of subtle color would be nice.

• ec_md
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thanks all! I’ve added a couple of additional photos looking out in to the hall and showing the floor which is the same hardwood we have throughout the rest of the house.

In answer to the question, the tiles In the shower are two different shades of brown. And we live in NC so not tropical. I’ve had that picture forever and honestly just put it in there when we moved in bc this bathroom was farther down on my “to do“ list.

It‘s a small space and is the powder room/guest bath.

• katinparadise
    3年前

The floors are beautiful. Any thoughts on the suggestions you were given?

• RedRyder
    3年前

Painting the whole room ivory and taking down the brown cabinet over the toilet is a good start. If you have the funds to change the sink and toilet, go for the more modern look suggested. Paint is the cheapest miracle a homeowner has in their tool box.

• tartanmeup
    3年前

Gorgeous floor! What do you mean by changing the fixtures? Toilet and sink or light fixtures? I wouldn't let the brown tile boss me around too much. I'd get a tension rod and hang a wonderful curtain in front of the shower doors to hide the shower. (I removed our glass shower doors because they were a pain to clean.) I'd simply paint the ceiling, walls, mirror surround and cabinet a nice warm white that coordinates with the white sink and toilet and find colourful artwork I loved for the wall.

• ec_md
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thank you all for the suggestions! I am definitely removing the cabinet and will probably paint either a very pale blue or grey depending on what looks best once it’s up on the wall.

Working now on finding a vanity replacement and some art work. I may replace those shower doors.

I’m loving this vanity lighting and trying to coordinate mixing metals to add some character while also not looking crazy 😜

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3年前

PLease do not use Edison bulb lighting it will cast a yelloe glow on wverything and that ois not good get a nice LED fixture with bulbs in 4000K perfect light and no yelloe glow. Also please do not hang a shower curtain in front of the shower doors just plain tacky.

• katinparadise
    3年前

The fixture is very pretty but Patricia is right about the sickly yellow light of the traditional Edison bulbs. You can buy them in a 4000K LED, which is a much cleaner light.

• Design Girl
    3年前
    最終更新:3年前

If your tiles are brown, I'd paint the walls a pale blue as it looks great with brown. Make sure you paint the ceiling over the shower "ceiling white". I agree with getting rid of the brown wall shelf as it is too large for your space. You could put some glass shelving there, or a "train rack" to hold extra towels. I disagree with needing to change out the toilet and vanity. What you have is the Kohler Devonshire and they are still a good seller with a smaller footprint than most. A vanity may really eat up the space in there. I wouldn't bother changing out the shower doors unless you are going to do a full demo of the shower. Frameless doors are expensive and really would not do much improve the shower if the tile remains. If this shower is not used much, I would consider covering it up with a nice shower curtain.

• Laura Hill
    3年前

What about removing the wall cabinet; get lighter looking mirror/medicine cabinet (?) over sink, and a fun wallpaper? This one is from Anthropologie.

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    3年前

Painting the walls will definitely help. You could paint them ivory or maybe a pale blue. I would definitely remove the brown cabinet, or at least replace it with something smaller. Also, getting a new mirror with a thin, silver frame will help lighten up the bathroom too.

• decoenthusiaste
    3年前

Paint the ceiling "Haint Blue" (close to the ceiling below and the walls a creamy white that works with the tlle grout.

Country House Washington CT · 詳細

• ptreckel
    3年前

I like the wallpaper suggestion, especially one that nods to the brown tile...and then a blue ceiling! That would be lovely!