Houzz Logo Print
jeremy_segermeister17

On to exterior elevation and color?

We are designing a new custom house in the Bay Area. We have made some good progress on the layout and have the exterior dimensions pretty much locked. We now need to get the elevation colors/materials selected and sent in for a "design review". The guidelines state that we need to minimize the use of white.

Does anyone have any suggestions for colors/materials? I'm attaching one of the houses we have as inspiration.

This is the elevation today - all colors/materials are just a placeholder and are expected to change.

Favorite house:

Guidelines

コメント (20)

• WestCoast Hopeful
    4年前

Now that I see the rendering from the read it seems super awkward how the ADU and your patio are same. There is no privacy there at all.

It’s tricky because the house you aspire to is mostly white and the one you have in elevations also is. I get it can change colour but I think you need to find images of homes you do like first to know what you like. The white was super nice in my opinion.

Our house is all grey with black trim, windows and doors. Not sure if it’s the right grey or not on your guidelines. Is that from an HOA?

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    4年前

Here are some renderings that we did in our office. The one house, we did lots of color options to show our clients..........We did the rendering for the red house, but our clients decided on green.....

Ask your architect to do color options for you............

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

Here is the green house

• WestCoast Hopeful
    4年前

Beverly it can’t be white...

• Jeremy Seger
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Yes, it can't be white based on the area we live in (its not an HOA, but we live in what is called a "design review district" and has a lot of guidelines).

Also, regarding the privacy - we decided that we most likely will only use the ADU for family, so privacy is less of a concern. Also the deck is just a placeholder, we can always do something different.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    4年前

If the ADU is for your use then all good.

• Kristin S
    4年前

Here are some modern farmhouses in colors that meet your criteria...

• WestCoast Hopeful
    4年前

Here's our dusk photo. I guess photographers like the light???

Edgemont - North Vancouver · 詳細

• Mrs. S
    4年前

I rarely comment on things like this, but I found this gorgeous house. I dream of a soft, buttery colored farmhouse. To me, I see more "authentic", less "modern."

• Joe Macker
    4年前

Why would you build an ADU for family instead of building a large single unit house without the ADU?

• Jeremy Seger
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Size restrictions. The ADU was the only way I was getting the square footage I wanted on my lot size.

• Katie B.
    4年前

White and black is the thing right now, but a beige modern farmhouse is nice too. Board and batten siding and standing seam metal roof

• Joe Macker
    4年前

That is odd. Most city codes restrict total size of the structure on a lot and an ADU is always considered part of the main structure. It is never a separate house and the lot can never be subdivided by considering the ADU as a separate house.

• Jeremy Seger
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

California changed the ADU laws in January where the square footage of the ADU does not count toward your square footage. So I’m able to build a 2,000sqft house plus 800 sqft attached ADU.

• PRO
  • shead
    4年前

What about a green or greenish gray like one of these?

Front of House · 詳細

Traditional Exterior · 詳細

Bluegrass Living · 詳細

A RESIDENCE for a WOODED SITE · 詳細

• Jeremy Seger
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Thanks Kevin! I am getting something similar from my designer, but was just looking for some suggestions so I can go into our design meeting prepared.

• PRO
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4年前

If you love the house you say is your favorite why not do that but just add one more color with one of the white sections I am wondering why you did not build that house , that one is so lovely and simple and yors is so convoluterd and not simple

PR