Houzz Logo Print
webuser_766459401

Need advice selecting exterior house colors for Arts&Crafts bungalow

Sandra
4年前

We are having to replace the roof on our Arts & Crafts bungalow and are currently planning to use CertainTeed Grand Manor roofing shingles. We are primarily looking at Gatehouse Slate for the color but open to other suggestions. Would like advice on new colors for the exterior of the home (thinking lighter than what is on the house now), which is stucco on the bottom and shakes on top. We will be painting the gutters to complement the shingles and house colors, so at this point don't know what that color will be. Thanks!

コメント (11)

• julieste
    4年前

To me you need to ground the bottom half of your house (the area below the belt line) because right now the entire house appears to be floating. I'd do that a darker color than the upper.

Are the windows white vinyl that needs to be worked around, or can you change that color?

Sandraさんはjuliesteさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4年前

Our house was a similar mix of materials, We painted the stucco 'burlap' by Ralph Lauren- its a neutral tan/ grey that looks like it could just be raw stucco. The shingles were a dark green brown (sorry, we mixed ourselves and matched) burgundy windows and Chocolate trim.

SandraさんはHALLETT & Co.さんにお礼を言いました
  • Sandra
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. To answer Julie's question the windows are wooden so they can be painted any color. Currently thinking we want to lighten the look of the house so considering a much lighter color on the stucco with a light blue/green color (BM Greyhound?) on the shakes to pick up on the Grand Manor gatehouse slate roof. But unsure if that will still make the house appear as if it's "floating." It may help that we intend to landscape with shrubs below the row of windows so there won't be so much of the house below the belt line showing in that area.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4年前

I adjusted your photo so we can actually see the house.

Maybe think about a color scheme that is Craftsman but updated in appearance.

SandraさんはBeverlyFLADezinerさんにお礼を言いました
  • houssaon
    4年前

Love you house. I can see it in a tan color with green on the windows. I like these colors from BM with the roof color you have chosen.

Sandraさんはhoussaonさんにお礼を言いました
  • Sandra
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Thank you Beverly for adjusting the photo- what a difference!

I also really like the colors that you and houssaon have suggested. I'd like to stay with a color scheme that is Craftsman but that also brightens and lifts the house while showing off the Craftsman details. Right now it just appears as one darkish mass. Our weather tends toward, cloudy and grey more often than not, which doesn't help. I can see that colors in the greenish family work nicely and are Craftsman appropriate. Would colors that have a bluish grey tint also work?

Thanks so much to both of you for your suggestions.

• houssaon
    4年前

I was thinking of blues, too. Still keep the green for the window trim. Look at BM Williamsburg and Classic collection for colors.

• houssaon
    4年前

Here are some colors that might work.

• ashtonchic
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

Here is an interesting color story that would look good with your roof.

My Own House · 詳細

Not my house!!!

Sandraさんはashtonchicさんにお礼を言いました
  • Sandra
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Thanks for the additional suggested colors. I was a bit concerned with using gatehouse slate for the roof but it looks like it will work with greenish/bluish/greyish colors as well as lighter neutral versions of those colors.

PR