Houzz Logo Print
kmcgowan35

Saying goodbye to 'old yeller' (wood floor stain questions)

chicagoans
2年前
最終更新:2年前

I have new hardwood floors in one of my front rooms and entry! Woot! Tomorrow the rest of the wood floors get sanded, then all will be finished/sealed. (They all flow into each other; see floorplan below.)

I have warm maple cabinets in my kitchen, which doesn't get much natural light. I'm going to have every room repainted, probably to a light greige (but stuck with the current granite and backsplash. Updating to sell but prob not soon given the current craziness.)

I'm thinking of going with light floors - just a neutral / clear finish. Designer coming tomorrow to look, but wanted your thoughts too! Flooring guy uses DuraSeal or Minwax (he left a color fan with both.)

What do you think about going light? TIA!

Here's how the rooms flow:

Here are the new floors (pardon the mess!) You can see how there is an old stained hand rail/stair treads in the old yellowed stain. I'm thinking of just painting those to match the trim.

New next to old: I really would like to NOT go with the same yellowy look. This picture shows the most accurate representation of the old floor color, more so than following pics.

Old: these will be sanded/refinished.

Looking into kitchen with old floors - a huge mess right now! Walls will be painted a much lighter color.

Step to mudroom is right next to tile.

コメント (24)

• 2年前

If the floors were previously stained, the stain may remain deep in the grain. I love my natural tone oak hardwood floors, but if the grain will pop too much fro old stain, consider a light stain so the grain does not stand out too much. The yellow tone of the present floors may be the aging of old oil base finish. If it is not too much trouble, I would keep the wood part of the stairs wood - its a good look. The railing does not have to be a perfect match - mine isn't:)

I agree to have the floor guy do some samples on the actual floor - preferably in a closet.

chicagoansさんはさんにお礼を言いました
  • 2年前

from what I understand it is really important to choose a very good stain mix and finish. I have heard good things about Loba and Bona. Have not heard good things about minwax-sorry

there are several flooring blogs out there...but one idea is to make a custom mix of the 3 stains to create a medium dark grey/brown blend.

here an interesting blog: (not mine)floor finishing

chicagoansさんはさんにお礼を言いました
  • 2年前

The old floors needs more sanding before you apply any stain or finish. The grains still have stains in it.

chicagoansさんはさんにお礼を言いました
  • 2年前

Find a floor guy with more expertise. Someone familiar with better finishing products. One way of finding those are to ask the product distributor to list who buys from them in your area. Minwax is junk. It takes experience to properly use a product. Your floor guy has zero for the products you want on your floors. Step back and do the research to reach a quality result. Here's a start.

chicagoansさんはさんにお礼を言いました
  • 2年前

Take a look at Bona Naturale'. Its a very durable finish and clear like you described.

chicagoansさんはさんにお礼を言いました
  • 2年前

thank you all! He's sanding the old floors now. I'll ask about Bona products and see if he has expertise. I'll go out and buy them myself (with a mask and gloves on!) if I need to.

• 2年前

Bona Traffic HD if you want the floors not to yellow over time.

chicagoansさんはさんにお礼を言いました
  • 2年前

In addition to Bona Naturale, have a look at Bona NaturalSeal and NordicSeal. I disagree with the idea to stain the floor to disguise stain left in the deep grain. I'd rather have the color I want all over, than to choose a darker color to accommodate a little dark grain here and there.

chicagoansさんはさんにお礼を言いました
  • 2年前

I really appreciate everyone's responses! I may go with a classic brown as suggested, but I'll try a couple of samples near my cabinets to see how they look. (I think I was enamored of how they all look,without stain new and sanded.) Also good news: he doesn't use Minwax - that was just in the fan deck of colors; he does use Bona. And the old floors, now sanded, look just like the new ones (the grain isn't any darker than the new boards.)

thanks again!

• 2年前

We just had ours done, chose Duraseal early American with polyshading. A mixture of old flooring and new flooring woven in. The floors are stained Early American, and then the polyurethane is stained as well. The poly shading added a depth to the color. The result is gorgeous, it is a very nice medium, no yellow at all. We love it.

chicagoansさんはさんにお礼を言いました
  • 2年前

: Early American is one of the colors we discussed today. :) With your poly shading - is that the same color? Thanks for the scoop.

• 2年前

Yes, Early American from Duraseal. It is exactly a medium neutral. No yellow but no red either. I tried to take a picture but it doesn't look right. The floor guy said the poly shading will help avoid the yellowing of the polyurethane as time passes.

chicagoansさんはさんにお礼を言いました
  • 2年前

Please take note of what commenters above have said. If you don't want yellowing in the long term, you're going to need a waterborne topcoat. Bona Naturale is an excellent one, but it is typically meant for floors with no stain to attain a natural wood appearance. Bona has several other waterborne finishes including ones meant to be used with stain, read more here: https://www.bona.com/en-US/Bona-Professional/Products/Coatings/Waterborne-Finishes-and-Sealers/

It sounds like you are up against a time deadline with this, but there are a number of threads here at Houzz that address this issue if you would like to do more research. You'll find that the oil-based finishes are somewhat more durable but yellow in time. The water-based finishes are the only ones that can hope to achieve a long-term non-yellowing finish according to some of the flooring experts who regularly comment in these forums.

chicagoansさんはさんにお礼を言いました
  • 2年前

Update: I'm going with Early American. We put samples near my kitchen island to see how they look with the cabinets, and my designer (a dear friend whose taste I trust FAR more than my own!) and I agreed on the Early American stain. I'm repainting every room a lighter color (probably BM Baby Fawn) so the kitchen will be lighter than it is now.

Floor guy will finish sanding today, then stain, and then the final step is Synteko Classic in satin. I've looked up reviews for Synteko and it seems to get good reviews, except for a strong odor. We're moving out for a day or two (lucky for me, my brother lives nearby and will take in both me and my 65lb dog!) The fun continues!

• 2年前

Last view of the freshly sanded floors, before staining...

Prepping to move out during COVID-19 :)

• 2年前

Be careful with Synteko Classic. It adds an AMBER tone (yellow) colour to the floor!

http://synteko.com.au/synteko-classic/

Read the first paragraph of the link provided: "This finish has an amber colour, enhancing natural wood colours."

After carefully choosing the Early American, the Classic is going to DARKEN the colour you just chose. Please, please, please make sure you have viewed the stain with a coat of finish over it. If you have not, you will have made your choice without the most important factor - the finish.

And question: If your refinisher uses Bona, why are you using Synteko?

chicagoansさんはさんにお礼を言いました
  • 2年前

Thank you for the info SJ. I misquoted him earlier; he said he 'could' use Bona, then when I asked for the product for the finish he said Synteko. And he uses Bona to clean. Ugh this is so much more complex than I thought, but I guess that's no surprise.

• 2年前

Did you view your stain samples WITH the coat of finish over them?

chicagoansさんはさんにお礼を言いました
  • 2年前

SJ; Yes, looked good!

• 2年前

You are quite fortunate to have commenting on your thread here. This is a well-known expert on flooring finishes here in the Houzz forums. If your floor is already done, then it's too late, but if you still have time, please push for the Bona finish. As mentioned above, many of these finishes turn yellow over time. Bona's waterborne finishes are some of the best on market to avoid this. As your title mentions, you are "saying good bye to old yeller . . . " but could actually be replacing your finish with one that will once again yellow for you over time.

It really sounds like you don't want the hassle of dealing with the contractor, but we're just trying to spare you heartache on down the road. I had a similar instance in a recent flooring job where I wanted a product I had researched would be best, the floor guys said I didn't need it, and now I have a huge problem on my hands because their promises were useless, and I have a lot of staining going on. You're the one who has to live with this floor, not them, so they just want the easiest way out and possibly the most economical products so their job margains may be higher.

chicagoansさんはさんにお礼を言いました
  • 9か月前

Bumping this. Curious how your floors turned out? I apparently have red oak floors on my main floor (tbd white or red oak upstairs) that are getting refinished in two weeks and I’m interested in Early American. Thanks!

chicagoansさんはさんにお礼を言いました
  • 9か月前
    最終更新:9か月前

Loba EasyPrime with Supra 2K AT is another great water-based option that will not yellow over time, and it outpaces Bona in terms of expected longevity. You will probably never need to refinish your floors again for 30 years if you get Supra 2K AT.

Looking at Early American stain samples online, it would appear that this stain alone can introduce a yellow tone in some cases, so be sure to get a sample done in advance on the exact wood you have with all the clear coats added so you can see the final product for approval. You might ask for a clear coat only to compare, as red oak has a warm natural tone to it already that will darken some with any clear coat.

chicagoansさんはさんにお礼を言いました
  • 9か月前

I love how they turned out! I can't speak to the longevity or durability because I sold the house almost exactly 1 year ago. (I hope the new owners love it as much as my family and I did!) I realize colors can be hard to judge in photos, especially online, but if you are interested, there are several pics with the refinished floors in the listing photos here.