Houzz Logo Print
nicola_griffin

Roof covering for a flat roof kitchen extension?

Nicola
4年前

We have a dilemma over which roof covering to use for our 3mx6m flat roof kitchen extension. Architect has put rubber in the spec but the builder has had bad experiences with this and would prefer felt/asphalt? Our e tension has 2 roof lights and a parapet around it. It wont be used for walking on. What are people’s thoughts with regard to durability and longevity?

コメント (3)

• Ribena Drinker
    4年前

We have rubber on ours, I think it's vastly superior to felt/asphalt if applied correctly and properly bonded by someone competent. Alternatively I understand that fibreglass is an option, but I'm not sure how costly it is.

• rinked
    4年前

We have chosen rubber too, north facing extension with rooflight. Could put some white gravel on top for insulation (the rubber looks a bit wobbly, but that's because we installed it ourselves, lol) and soundproofing.

• PRO
    VORBILD Architecture
    4年前

Hi Nicola - we used both types and if correctly applied, and the flashings are done properly,. you'll be fine with both. Having said that, its easier to apply a felt roof wrongly than it is to apply a rubber roof. Ask your builder for a cost comparison and check the guarantees for both - I should have stressed that more - do get the roof installed by someone who can give you a guarantee, please! ;-)