Houzz Logo Print
dcarendt

Backsplash re-do/revisited

dcarendt
4年前
最終更新:4年前

After putting the project on hold for a year, we came across a linen 4x12 tile that may finally pair with our warm counters and maple cabinets - would love some thoughts to assure we are on the right direction or keep looking. Thank you!

コメント (31)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4年前

These pictures are too close up..........cant tell much.

• dcarendt
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

How's this?

• PRO
    FORBES MASTERS
    4年前

I think you should keep looking...UNLESS you change your cabinet hardware to silver metal and use a darker grout to pick up on the counters. Great luck!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4年前

Ummm.. hate to say it but I dont see it working with anything else in the space. It would kinda look like IMO you stuck white tile in a beige and gold room, its more earth tones I think.Have you ever thought to just remove that back and not have any at all?

• Ashley Jarvis
    4年前

Hi dcarendt. It sounds like you're wanting to keep your current oak cabinets and warm granite counter tops, is that correct? Do you have any additional photos of your kitchen/theme? The flooring will also contribute to the overall look.

Just based on the oak cabinets and granite you showed, I think a traditional a cream or grey would probably work better.

The tiles you found would look great if you either painted the top cabinets white or replaced the granite counter tops with a lighter color.

• clt3
    4年前

Those cabinets aren’t oak - they look like maple.

• dcarendt
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Cabinets are maple. Here are a couple other views of the space. Floors are red oak, no stain. Tiles are more yellow/linen in color vs what is showing screen. Grout color = puling a darker color out

of the granite.

tile against white

• LDJHouston
    4年前

I have similar granite with wood cabinets and have searched (unsuccessfully so far) for a new backsplash . Honestly, I think the one you have shown is too white.

Have you considered a smaller format that has a black or charcoal segment in it like the one on the left in photo below to pick up the counter? I think it might have looked less busy with lighter grout.

• Ashley Jarvis
    4年前

https://www.mariakillam.com/creamsubwaytile/ Helpful article on choosing cream tiles.

https://growitbuildit.com/update-a-kitchen-w-out-painting-oak-cabinets/ Here's someone who had a similar kitchen and updated with new paint, textured-cream subway tiles, grey grout, and an updated kitchen island.

dcarendtさんはAshley Jarvisさんにお礼を言いました
  • dcarendt
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Ashley - the Maria article was the original inspiration for the simpler tile direction - busy granite / simple tile. Although we don't have oak, your grow article leans more on the visual direction we are trying to achieve. Merci

• stillpitpat
    4年前

To my eye, this is tricky. The cabs and counter work well enough together, but finding a cream that is warm enough to work with the counter but not be too yellow or taupe for the cabs is going to be hard. Would you consider a warm charcoal?

• eld6161
    4年前

IMHO the granite doesn’t work with the maple cabinets. Would redoing both the counter and backsplash be out of the question? Your cabinets look to be good quality.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4年前

I think the one you have still looks a little too white. Head over to Tilebar and grab some of their samples of Byzantine Bianco Flat, Lancaster 3x12 in Ivory, and the cadenza line. (you can also search by color) here are the first two

these are both 3x12. I like the matte one done in the herringbone. Or a stacked layout rather than an offset would also look good

https://tilebar.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=cadenza

check out these for some samples too

similar set up like your kitchen, they did a tannish glass tile in a herringbone

this was my old granite w/samples from CleTile.

you can see how white the white is compared to the Parchment color below it. even the Rust color or the Black looks good.

Have you thought about doing a black slate or basalt tiles?

This granite is darker than yours, but I love the Basalt subway tiles. I think w/your lighter cabinets and flooring this would make a nice contrast

look into Seneca Tiles. they have some beautiful earth toned glazes. this one above is a blend, but you can do one color.

dcarendtさんはBeth H. :さんにお礼を言いました
  • dcarendt
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

So many options for consideration .... just got back from a run to our local tile store and picked a couple of these up for color. L to R Biscuit, Linen and meringue for comparison. Biscuit does not look as yellow in the kitchen as it does on screen. 2nd photo NOT color corrected.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4年前

linen/meringue look ok w/the granite. how do they look w/the cabinets on your end?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4年前

i like far left and far right.............what are those?

• dcarendt
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

3 on left are 3x6 subway in biscuit, middle 2 are 4x10 Linen (original tile from post), then single 3x12 meringue tile (right front of linen)

• cat_ky
    4年前

I like the far left tile, and I think the size of it looks nicer than those too big white ones you have there. However, I do think that either of the other two smaller tiles on the left would probably work too. I just like the first one best with your cabinets and countertops.

dcarendtさんはcat_kyさんにお礼を言いました
  • lafdr
    4年前

I like the tile you posted at the beginning of this thread. :)

• dcarendt
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Looks like we are leaning toward a subway tile in biscuit - pattern and grout color TBD.

• eam44
    4年前

It looks so much cleaner, brighter, and more modern than what you’ve got now. Consider going one shade deeper too.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4年前

Is there one shade darker than biscuit?

• ILoveRed
    4年前

This is my vanity in my old house with the same granite you have. It was closer to your color than the picture shows. I used a simple biscuit colored subway tile. Not too bad.

• sunshine_31
    4年前

I love the biscuit!

• dcarendt
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

UPDATE - attached is the first section laid out - tile is more biscuit/warmer color than imaged. You can see the difference vs. old in background.

• dcarendt
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

UPDATE - Just finished tiling. Now time for grout - designer gave us 3 to pick from - Ivory, Truffle or Biscuit. I feel biscuit is too light, but not sure of the contrast of the truffle color. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

• emmarene9
    4年前

I like Biscuit but I would wait to hear from Beth.

• eam44
    4年前

Good job!

Biscuit is not too light, and it's what I would choose, but your other choices lead me to think that you are interested in a contrasting grout that pulls brown into your bs - is that correct? If so, consider overall appearance and think about whether you want a uniform look (light grout for light tile) or the more pixelated look of really seeing those grout lines.

If you have any imperfections in the tile spacing, you will see them very clearly with a contrasting grout.

• Katie B.
    4年前

I’m pretty sure this tile is from Home Depot Ivy Hill subway in vanilla (3x12)

LOL just realized this was an old post. Tile looks great!.

• Kathi Steele
    4年前

Same color as the tile.

PR