Houzz Logo Print
homesweethome360

Problems with 90% furnace in cold attic - how to solve?

Hoping for advice on the best replacement for our attic furnace - it broke due to a cracked heat exchanger in cold temperatures. Two well-respected HVAC companies have given very different advice on how to prevent the problem in the future, and we don't know who to believe!

1. First Company: Told me to get an 80% furnace. We don't want to do that, since we're using expensive propane heat. If we want to get a 90%+ furnace, they said they'll need to build a mini insulated room around the furnace to keep it from getting as cold as the rest of the attic.

2. Second Company: Said it is fine to get a 90%+ furnace. They will install some sort of heating source inside the furnace and along the drainage pipe to prevent freezing. The first company has never heard of using heating sources in this way before.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

コメント (7)

• mike_home
    4年前

The second company knows how to install a 90%+ efficiency furnace in an insulated attic, and the second company does not.

A high efficiency furnace produces water condensate that could freeze if the attic is very cold. The condensate drain pipe can be kept work using electrical heat tape. It is much cheaper than building an insulated furnace room in the attic.

• homesweethome360
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Thank you! That sounds right!

• PRO
    Michael Menn Ltd.
    4年前

Depending on the code being used by your local jurisdiction, most newer codes require an enclosure around attic installed furnaces. Additionally, the enclosure will require a smoke/carbon monoxide detector, a pan under the furnace in case of leaking, and I would recommend adding an moisture alarm also.

• sktn77a
    4年前

The heat exchanger cracking is not usual and should be covered by the manufacturers warranty (usually20 years or lifetime).

The condensate drain tube freezing is the bane of attic installed hi-eff furnaces and can only really be avoided by using heat tape all along the drain (which is kinda difficult if it runs down inside a wall).

I've never heard of a code requiring a separate enclosure for an attic mounted furnace (certainly not where I live). Can you post an example of this?

• homesweethome360
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Unfortunately I've been told it's not covered for us because the original homeowner did not register the furnace. Has anyone heard of a way around this oversight?

I've not heard of a code either, and neither company mentioned this as part of their plan.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

HomeSweetHome360,

Whether the unit is truly covered by warranty would have to be investigated. In some cases the warranty coverage *if any* can vary among specific brands, and further among different models.

If the manufacturer was Goodman / Amana / or Daikin --- the following would *likely* apply. Outside of these terms (in the picture below) things that can disqualify you would be 'improper installation'. In addition, the manufacturer will not cover labor, nor will they allow you to do the work yourself. You will need a licensed HVAC contractor.

If you don't have either the aforementioned brands, the warranty coverage if any can widely vary when you are not the original home owner... or the one who purchased and had the 'original equipment' installed. (or if you prefer -- the previous owner of the home was the one who purchased and installed the furnace)

In addition to all that --- Furnaces are a *special case*. So do not think something of this length of warranty would apply to an air conditioner. (Things can change this was posted in 2020)

Realize, I am NOT saying you specifically are trying to do this yourself. I am looking many miles down the road when I say this.

I service the Katy, Texas area.

• mike_home
    4年前

Even if the original homeowner registered the furnace, it is unlikely the warranty would be transferable to a new homeowner. In the case where the warranty is transferable, it usually requires a payment to the manufacturer.

Call you local code official about for the code requirements. You should have the contractor follow the code requirements even if you don't plan to file for permits.

PR