Houzz Logo Print
sam_potter37

Pink wall in my yard?

Sam Potter
4年前

Guys! What do you think of the far wall getting painted pink? The yard isnt fully planted up up yet, fish pond goes in this weekend, and I still need to rebuild the shed and get a canopy built. I've had external power points put in for lighting and a water feature this week, and it's getting there. Below is the kind of pink I was thinking of. Not quite bubblegum.

コメント (18)

• PRO
    Walk Interior Architecture & Design
    4年前

give it a go - it's only paint!

• Sam Potter
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Thanks both. You know me so well Jonathan ;-)
    I wonder if Jonathan the goldfish will inherit your design eye? I'm going to make sure he clashes horribly with his dark green water butt home.

• E D
    4年前

I really like the far wall as it is! Love how the black parts work with the red brick.

As hinted before, I am a little concerned by the (possible lack of) strength of the wall on the left...

• Sam Potter
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Hi ED. It does look alarming doesn't it? The curved top was once topped with several courses of loose brick, which we have removed, apart from nearest to next doors back wall. Thee bricks, though they look loose, are tied into the wall of a lean to outhouse on the other side, so can't be removed. And because of that outhouse, the crack lower down in the wall is less of an issue.

• Sonia
    4年前

I love brick, the untidier and rustic the better for me! If you paint it then it will weather and you would have to keep painting it, as Jonathan says. Let your plants do the talking. I would go with soft shades for gate etc but black for the downpipes. Black recedes and it also just looks right. Are you only having one goldfish? If yes, then get a couple more as they are shoal creatures and need the security of other fish around them. I have 8 fish in my raised pond and I call them my little babies - I know, rather sad haha! :-))

• Sam Potter
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Hi Sonia. I'm probably getting 3-4 fish, it depends on their size, but I've only named one in advance ;-)
    Re wall painting, there's a lot of red brick in my yard. I thought one non-red wall would be nice. But I agree re drain pipes and gate etc. They all need painting too.

• Sonia
    4年前

Sam that’s good about fish. I bought the teeniest baby fish and all of them are about 6” long already! I do feed them daily. Get a Shabunkin, they are multicoloured goldfish which will totally not go with anything, but they are so cute! Good luck with it all.

• rachelmidlands
    4年前

Hi Sam. Funny you mention this pink as I’m currently decorating a feature wall in my sons bedroom with a similar colour (see pic), it’s his favorite colour and he loves it and I can see why, it’s bright but warm and cosy at the same time (although I may have a dilemma about it soon.....). With your brick wall I agree with Jonathan and say don’t paint it because there’s a lot of prep and ongoing maintenance. As said repointing will tidy it up and a good algae and mould remover such as Wet n Forget will keep it looking fresh (be careful using chemicals around plants tho). How about painting a large sheet of marine ply in the pink and batten it to the wall? or painting a large picture frame? Might make it easier to attach wall pots or ornaments as well. I actually think the colour will look great against the brickwork but choose the colour carefully and perhaps go more towards a terracotta pink, I think Valspar can mix up garden colours? Or you could let flowers do the talking... I had a lovely pink begonia this year, just ridded it out tho ready for winter bedding and spring bulbs but I took a pic. Here’s my brightest possible pink paint I could find bedroom and begonia:))

• Sam Potter
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Great colour rachelmidlands. I've used it in my kitchen (legs of table and inside pantry door) and in the inside of my front door.

• EE BB
    4年前

Hi Sam. Long time lurker of your project. Loving everything you’ve done. For the walls, I agree with cleaning and pointing up and seeing what you think then. Cinder block, and I wouldn’t hesitate to say yes to paint. But these old red bricks are lovely.

Any pictures of the pink inside the door and kitchen? I will look at them and only wish I had your taste, tenacity and vision.

• Sam Potter
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

EE BB aw thanks. I have been wisely guided by the incredible talented people who belong to the Houzz community.
    The wall I'm thinking of painting is new brick, The three old brick walls I'm intending to keep unpainted.
    Here's a pic of the coral paint.

• rachelmidlands
    4年前

Tried to find some inspo images of a floating wall panel in garden without much luck but here’s a couple of pink walls:) not necessarily in this colour tho. Just thinking a large square block of colour with a shadow gap and plant or two in front it would look fab. Even better if it’s lit up as well:) If you did decide to paint the bricks then I’d wait till summer as exterior bricks need to be really well dried out and prepped so paint will adhere properly but painting a panel and fixing to wall can be done in a weekend and give you instant colour. I remember your front door and Kitchen Sam...awesome...always love your bold use of colour:)

• Sam Potter
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Good point re weather Rachelmidlands. Not a decision I need to rush into.

• EE BB
    4年前

The coral paintwork looks fab, Sam.

• Jules Mc
    4年前

I love your old rustic brick walls, Sam but the new one is pretty utilitarian looking. I looked when you first posted and didn't really have anything useful to add (doesn't normally stop me I know!!) but looking again I love the colour of your hosepipe and could really see that back wall in a similar yellow. Still vibrant but toning in really well with your greenery. Just a thought!

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4年前

If this were me - I’d hang a large piece of marine ply that I could try various painted colours on ... maybe Railings or Green Smoke if there’s a plethora of bright flowers going in front ?

• Juliet Docherty
    4年前

I wouldn't put a pink wall in. What you have is a really natural earthy palette and it's a small space. The bricks look lovely, the pink could look contrived and a bit odd.