Houzz Logo Print
jason__k

Right or Left handle fridge?

Jason K
4年前

Hi guys. Wife and I are getting a fridge and I dont know which side handle to get. We're both right handed, use to right handed fridges previously, but the layout of our kitchen (purple section is where the fridge will be) I believe left handed would be more practical as it would open towards the kitchen. Anyone right handed using a left handed fridge? thanks for the advice.

Left Handle
Right Handle

コメント (8)

• me me
    4年前

I am right handed and always had doors that I open with my left hand. This is because co-incidently my kitchens have had layouts where they worked better, like yours. This means that you are not walking around the door to access the inside of the fridge. The other interesting thing is that even though they are less common, they actually make sense for right handed people because you open the door with your left hand, but are actually reaching in to retrieve things with you right hand.

• dreamer
    4年前

Have the fridge handle on the right hand side. Hinges on the left side. Otherwise you are cutting the direct access to fridge, from the kitchen space and island.

• me me
    4年前

Yes, Dreamer, I fully agree. It works well for me.

• Kate
    4年前

Just make sure there is enough clearance to wall for door to open fully. That is needed to install and remove shelves for cleaning. Check the manual

• legendaryflame
    4年前

I have a fridge in a similar postion to you. I used to have a french door fridge. That worked well. I now have a two door hinged on the left. Iam right handed and have no trouble using it but the wider door blocks the walkway much more than the french door fridge did.

• pantrybutler
    4年前

It is good practice to have the fridge door hinge position on the same side as the wall. I would choose a fridge with the door hinge position on the left hand side (i.e the handle is on the right hand side of the door, opening to your left).

That way you have a fridge set down space immediately to the right hand side of your fridge without the fridge door getting in your way.

Make sure you leave enough space on the left hand side of the fridge to open the door enough to slide out crisper drawers and shelves etc. The manufacture will have that dimension detailed in the operating manual.

• PRO
    Lisa Elliott Interior Design
    4年前

The fridge space looks quite wide; perhaps wide enough for a French door fridge. I have one of these in my small kitchen / dining space which is in constant use with kids coming & going or sitting at the table in front of the fridge. It was the best decision we made after having a traditional single door fridge previously. the doors are 1/2 the width of a standard door therefore don't take up so much space when open & the kids are standing in front with both doors wide open contemplating their choices! If you went for a single door fridge; go for the hinge on the left for the best liveable option available given the limited space, unfortunately this still will block the laundry door.