Houzz Logo Print
corneyam

Drystack fireplace cut edge... what to do?

corneyam
4年前

I’m working on installing dry stacked stone for a fireplace surround. I’m trying to figure out what to do with the cut edge that surrounds the fireplace. The screen isn’t going to hide all of it due to its uneven shape. Any ideas? I’m sure no one else would notice it but it’s going to bug me.

コメント (12)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

As above, and if feeling brave, tape off the straightest possible line of the narrowest exposed cut side............and paint it matte black. Same paint as you'd use to paint the inside of a firebox. All three sides, and just the half inch to inch , which will reduce the look of the exposed edge and read simply as a bit more frame... After that? Stop staring at it.

A consideration of the cladding prior to setting the firebox, would have been more ideal. Calling a stone mason and paying for a knockdown of the very bulky offenders isn't a bad idea either : )

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    4年前

Knocking corners off manmade lick and stick stone is going to expose the concrete. You can already see the aggregate on the cut ends, which looks awful but at least it's a clean cut. If you're trying to keep with the modern look you could have a metal fabricator make a U-shaped "frame" of black painted 1" square stock to butt up against the cut edges and hide them.

• GreenDesigns
    4年前

Should have mitered the edges. Or bought the corner pieces. Make either one of those happen and learn your lesson.

• shirlpp
    4年前

You've done a great job! Move on - it won't be noticeable in a few months.

• PRO
    Cawood Architecture, PLLC
    4年前
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>You may have to bite the bullet and get some corner pieces-unless you feel confident in your ability to chisel and faux color the ends. At first glance it may only need to be short pieces. Also, the corner cut on the lintel would be removed in a perfect world.

If it only bugs you, you may just have to live with it. In my career I have had a few things not turn out right and I was the only one who had an issue with it-I just learned to averted my eyes
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4年前

Draw a perimeter line, cut the stone back, and install perimeter stone casing.

• branson4020
    4年前

Its lookin' great so far!

• doods
    4年前

following

• PRO
    Cawood Architecture, PLLC
    4年前

Joseph Corlett, LLC has a really good idea and could look even better than corner stones with less work...

• corneyam
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Never got around to posting the finished product. Turned out better than I could have hoped for!!!

• Laila
    2年前

How did you end up finishing the edges? Can’t tell from pic. Looks great!