Houzz Logo Print
marmalademum1

Which trees are best for growing in a pot outdoors in Edinburgh?

I would like a tree for a small courtyard to grow in a large (barrel size) pot. An attractive bark for winter interest, or an evergreen but not a cypress.

コメント (4)

• PRO
    Arthur Road Landscapes
    4年前

If your courtyard is sheltered from the wind and is not in full sun all day an Acer (Japanese maple) would work well. They come in many different leaf shapes and colours and many have very attractive bark.

marmalademum1さんはArthur Road Landscapesさんにお礼を言いました
  • Sonia
    4年前

I’m currently researching small trees to add to my garden, and a lot of them can grow in a large pot. Firstly, fruit trees grown on a dwarf rootstock don’t grow too tall, 10’ at the most, and give you lovely blossom followed by fruit. Crabapples (Malus) have stunning blossom in spring followed by fruit which the birds love, or you can make crabapple jelly from them! Cercis, the Judas Tree, has almost cerise pink blossom in early spring, followed by lovely large leaves in summer. Amelanchier is a small tree favoured by garden designers. Frothy white flowers in spring followed by berries in autumn. Cornus Souza and Florida are lovely small trees with stunning flowers (bracts really) in early summer.

i can’t think of any evergreen trees apart from conifers, but you can try shrubs and shape them into trees by removing the lower branches as it grows. Shrubs like Viburnum, Ceanothus and Photinia respond well to shaping.

I’ve tried to post some pictures but can’t seem to at the moment! Here’s the Cercis

marmalademum1さんはSoniaさんにお礼を言いました
  • Sonia
    4年前

More pics assuming Houzz loads the photos!

CORNUS KOUZA

CORNUS FLORIDA

marmalademum1さんはSoniaさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    AGI Landscapes
    4年前

Acer palmatum range of trees ie.

Katsura

Bloodgood

Garnet

Sango-kaku

As Sonia said, for evergreen, go for shrubs that can be trained,