Houzz Logo Print
gillis95

Deciding on a bookcase - Symmetry vs less distracting lines??

gillis95
4年前

This was an empty century farm house and we're starting w this empty room, my husband wants a library and writing room. It's in the back corner of the house so photo is taken from the front family room so this wall is very visible and a focal point.

On a budget but want full built-ins! So found these new designs at Ikea and are solid wood and feel so much nicer than their other types, soft close glass doors instead of the clang! Anyway there are 2 styles.

Both sets take up the same width (just 1 inch diff in total width of the units)

3 of the narrow style w doors that swing open

- more traditional look, symmetry!!! - if I have some larger pieces I can adjust the center unit and still look balanced.

OR

2 of the wider style w sliding glass

- not sure if they're more modern because they're different or more vintage looking, do they make the piece look really wide? too wide for the room? Wider glass shows your stuff better w less framework to distract the eye. The shelves are adjustable but I can't do 1 side without the other or that will just look bad!

They were out of stock of the thinner style so I had resigned myself to love the wide ones but now they have them back in and I'm super second guessing myself.

Any opinions. I'm basically down to symmetry vs more open lines. It's a more traditional farm house.

Blank room, 10'7" back wall, just under 13'7" long.

Thanks for any thoughts on size and balance!!

This was my inspiration pic.

in grey but I'm doing white

コメント (26)

• Olychick
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

I think both her choices have glass doors, from how I read it.

I like the narrower with 3 units because, as you say, you can have symmetry on the sides and something different in the middle unit. Balance is what you want, but I know having just 2 units that are identical but with different shelf heights would drive me bonkers. Not so much if they didn't have the doors, but behind the doors, I'd like symmetry on the ends.

And, I think sliders may be easier to run amok...like off the tracks, etc. Not sure of the quality of Ikea for that sort of detail. But they are both very nice looking units.

gillis95さんはOlychickさんにお礼を言いました
  • gillis95
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Yes both options have the glass, the top open shelf pic was just color as in wall of white shelves and the floating wood desk etc.

I definitely want the doors, this is a seasonal place so any help keeping dust at bay on the 'stuff' will be helpful. Didn't think of that w the sliders possibly getting off track. They feel really nice being solid wood, I was kinda shocked. I looked at the Billy and Liatorp and they feel so cheap (because they are) but I understand a budget - but then I turned the corner to see this beauty. Real wood - albeit pine - but you can feel the real wood grain in the finish and it feels like "real furniture" LOL. Plus being in a higher humidity area at times I didn't want saggy particle board shelves.

They have wood framed glass shelving so light can flow through - it's really a nice piece being easier on the budget.

I love the openess of the wide but my heart is telling me classic style and symmetry wins.

I'll be getting 1 of them in a few days so I'll try and post when I'm done.

• groveraxle
    4年前

I like the wider ones. But then, I think symmetry is overrrated.

As for the sliding doors, I have a cabinet with sliding glass doors in my bathroom and I use it every day. Opening and closing them is not annoying. If these are display shelves, you'll probably rarely open them anyway.

• Kathleen K
    4年前

I like the power of three with the narrow ones but also think sliding door may save some space when opening them.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4年前

I think you need to decide what you are putting in there and how many books . BTW the Billy system has been around for eons because it is well built ans stands up very well. I have some that are 25 yrs old that are now in our sons basement TV room.I think in your space I would do that whole back wall behind the desk.

• tqtqtbw
    4年前

There are tutorials on how to use the Billy bookcase to create built-ins, complete with internal and overhead library lights. I would get whichever will allow you to go wall to wall.

• gillis95
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Oh I love the Billy don’t get me wrong. I have a full wall done at another house that’s probably eons years old :)

But we seriously have high moisture at times when we are completely fog swamped on the coast. An old ceiling fan is unusable due to sagging particle board blades and an old desk w hutch w non solid wood shelves are saggy so I’m not confident w non solid wood at this location.

I need to stare at the space some more. :)

• petula67
    4年前

Three narrow units with all those skinny doors would feel busy to me in that relatively small space. I'd probably choose the wider units.

• smalloldhouse_gw
    4年前

I really like the wider ones. But a lot depends on what you want to use the bookshelves to store - books? files/paperwork? decorative items? some combination of all three?

• gillis95
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

It will be display only in the glass part. Collectible books mixed w antique crockery and other items.
    The bottom cabinet will be any paper storage for the office use.

• m_gabriel
    4年前

I like the wider doors for the feeling of expanding the room side to side in terms of where your eye goes. i like the style, too - feels modern but also maybe like what you'd see in an old-fashioned store with pretty things on the glass shelves. One thing to think about vs. your inspiration picture is how the heights match up. If there is a lot of space between the top and the ceiling, it might feel like it's looming over the desk/coming "into" the room vs. built in floor to ceiling.

• ptreckel
    4年前

If moisture is an issue I might be concerned that the sliding doors would swell and stick over time. Just something to keep in mind. Both are nice options.

• jay06
    4年前

You mentioned wanting "built-ins". Are you actually planning to build the unit into the wall as a genuine built-in, or setting it against the wall like a regular shelving unit? In any event, I think if you plan to maintain the traditional look of a farmhouse that the narrower design works best. The room will look great!

gillis95さんはjay06さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4年前

IMO if you have that much moisture in your home there are more issues than sagging fan blades. Get a whole dehumidifier ASAP.

• PRO
    VRA Interiors, LLC
    4年前

We think the wider ones, and three of them will work well in your space.

Wieuca Road: Home Office · 詳細

• gillis95
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Well I finished the room. Need to add some more books to the cases but it's coming together! We went w the doors that swing open which was the 3 narrow style due to possible seasonal house shifting which is common here and were worried about the doors that slid in a track. The hinges of the swinging doors are easy to fine tune as needed. These are Havsta bookcases from IKEA, solid wood, wood framed glass inset shelves so light will pass through. Very adjustable feet as well which was much needed due to the arc in the old floor! Took more time to level it all than to build it! Love old houses!

You can see the sagging ceiling fan - it's not that horribly sagging but that will be replaced at some point.

• My House
    4年前

Lovely room.

It looks a bit crowded on the left side.... Can you move the lamp or stereo chest to the right?

Wall art needed on right wall ( opposite window wall)

green plants add a freshness and life. Floor plant and desk plant

Something like this has lots of colors in it and is flexible, as it can work with a variety of color schemes. It depends what colors you choose to accentuate.

reference

https://www.ballarddesigns.com/southern-oaks-art/394396

gillis95さんはMy Houseさんにお礼を言いました
  • gillis95
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

That's pretty! Love that thin gold framed version. I'm tending to go w blues but I love anything nature and green as well. There is a big local artist shack in the village so I'm hoping to add from there - nothing spoke to me last time. I put another picture to the left of the window and wasn't sure about placing on the right since there's that taller Victrola piece - and that's the only place it will fit in this house is that corner. The art piece I placed looks kind of small in the photo but didn't feel like in person. If I find something bigger I can try and swap sides.

Thanks

• gillis95
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

And I should clarify I didn't finish decorating - just the furniture/bookcases/rug. Now comes the curating of art and details, plants etc. I have some vintage botanical prints to go on the wall to the right as you face the desk in a gallery wall/grid style.

• My House
    4年前

I applaud you for seeking local artwork. I thought of this painting because- I see the blue of your chair, the gray of the walls. and the warm color of your floor.

gillis95さんはMy Houseさんにお礼を言いました
  • tqtqtbw
    4年前

Make sure someone can sit in the desk chair and rise without hitting your beautiful new bookcases. Great job so far.

gillis95さんはtqtqtbwさんにお礼を言いました
  • gillis95
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

I agree w everything being on the left side crowded etc. You can't see - but on the wall to the right as you face the desk is the door from the kitchen/dining. i tried putting the cabinet in that right back corner but it's so deep it really cuts the path to get to the desk and I can't scoot the desk or it's not centered as you see the room and that would drive me nuts.

That's why I wanted to do bigger art on the right wall to give more weight to that side of the room. I can't put any furniture on the right again - the path is there. I was going to move the lamp but I need to run an extension cord as there's no plug on that side.

So moving lamp and bigger art on the right wall is the plan. I do like that piece you posted!

Here's a couple other bad shots to see the other wall - pardon the mess.

The wood column is the wood stove shaft from the other room.

• tqtqtbw
    4年前

Is there maybe room in the dining room for the stereo case?

• jay06
    4年前

The room is gorgeous! Nice job!

gillis95さんはjay06さんにお礼を言いました
  • gillis95
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

@tqtqtbw Not the dining room but possibly the other joining room. My husband wants to be able to listen to old records where he's writing or we're lounging in that family room. All those green sofa's came w the cottage so those will be replaced w some smaller scale things. I'm not committed to anything in there. I just bought that wooden chair and typewriter at an antique store and the coffee table at a local shop. And keeping the vintage trunk is for firewood for the stove. We want to add a tv but not sure where. Previous owner had it on the short black console behind the door and just closed the door to watch tv. Kinda like having no tv in the house but husband misses his hockey :)

Here's a view of the adjacent living room. That's a wood stove in the front left corner so I'm not sure you can put a tv so close to such a heat source - plus I didn't want it being a focal point.

It's a difficult layout to get everything I want in there; comfy furniture, not too big or small and I didn't want to block both windows w furniture.

We thought of taking the doors of the hinges but we're new to the cold climate here and didn't know if maybe it's good for keeping the heat in the downstairs?

PR