Houzz Logo Print
smeadartdesign

Exterior makeover of 1965 waterfront ranch

Bought this house 3 years ago. Should I paint the brick? Add shutters?

What can I do to add interest to the entrance? I really love the wide eaves on the house. Very Frank Loyd Wright!

コメント (21)

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4年前

New lighting and a front door color that you can see. I don’t think you need shutters and the brick looks decent and not “paint-worthy.”

• groveraxle
    4年前

I wouldn't paint that brick and almost never add shutters to a ranch. Please back up and give us a shot of the whole house. We don't design in parts.

• groveraxle
    4年前

The one thing I would do is remove the sun face wall hanging from the front. It detracts and distracts from your lovely landscaping.

• cat_ky
    4年前

All these style and era ranch houses have these wide eve overhangs. My dog loves them too. He can stay out when it rains, and lay on the back porch, because, it never gets wet there. I dont think you need shutters either and your brick looks to be in excellent condition, I sure wouldnt be painting that. I would like to see your door painted a brighter color, and some chairs etc on your front porch with some color. The front porch looks a bit unlived in. Please post some more pictures, so we can see whole house. What I see in the pictures you posted, looks pretty nice.

• groveraxle
    4年前

OK, two things I would do. Paint the downspout a color closer to the brick color so it disappears.

• housegal200
    4年前

Don't paint the brick or put up shutters, which don't belong on a ranch. DK Haas landscape design would look in incredible in front of your house. A cedar garage door or a garage door and your trim painted in a grayish mustard would look great as would a blue or orange front door.

Brickwork/Veneer · 詳細

Brooktree / Los Angeles Mid-Century Modern · 詳細

Mid Century Modern Re-Visit · 詳細

• katinparadise
    4年前

I agree with brightening up the door. It looks as though you do have some furniture on the porch but it's hard to see. Perhaps a brighter color for that or some colorful pillows. Other than that, I too like the house the way it is.

• PRO
    Ferris Zoe Design
    4年前

Railings and downspout would be my first suggestion. Wood or wood look railings to give it some light. Can you move the downspout?

• decoenthusiaste
    4年前

I like the "haint blue" ceiling, but white would lighten the overall feeling. Maybe try the blue on the door. Get a bright colorful outdoor rug rather than the drab gray one. White chairs might help too, and you could pick up the door color in some upholstery or pillows.

Griffon · 詳細

• emmarene9
    4年前

I would remove the railing on the right. Extend the brick step to the wall. Extend concrete slab to the wall. Mount a grab bar to the brick wall.

• smeadartdesign
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

For some reason, the full photo didn't attach the first time... here it is! Some really interesting comments. I am glad everyone thought painting the brick and shutters was a bad idea. I have been kinda torn about that. I definitely want to do new bigger, lighting. Sounds like painting the front door is popular, but I just bought the door and had it painted like wood. It is really beautiful. I will keep that idea for someday. A new rug and furniture is great idea. I was just thinking a few days ago about moving the sun to the back. I have a shrub there that should take up the space in a year or two. Thought about extending the porch somehow with large planters.

• smeadartdesign
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

I don't think it attached again... I lowered the resolution.

• smeadartdesign
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Maybe this worked.

• shwshw
    4年前

It's not you, Houzz intermittently has problems loading photos. Keep trying...

• smeadartdesign
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

I had the porch ceiling painted light blue. Very popular in the historic district. Keeps evil spirits and wasp nest away!

• shwshw
    4年前

Your house is lovely. I would not paint brick or add shutters. I don't think paint is going to lighten up the front door/porch area. Maybe installing lights you keep on during the day?

• cat_ky
    4年前

I think your house looks very nice and it does have some nice curb appeal. I would however, make the sidewalk from the drive to the front door, look a bit more appealing. Extend your flower bed around the front side of it, and put in some colorful plants, that wont overgrow out on to the sidewalk, and get new brighter lighting, and get some color in your front porch, and it should look really nice. I dont mind the sun there, in fact, I kind of like it.

• groveraxle
    4年前

I went back to your original question which asked about adding interest to the entrance. Your whole house is quite beautiful, the landscaping is superbly done, and the only real problem is that the entrance is so dark. I think you just need to find a way to light it better. Perhaps a few well-placed can lights in the porch ceiling would do the trick.

• lindahambleton
    4年前

How about a skylight or solar tube in the roof over the porch ?

• decoenthusiaste
    4年前

Good idea, lindahamleton.

PR