Houzz Logo Print
donnalorenz

Please vote - knobs or pulls on the big drawers?

donnalorenz
4年前
最終更新:4年前

Hi, you all helped me with my countertop query (Symphony Grey was the winner! will be templated on Thursday!) so I'm hoping you will weigh in on whether I should put knobs or pulls on the big drawers. There are five - one under the double ovens, two next to that cabinet (with a skinny drawer on top that must have a pull) and the two in the island (again, with a skinny drawer on top that must have a pull.) I have a couple more sleeps to make this decision.

コメント (43)

• PRO
    Icon Building Group
    4年前

donnalorenz, We always would vote for knobs on cabinet doors and pulls always for drawers for a consistent and even pull open or push close. Although in most kitchens today the drawer glides are very smooth you will enjoy the opening and closing of the drawers so much better.

donnalorenzさんはIcon Building Groupさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4年前

Pulls would be my choice. Knobs for the upper cabinets. I don't want a knob stripped from use spinning around in my hand a few years down the road.

donnalorenzさんはBeverlyFLADezinerさんにお礼を言いました
  • happy2b…gw
    4年前

I prefer pulls for look and function.

donnalorenzさんはhappy2b…gwさんにお礼を言いました
  • Val
    4年前

Pulls!

donnalorenzさんはValさんにお礼を言いました
  • kim k
    4年前

Pulls for sure.

donnalorenzさんはkim kさんにお礼を言いました
  • Nidnay
    4年前

I like a mix like you have in your first photo....pulls for the top drawers and knobs for the bottom two drawers and then knobs for the uppers. I find it very monotonous to have all knobs or all pulls (depending on the style of kitchen).

donnalorenzさんはNidnayさんにお礼を言いました
  • Nidnay
    4年前

Look how pretty this looks with a little variation (although I would much prefer that the pull was on the top drawer).

donnalorenzさんはNidnayさんにお礼を言いました
  • 2ManyDiversions
    4年前

Far prefer pulls on both upper and lower, cabinets and drawers. Just more comfortable, easier to keep drawer and cabinet fronts clean. I love nidnay's kitchen (!!) and therefor think she has wonderful taste, but honestly I believe you can make any kitchen lovely using all pulls that suit your kitchen. Ours is, to us : ). Now, for uppers that are more decorative... I'd use knobs. We have pulls on every drawer and cabinet, except all the topmost 15" cabs, which I'll rarely access.

Good luck on your personal choice!

donnalorenzさんは2ManyDiversionsさんにお礼を言いました
  • ci_lantro
    4年前

Pulls and the drawers need larger ones than the pulls pictured.

donnalorenzさんはci_lantroさんにお礼を言いました
  • donnalorenz
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

ci_lantro, they only come in that size - and sadly I am completely in love with them and nothing else has even tweaked my interest! So they will have to do!

• 2ManyDiversions
    4年前

"I am completely in love with them and nothing else has even tweaked my interest" I understand this (and agree, those pulls are to die for with what you have!), I was in the same situation so I do understand. As you show in your photo above with green tape, I used double pulls on all my drawer stacks except one, and haven't regretted it.

• RedRyder
    4年前

Knobs for doors, pulls for drawers. Two pulls if the drawer is super wide and deep. My designer was very helpful around sizing of the pulls for my drawers. I had to find a style that had the two pull sizes I needed and a knob I liked. It was worth the hunt.

donnalorenzさんはRedRyderさんにお礼を言いました
  • RedRyder
    4年前

The small drawer pulls are 5” and the larger drawer pulls are 7”.

• donnalorenz
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

RedRyder - interesting where you put the knobs on the actual cabinet. I was going in the middle of the perceived square, or in line with the line of the profile - but my kitchen designer insisted on somewhere in the middle!

• felizlady
    4年前

I use two knobs on big drawers, but for you, it may depend upon the weight of the contents or the quality of the drawer glides. If the contents are light, the drawer may open easily with one finger pulling one knob of the two. When I select knobs, I look for a knob neck which is big enough for my pointer finger to fit easily behind it.

donnalorenzさんはfelizladyさんにお礼を言いました
  • greenbeetle
    4年前

I'm in the process of making the same decision. RedRyder, would you be willing to share what brand your hardware is? That's the look I'm going for and am having problems finding just the right one.

donnalorenzさんはgreenbeetleさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    4年前

I prefer a pull for both uppers and lowers. They are easier to open if ones hands are wet or messy.

On lower drawers, a cabinet builder once told me to always use a SINGLE pull, to two pulls. He said no one uses both hands to open a drawer - they grab a handle. And when there are two, it throws the pulls off over time. One single one in the middle is best. And yes, I DO have several 36" wide, deep drawers that are filled with many heavy items. NO problem!

donnalorenzさんはAnglophiliaさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    donnalorenzさんはCreative Design Cabinetryさんにお礼を言いました
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    4年前

I prefer pulls,myself.

donnalorenzさんはCheryl Hannebauerさんにお礼を言いました
  • 2ManyDiversions
    4年前

Anglo makes a good point... however, we have blum heavy duty slides on our larger drawers (most of which are), the cabinets are well-built, and using one pull doesn't pull ours to either side - I was concerned about this, so have spent days and late nights pulling on them! I knew I wouldn't use both pulls much of the time. Additionally, it's sometimes hard to find larger (wider) pulls in some styles/finishes. Those I chose came in larger/smaller sizes and I ordered a single pull in all sizes to sample them, but the wider pulls were very, very thick, and I didn't care for them. However, one smaller 6" pull would have sufficed with the exception of 2 of our drawer stacks. One is 48" wide and a single smaller pull would not have worked.

• judy1740
    4年前

Pulls and longer ones in the centre of the drawer.

donnalorenzさんはjudy1740さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4年前

Pulls on drawers-proportionate to the drawer and in single pull in center. Longer pulls on longer drawers. I like the finger pulls for cabinets because you can just slip a wet finger under the groove and pull the cabinet open very easily. Cabinet doors are easier to open.

hardware · 詳細

These are available in a variety of styles and finishes.

donnalorenzさんはFlo Manganさんにお礼を言いました
  • User
    4年前

Single pulls on all drawers, sized to width of drawer. Larger, bigger drawers get larger heavier pulls. I sometimes used appliance pulls for 36" drawers. The key is using a single pull, no one actually uses two hands to open drawers. So if you have 2 pulls and you only use one hand, you are distorting the drawer.

donnalorenzさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Century Hardware
    4年前

Hey donnalorenz ,

my vote is for pulls!

donnalorenzさんはCentury Hardwareさんにお礼を言いました
  • RedRyder
    4年前

Donnalorenz: the knobs and handles are Rusticware. I found them on GoingKnobs and Knobs4less.com. The 8” center pulls (which I thought were 7”) are $9.34 each. The 5” pulls are $7.22 each and the knobs are
    1 1/2” diameter, $3.73 each. I needed quite a few for the kitchen AND laundry room (77 total) so I liked the price as much as the look.
    They are oil rubbed bronze.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    4年前

I have had a combo of knobs and pulls for 15 years. I find the cabinets with the knobs to get dirtier and the finish is more worn--probably because people aren't using them to open the doors like they should.

donnalorenzさんはstir_fryi SE Michさんにお礼を言いました
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    4年前

pulls for the drawers.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    4年前

flo- now if I could only remember who & which post was looking for those finger pulls.

• PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    4年前

Pulls for drawers generally works best!

donnalorenzさんはLion Windows and Doorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4年前

HaHa Cheryl - how are things coming along in your place?

• ll71
    4年前

I prefer large pulls

donnalorenzさんはll71さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4年前

Long pulls are fine, but they need to be in proportion to the drawer. That top one is way too long.

• ll71
    4年前

not according to the kitchen designers

donnalorenzさんはll71さんにお礼を言いました
  • teddytoo
    4年前

I LOVE ❤️ the pulls you picked out!

donnalorenzさんはteddytooさんにお礼を言いました
  • donnalorenz
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Thanks teddytoo! Once I saw those, I was done looking! :) The knobs are pretty nice too. I ended up putting knobs on the cupboards and two pulls on the drawers (because they only came in one length) and a mix of pulls and knobs on the pantry wall. It looks nice. The countertop comes next Thursday and then I will post the after pictures - cuz of course I will probably need opinions about the backsplash options too, LOL!

• frodaddi
    4年前

Since most people so far have preferred pulls, thought I would post up a pic of our recent remodel using knobs, just for the sake of an example of that option.

donnalorenzさんはfrodaddiさんにお礼を言いました
  • donnalorenz
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Frodaddi, oh my! That's lovely!

• Anne Duke
    4年前

Pulls on big drawers, but only one. Your selection is pretty, be careful of gilding the lily with too many.

donnalorenzさんはAnne Dukeさんにお礼を言いました
  • donnalorenz
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Anne Duke, I get what you mean. I had originally thought pulls on the upper cabinets as well, but was convinced to do knobs and now I'm glad I did, because it would have been too much of a good thing I think.

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    4年前

I would go with pulls for function and look, or maybe even one pull in the center of a drawer, depending on their design. If their design is more decorative, I would go with one in the center.

donnalorenzさんはHome Art Tile Kitchen & Bathさんにお礼を言いました
  • donnalorenz
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Except for the painting, it's done! Here are the before and after pictures. Thank you to everyone for advising me along the way!

• RedRyder
    4年前

donnalorenz, the hardware choice was perfect! The whole kitchen looks great.