Houzz Logo Print
sonya_oden

Kitchen island help.

Sonya Oden
4年前

I think that I have opened my mind up more to painting my island navy blue instead of the walls in our kitchen.

Right now the front of our island is ho-hum. I was thinking of installing shiplap. My question is should I do standard horizontal ship lap or in a chevron pattern?

I also need some suggestions on pendant lights for above. My style tends to be lean rustic.

Also, for curtains should I leave them where they are or take them to the ceiling? We have 9ft ceilings.

コメント (32)

• PRO
    EBL Construction
    4年前

Your wall color seems to be a nice fit, but I do think you could use a pop of color. The island might be a great place to do that or perhaps even just in the barstools.

If you're considering shiplap, I would not suggest a chevron pattern. This look is very much on its way out if it isn't already. Even just adding barstools will improve what is otherwise "ho-hum."

Regarding pendants... your kitchen isn't rustic. Be careful not to choose something too rustic because it will not be a good fit.

Moving your curtains up will elongate the space and could be a nice touch.

Please keep us updated on your choices and thanks for sharing!

• jck910
    4年前

The curtains do need to be raised, so longer panels needed. Also the panels should look like they will cover the window when closed (even if you never close them) so you probably need 3-4 on each side. I would leave the island alone and use rustic accents to warm up the space.

Pendants frim shadesoflight.com

Stools from grandinroad.com

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4年前

Maybe try color via curtains, rugs, barstools, art, etc before painting? Would you do shiplap and paint the shiplap? It’s pretty but a bit neutral.

• Sonya Oden
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

ShadyWillowFarm -- I would paint the shiplap. I am wanting a deep navy, like Hague Blue. I originally wanted it on the walls but am re-thinking it because it is an open concept.

jck910 -- I love those lights. My husband wants bar stools with backs since we have littles.

• PRO
    Timeless Wrought Iron
    4年前

I would bring the color to the stools and match with new curtains all the way to the ceiling. These are easily changed out as your tastes change in the future. Glass pendents with the same finish as your hardware and faucet in the kitchen will look great.

• PRO
    Color Zen
    4年前

I would honestly leave the island because once you add some fabulous stools & island lights, all will be well.

• ocotillaks
    4年前

Kitchen Island · 詳細

• PRO
    Icon Building Group
    4年前

Here are two Islands painted but with end panels that are timeless and can be painted to the next color that pleases you.

• chuppi
    4年前

your whole kitchen is neutral, blue for island will be too much of contrast.

Couple of thin bands of chevron in middle could do for island, going with diagonal of backsplash, but that will not be very prominent so you could save some work.

• Sonya Oden
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Celery girl- I like the shiplap looks. This is going to be our long term/forever home, so on trend doesn’t bother me as much :)

• Sonya Oden
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Icon I love the pendant lights in that 2nd picture!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

With pendants

Minka Lavery Liege Pendant, Matte Black With Polished Nickel · 詳細

• Sonya Oden
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Those are fabulous!

• Irene Morresey
    4年前

Some inspiration

• RedRyder
    4年前

I think a navy island would be very pretty. There are a lot of “rustic” pendant ideas out there. Your kitchen will be wonderful. It’s very pretty now.
    Consider moving the curtain rods to the ceiling.

• Sonya Oden
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Has anyone used the ceiling mount brackets for a curtain rod?

• chuppi
    4年前

If you like blue, just one life... go for it :))

(plus its just paint you could change it easily).

But you need to more of that colour or a colour that goes with blue like yellow.. in kitchen & dining(open floor plan) in form of accessories … fabrics of drapes, stool, painting etc.

• chuppi
    4年前

Or you can keep the neutral look of kitchen & still bring in some contrast & pep by painting island a gray or more nuetrlish colour.

& have fun with pendants & stools.

• chuppi
    4年前

Pls watch this video for a simple makeover of island, Sarah style!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqoxsACa4a0

• Sonya Oden
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Chuppi -- thanks! We take possession of the house next week and I am super excited to make it "ours". I was definitely planning on drapes and throw pillows in the living room to tie it in.

• chuppi
    4年前

So exciting! congratulations & enjoy your new abode

• PRO
    essentials inside
    4年前

Love the blue on the island. The kitchen turned out beautiful.

• jpp221
    4年前

I like shiplap, but any finish has to be part of a broader plan or it looks like one thing plonked into the middle with no rhyme or reason. Shiplap on the island with cupboards that are either shaker or vaguely colonial (?) just don’t belong. It will look like an add-on, like, “I walked into cpstconand there was a sale so this is what I got.”

To me, shiplap is very seaside/coastal/arts and crafts/beach cottage, or maybe farmhouse chique.

I’d consider the broader question of style for the whole space and then the little questions almost answer themselves.

• ulisdone
    4年前

I say yes to a shiplap type treatment for the island. The room could use some texture.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    4年前

following

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4年前

Beautiful kitchen!

I would finish the kitchen before I considered adjusting the island. I don't know that I would want to commit to blue on the island.

You can attach battens to the face of the island............maybe not as thick as these.

This bluish gray is still fairly neutral and current.

The right color gray is always an option for an island

Your island may just need the contrast of bar stools and light fixtures.

• Robin Thomas
    4年前

This looks great! http://itoolsdownload.info

• PRO
    Kitchen Ideas, LLC
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of photoshopping your photo to get a visual idea of what your island would look like with navy blue shiplap accenting the seating side.

Additionally, I thought about this kitchen designed by our design partner kp-design in the Denver, Colorado area, combining white wall and counters with blue cabinetry.

• RedRyder
    4年前

I think a softer blue might be prettier. It will depend on the furnishings in the rest of the house since it sure looks open concept.

• Jora
    4年前

Not sure if you've done anything with your kitchen island yet, but one suggestion is to keep it the color it is and trim it out with moulding. You'd be surprised at how fantastic it will look!

• jbtanyderi
    4年前

Where are the drapes? When you get them, hang double fullness from the ceiling. Mirror the area above the cabinets. Use a rich colour for the island. You might even consider an interesting wallpaper for the front.