Houzz Logo Print
jerriblank

TRASH CANS vs COMPACTOR

I'm so torn. I love my compactor but people talk so much smack about it. We are doing a complete kitchen reno and I can either put in a compactor, or a pullout to house two 50 qt trashcans. (Space is not an issue, if that matters.) HELP! Which should I do?

コメント (27)

• Daisy S
    4年前

I will definitely replace my compactor with pull out garbage bins when I get to remodel my kitchen. I can’t put glass or unrinsed rubbish in the compactor. I really don’t like the way the trash bags fit in the compactor and how heavy they are on removal. I don’t think I will miss it at all ...just my opinion...and I dislike seeing my stainless steel regular trash can...

• kudzu9
    4年前

I've always thought of compactors as a great way to turn 20 lbs of trash into...20 pounds of trash.

• dadoes
    4年前

"People talk smack ..." Best is YOU do whatever makes YOU happy. The smackers are of no consequence to that!

• M Miller
    4年前

I agree with Deb S. I haven’t seen a compactor installed in years. Of course if you love them, it‘s your kitchen. But you wouldn’t be posting on here if with the question if you were confident about getting one. One large contributing factor of why they’ve fallen out of favor in the last 20 years is that people now recycle a large proportion of their waste. It would take weeks for most families to fill a compactor with non-recyclables which gets pretty gross.

• Karen
    4年前

I also love my compactor. I put it in 18 years ago and haven't looked back. I would not hesitate to put another one in if I were to get a new kitchen. My nephew just remodeled a whole house and has the 2 trash cans. He lives alone and does not cook. The trash cans always seem full and he's never home. Go figure!

• jalarse
    4年前

I agree with Karen. We have had a trash compactor for 18 years in this house. Had one in the previous house as well. Like any other appliance they need to be maintained. I like the idea of just dropping something into it and closing the door. No fuss no muss and no odor. Trash compactor on the left of the sink, disherwasher on the right. Works for me. Of course in the world of gray and white everything, I still have cherry floors so what do I know.

• 2ManyDiversions
    4年前

Jerri, I'd never do a trash compactor, but I'm not using your kitchen and I'm not paying for your remodel : ) Ignore the naysayers, install what you want and will utilize the most. If you are very concerned about resale, purchase a trash cabinet and store it somewhere.

• wacokid
    4年前

"Tonight on the SmackDown we have the Trash Compactor.....vs. Pullout Drawer...." aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• rockypointdog
    4年前

I just moved to a house with a compactor and so far do not like it. I miss my pull out bins for trash and recycle. Right now recycle items pile up on the counter until I take them out. I find the compactor dirty and smelly. And I dislike how heavy the bag gets. Oh, and I dislike that I can’t find compactor bags just anywhere - I have to make a special trip to buy them. I wanted to give it a chance to see if I would like it, but the whole family has decided that we prefer pull outs. JMHO.

• PRO
    Icon Building Group
    4年前

Jerri,

I must say I am not aware of the last time we installed a trash compactor in one of our builds or renovations. However, we are of the belief it always comes down to customizing a kitchen to your needs and desires. If you like it, keep it. If you are concerned for resale at a later date, I agree with 2ManyDiversions, purchase with the rest of your new cabinets an additional rollout garbage cabinet. Therefore, you can replace the trash compactor with an actual cabinet in the event the new purchaser does not want the trash compactor. Keep what makes you happy!

• Daisy S
    4年前

I don’t see any naysayers here...OP asked opinion on compactor vs. pull out bins. Everyone is just giving their personal experience. I have had a compactor for nineteen years and as I previously stated I will not be replacing it when doing kitchen remodel...that is just my personal opinion on how it functions in our home. We take our recyclables to the center, so it takes a long time to fill up the compactor and everything must be rinsed well as to not become smelly and an ant magnet...Of course OP needs to do what is right his/her home.

• M
    4年前

Our house came with a trash compactor. I thought it was the tackiest appliance ever. But then we lived in this house for a couple of years and it really grew on me. Our kitchen is on the third floor and it's so nice not having to take trash out all the time.

Compactor bags are easy to buy at Costco

We still have a recycling trash can under the sink, and it fills up all the time. For food scraps, we often use the garbage disposal. So, we don't have to worry about bad smells,

When we remodeled, it wasn't even a question. Of course we got another compactor. There are not too many brands to choose from these days. The KitchenAid looks similar to our old one, but some of the details don't look quite as sturdy. Let's see how it holds up

I don't regret using the space for an appliance. It does an important job in our household. And if I ever decided otherwise, I could fill that spot with a small beverage fridge. So, it's not as if I ruined the kitchen for resale

• kevinande
    4年前

When the "smack talkers" hand you some cash with the intention of helping you pay for the remodel, only then are their opinions validated. Until such time opinions are like bum holes, everybody has one. It's you money and your kitchen, remodel it the way you see fit. If someone comes over talking smack, present them with the exit door of choice.

• M Miller
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

“opinions are like bum holes, everybody has one”

I am confused at the anger and contempt shown by Kevinande. The OP said she “is torn”, and “what should I do?” So people here are trying to help her. Everyone seems very nice about saying what their experience has been or what their thoughts are on this decision. Kevinande is not helping the OP, he’s just being a troll.

• skmom
    4年前

I like my compactor, we kept it when we remodeled our kitchen a couple of years ago. But, we also have a larger family, and I still empty my compactor every 1-2 days. If I didn’t have a compactor, I’d have to take it out at least twice a day and THAT is annoying. LOL! I don’t use compactor bags, just the Costco brand regular trash bags, and I don’t crush it more than a few times per bag or it gets too heavy to take out and the bag tears. But this works great for our family and I’d do it again in a heartbeat. That said, next time we move it will be because we have become empty nesters and we will have already built our forever home... we bought the land already, and where it is has really strict recycling rules (unlike where we live now) so in that case I doubt I will go with a compactor again in that location because it won’t make as much sense for our family or for the trash pickup company we will have to use.

• M
    4年前

we bought the land already, and where it is has really strict recycling rules (unlike where we live now) so in that case I doubt I will go with a compactor again in that location

That's actually another good argument for a trash compactor. Around here, there are extra fees for larger trash cans. The standard size just barely holds one bag of trash. By using a compactor, you can a week's worth of trash into the bin without having to pay more money.

• kevinande
    4年前

M Miller I am not angry at all, nor do I wish to get into a who' s keyboard is the biggest on the internet. The OP is clearly concerned about the opinions of others. If that is the only take away you got from it, then I don't have time to spoon feed you. No I am not angry, lightly amused is more accurate description.

• M Miller
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

“If that is the only take away you got from it, then I don't have time to spoon feed you.“

Still you have not helped the OP, but per the definition of troll, enjoy stirring the pot, and steering a thread off course. I also used the word contempt to describe your tone. You didn’t mention that.

Why can’t people just speak civilly to each other? I expect it’s the anonymity.

• skmom
    4年前

Good point M! Maybe I’ll just keep a compactor AND have a pull out for various recycling.

• gtcircus
    4年前

OP, just redid my kitchen and I had a trash compactor in the old kitchen and now just two bins in the new kitchen. I take out the trash more often, but I have less “smell” that sometimes would occur with the TC. My pest control company advised me that TC’s are a magnet for coach roaches and other vermin. I live out on acreage where field mice are always an issue in the fall. I kept my TC clean as a result, but I don’t miss it. I also now don’t have to spray my kitchen regularly either. As others have said, do what YOU want.

• gtcircus
    4年前

OP if you have to buy bin stamps to get your trash picked up, then a TC is the way to go. I have two bins but could have up to four without any extra charge and we don’t have to purchase bin stamps for my trash to be picked up. But about a mile away they do and many of the houses have compactors. There is no right or wrong answer here - hopefully just insight to help you think through the pros/cons so you can make an informed decision.

• jakeseacrest
    4年前

I love my trash compactor. I use it for all the “dry” trash and the disposal for all the wet stuff. We also have a regular trash can in the kitchen for everything else. Keep the compactor is my vote

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4年前

I have recycling bins in my laundry room and honestly have maybe a small bags of garbage a week for 4 of us so compactor would not be something I would need. I also do not want or need a disposal so I guess to each his own you don’t need a bunch of strangers telling you what you need.

• artemis_ma
    4年前

If you already have a compactor and love it... well use one in your reno. I don't have one, but recently ate a pot luck at a home that did - seems efficient, but of course alternatives are also efficient, depends on where and how you live.

• Diana Powell
    2年前

I am in the Same boat yet this is for a 2nd Home as I have a Trash Compactor that Fortunately My Husband empties... We also keep a bin for recycling but when I went to shop for compactors he price was about 3x more than a base Cabinet with Pull out trash cans in it so I am also wondering what to do with a 36" space to the left of my diswasher that is to the left of the sink as I can put a 36" Cabint-two 18" Cabinet s and or a 15" and 21" as the 15" will hold the trash bins and or compactor so It is a bit of a difficult decision...

• telesaps
    2年前

The cabinet where my pull out trash cans are located smells. I take the garbage out daily and wash them once or twice a week. The smell has permeated the cabinets. I hate it and am considering a trash compactor.

PR