Houzz Logo Print
anthony_boni

Should We Replace the Backsplash?

Should the backsplash stay? We’re moving in soon and we’re on the fence if we should get a new splash

コメント (19)

• Scott G
    5年前

Do you like it? You have to look at it. I don't think it's that bad. However, it's a bit busy for my taste.

• Hannah Boni
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    I’m on the fence, I agree it is busy and that’s why I don’t know what to do. It’s a bit much for me but it doesn’t look terrible. I just don’t know if we should spend the money and replace it
  • Scott G
    5年前

I would probably live with it for a while. It's easy to change at any time.

• aprilneverends
    5年前

Yes, if you can afford to spend money (and time and energy)-I'd change it. It is dizzying to me as well, and it's not the best example of mosaic. It tries too hard to match the countertops-and kinda fails and overcomplicates the things instead of just being a backsplash. Not simple, and not a statement, not here, not there.

Not the end of the world of course..it's just a backsplash. But it's not a kind that grows on you..I think. So if you can..I'd change it, personally. I'd also finish it where the upper cabinets end. Not at the overhang.

• stillpitpat
    5年前

Replacing it would give you an opportunity to get some color in there too, if you are inclined.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5年前

Change it. It's busy and it looks dated.

• K R
    5年前
    I would - closes in the room and makes it appear smaller.
  • zealart
    5年前

I would. It looks like a Home Depot backsplash that was all the rage a couple years ago. Kind of sad that this look already looks dated.

• barncatz
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

Change it. I think Karen Rose was right on the money - it really closes in the kitchen and detracts from the cabinets and granite.

I'm not sure I'd replace it, you could just repair and repaint for now until you figure out a better way to handle the wall by the penninsula. As april pointed out, that 'tile block' ending looks very awkward. I'd rip it.

Good luck with your new home.

• PRO
    HomeDecorAZ
    5年前

How soon are you moving in? If there's time and if it's within the budget, we suggest changing it before the move. However, if the move is right around the corner, postponing the backsplash update until after you've settled in might be a good idea. Moving can be such an ordeal on its own without having to manage a whole other project. Since you're on the fence (meaning you don't completely hate it), it may not be too bad in the meantime.

• PRO
    Pearl Remodeling
    5年前

You should change it. It is a little too much for the area. Makes it look busy.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    5年前

If you can change it, yes. It does look a bit dated.

• sm m
    5年前
    Yes
  • stewart1211
    5年前

I’d go with changing it. Whenever I look at backsplash tile, I try to imagine the things I want or need sitting on my countertops with the tile behind it. I often see beautiful elaborate, interesting, tiles with intricate patterns, but if the tile is too busy, your countertops can “appear“ cluttered even though they actually might not be. You have a nice kitchen, btw.

• PRO
    Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

I would change it. I do like the rest of the kitchen....very nice.

• Esther
    5年前
    I would make myself wait and search every unique tile shop around until I found something I couldn’t live without. A backsplash replacement alone is quick and you need to live in that light and room to get the best idea of what will work.
  • PRO
    Legacy Builders Group
    5年前

I would recommend keeping it for a while and see how you feel. Pull in a couple of bright colors as accents like yellow, blue or red.

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    5年前
    最終更新:4年前

I would not let a backsplash stop me from living in my home. It's not bad. Yes it has seen better days but it's not like it's hot pink with elephants so move in and enjoy your home. If it continues to bother you, change it eventually.