Houzz Logo Print
moores77

LVP vs Engineered vs Real Wood in a kitchen dining living space

moores77
4年前
Hi, what are you thoughts and experiences of LVP or Engineered or Real Wood flooring in a kitchen dining living space? (In Herringbone?).

Thanks
Shirley

コメント (8)

• moores77
    質問の投稿者
    4年前
    Hi there, here’s my responses to your questions:

22 sq m.
    A new 9mm Ply wood floor over existing but won’t be able to level it out. The floor can be as much as 15mm difference from one side to the other.
    No underfloor heating.
    We’ll be in the property for over 10 yrs.
    2 adults and no pets.
  • PRO
    Walk Interior Architecture & Design
    4年前

LVT will work with the herringbone format very well and it has a lot of wood look/finishes in this material regardless of brand.

floor prep is essential for all methods.

installation more expensive in this format, more so in real wood, which I'd rule out for various reasons.

• moores77
    質問の投稿者
    4年前
    Hi, why would you rule out wood?
  • PRO
    Walk Interior Architecture & Design
    4年前

no advantage over engineered, and is less stable, which has lots of finish options that will work with the herringbone. and solid will more expensive to buy & install for very similar result. LVT will also give a great look and maybe cheaper still. the desire for herringbone format drives this. chevron has a similar, maybe better look, so look into this format as well

• HouzzUser-343559674
    4年前

Thanks for the answers, Moores77. Well, with no kids and pets we'd say you now have a clear run on choosing whatever you want.

LVTs are good for busy households, lots or traffic movement, pets and kids because it's the easiest to maintain and is the most forgivable style of flooring.

With there being no UFH, you can also consider solid wood.

It's now a question of budget vs taste. Generally, solid wood has less design options and you tend to pay more for solid vs engineered. All three products are going to need the same attention on the sub floor so fitting costs will not very much between any one of these options.

It's a question of research, now. Have a look about and see what you fancy. Take your time to research and probably best to go to an independent flooring retailer. Whereabouts are you? If you are local to us you'd be welcome to drop into our showroom and carry out some research with us.

We're in Maidstone, Kent.

We're cute, we're cuddly… we're the Flooring Gurus!

t: 01622 790 356

e: info@flooringmegastore.co.uk

Unsure of our credentials?

Check out our independent, high scoring Trustpilot reviews -> https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/flooringmegastore.co.uk. We currently score 9.4/10

• minnie101
    4年前

Solid wood floor typically isn't recommended in a kitchen, the changes in temperature and humidity can cause the floor to expand and contract. Having said that my brother had parquet fitted 3 years ago in the whole of downstairs and it hasn't been an issue at all (so far!) . It is a large room though with lots of ventilation, extraction, door openings etc.

Engineered wood is recommended however, it may still contract etc but only by a minimal amount and the small expansion gap left around the perimeter is sufficient. You would still need to mop up any spills straightaway and I would recommend ordering slightly over the recommended surplus amount. I'm not sure if this affects all engineered floors (or whether I chose badly so may be worth asking!) but I had a few knots in some of the planks which were "filled" by the manufacturer and over time the Hoover etc knocks out the "filler" which doesn't look great so basically if I was doing it again I would just discard any planks with knots in if you want the floor to remain looking good.

i really like some of the LVT's but they do differ enormously even within the same brand as to what looks realistic. I might consider the architecture of the building with LVT, what period is it?, personally I would use the "design strips" between the planks to make it look more realistic. Is the kitchen already fitted? I ask as my mum had LVT fitted when she had her kitchen done and the planks just run up to the plinths on the units finished with a line of mastic which personally I'm not keen on.

i don't think you can go wrong with a herringbone or chevron (which I slightly prefer) floor though. They're a classic and tend to make a space feel larger (your eyes aren't drawn to the straight lines of planks). I don't know the layout of the kitchen and whether you have an island but the pattern can tend to work in either direction whereas planks sometimes won't. I'm also not keen on "washing" wood floors too frequently but given there aren't pets that shouldn't be a concern.

good luck!

• KXD
    4年前

Minnie101, are those pictures of your kitchen and is the flooring LVT? Tx.